Matilda Tour

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

barmby1234
BRIT Award

Matilda Tour

Post by barmby1234 »

Hi. My son is thirteen and would be interested in the Matilda UK Tour. BUT I have a real dilemma and it worries me. Basically he loves school, works hard and will be choosing his options next year. My worries are that if he was to be accepted for any role in a UK Tour which states it runs over a year. Then would he not miss out on so much at school. Including the friends etc. I know they have a tutor but I feel school is such a part of his life and he is doing well with his studies. YET another part of me says WOW what an opportunity if he was picked. Oh my goodness. He would love it. And such great experience. I don't know what to do for the best. People keep saying choosing his options is big part of his education. Any help or advice would be great.
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Re: Matilda Tour

Post by michbv »

My son is also in the same year at school, works hard, clever, and taking options next year. He is not going for this, not due to that reason. But my advice is, ask your DS what subjects he reckons he wants to take so far. Go to the audition if you are lucky enough to get one. See how far you get down the auditions line, and then have a serious discussion once he gets a feel of the audition, and decisions about school. You may be worrying about nothing. It's hard being a mum and knowing what's best. I've learnt more recently you only get one chance of this world. Go for it and grab with both hands every opportunity. Good luck
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

Most contracts are 6 months so you would not have to commit to a whole year. Why not apply and see how it goes. There will be literally thousands applying for this!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

It's a difficult one. DS was in Billy Elliot for all of year 8, spending most of his time in the 'Billy house' but attending his regular school when he was home - which averaged out to three days every three weeks, whereas with a tour I think he'd been there a bit more. He did find it difficult both socially and educationally at the time (was very happy at Billy, hated regular school, which wasn't like him at all, but he hadn't yet made many good friends as he'd been in Matilda for most of year 7, and he wasn't allowed to do sport at school in case he got injured, which he found boring and embarrassing), but it hasn't had lasting ill effects, and on balance was definitely worth it. We had expected school to communicate with the tutors, but in the end it was 95% down to DS, which was impossible, especially as he wasn't allowed on any social media while under contract, which didn't help the social side either (maybe worth finding out if that's still the case and how supportive school would be). DS is pretty academic, and actually quite likes learning, so ended up ahead in some subjects, behind in others, but hasn't suffered long-term, but I know others did. Do message me if I can help with any specific questions.
Jules3515
Nominee

Post by Jules3515 »

Are you talking about the Manchester auditions? Or have you had details for the London auditions?
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Post by ACookie »

My DD agent has informed me today that agent submitted auditions will be September in London.
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Yes we've had that through today too. Grade 4 dance for ensemble
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

Dogcop wrote:Yes we've had that through today too. Grade 4 dance for ensemble

Is that ballet grade 4 or modern?

Dd is grade 4 modern but not ballet :(
caggiejackson
Nominee

Post by caggiejackson »

My dd just auditioned for Matilda in London last week she is only Grade 3 modern, tap and ballet which I put on form (and double checked when they sent the audition time through). I think they basically want to make it clear that children need to be able to dance well. She didn't get a recall but she's only 8 and it was the first time she had ever been to any audition so she was a little overwhelmed - hoping we can try again one day!
barmby1234
BRIT Award

Post by barmby1234 »

Thanks for all your useful comments. My son has more singing experience than dancing. Do you think it is a good idea for him to take up more dancing classes. He can dance and learn dances very quickly. He would love to perform in The West End. What is the best thing to do while he is at school to work towards Musical Theatre when he finishes school. Performing School Arts College.
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Jo Hawes always answers this question at her workshop by saying the more classes they can do the better!! :D
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

caggiejackson it doesn't specify which dance they have to be grade 4 in. It states that they have to be fantastic character actors, singers and brilliant dancers and grade 4 dance. Ds was Bruce and dance was def his weakest of the three. We were told to make sure his expression and dance was quite aggressive in the audition. Good luck to anybody that goes for it
rebeccas1
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccas1 »

has anyone had the manchester forms to fill in yet?thanks
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

barmby1234 wrote:Thanks for all your useful comments. My son has more singing experience than dancing. Do you think it is a good idea for him to take up more dancing classes. He can dance and learn dances very quickly. He would love to perform in The West End. What is the best thing to do while he is at school to work towards Musical Theatre when he finishes school. Performing School Arts College.
If he really wants to go into MT then sign him up for ballet at least. My DD has got a place to study a BA in MT starting in September and although in all auditions they say that they are looking for potential, some of the dance parts of the auditions have been very demanding and for those who didn't know the terminology or were weaker dancers, it was really tough. Maybe consider NYMT or YMT for next year, as you can include these in your personal statement as professional experience. They start auditioning around December. He has plenty of time, which is an advantage. Any summer courses at local theatre would be great too!
barmby1234
BRIT Award

Post by barmby1234 »

NYMT looks hard to get in. But yes I will try this. Is it residential. Thanks