NYT

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

NYT

Post by Irishdancer »

Has any one heard back from NYT yet don't see any other posts about it for this year
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Re: NYT

Post by possiblypushy »

Don't think we'll know before April. It was 20th April last year when we got an email, so still a while to wait :( .
Fitz
Nominee

Post by Fitz »

I think it mentioned mid-May for National Youth Theatre this year, even later!

From their website:

Already Auditioned?
We’re sending out results to all applicants via email by mid-May.
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

Fitz wrote:I think it mentioned mid-May for National Youth Theatre this year, even later!

From their website:

Already Auditioned?
We’re sending out results to all applicants via email by mid-May.
This is from the email I received this year before DS auditioned:
"Please note that we audition and interview around 5,000 applicants annually, which, as you can imagine is a lengthy process. Everybody will receive a result in due course, but this may take several months. Due to the volume of applications, we cannot accept phone calls to the office, unless it is to cancel your interview.

Results are usually released in April by email.
"

I hadn't seen mid-May mentioned! It will make it a bit difficult to book summer holidays if we have to wait so long.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Last date I remember seeing was 'by end of May'. I'm glad to hear it may be sooner, though DS is 100% convinced it's a no. He keeps telling me not to bother waiting to make summer arrangements.
arianadrama
BRIT Award

Post by arianadrama »

Yes DS got his no email on the 20th April last year too. Hoping it will not be too much later this year but I too have seen something suggesting mid May!!! Think it was on the website because they have had an unprecedented number of applicants! He'll be deep into GCSEs by mid May! 8-[
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

It does say BY mid May - perhaps that is just covering their backs so that if they are later than usual at least people know. Also, if people are offered a place and cannot accept, then those on the reserve list are contacted. Hopefully people won't have to wait until then.
All new to me!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

DS has a recall for Zigger Zagger - given that he was 100% convinced it hadn't gone well, he's as amazed as he is pleased. (And I'm relieved I didn't book a holiday based on his certainty that's he'd be available.)
the mumster
BRIT Award

Post by the mumster »

Now I'm quite confused - I though they were offered to join the company as a whole, not for individual productions?
Its the posh, posh travelling life, the travelling life for me ......
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

the mumster wrote:Now I'm quite confused - I though they were offered to join the company as a whole, not for individual productions?
It is confusing! The first year that someone is successful, however old they are, they do an NYT Intake Acting Course - there's no production, though when DS did his two years ago, that was the first time that they invited parents to see a 'sharing' of what they'd been doing at the end.

After that they can audition each year (till they're 25) to be in productions. These are called 'casting auditions' - for the first round of auditions, they hadn't said what shows they'd be doing, but they announced them yesterday. If you do get into a show, it's free to take part!

https://www.nyt.org.uk/about-us/news/20 ... nouncement
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

So, after the elation of DS getting a recall, we took time to read all the info, and we're upset and annoyed. The show he has been recalled for runs from 1st rehearsal 7 August (perfect) to performances 7-9 September, which would mean missing the first week of school!

Even if school would give permission, which I think is pretty unlikely (we'll ask after the holidays), he'll be going into the Sixth Form and quite rightly doesn't want to miss anything. After a very interrupted period when he was in Matilda and Billy Elliot, which was wonderful but had an impact academically and more so socially, he really wants to commit to school now. (He's even decided he doesn't want an agent any more so he can take part in school drama without the constant uncertainty.)

I've emailed the NYT, but I can't imagine they'll change anything. Obviously they have dates and venues booked. I've asked if he could be considered for another show, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Any thoughts?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

Sorry, no real advice, except to say that I find the whole NYT thing endlessly confusing.
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

So glad to find this thread as was wondering when dd would hear.

Talya - are the shows evenings? So he may not need to miss school? What a shame if not - that will surely affect so many students.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

newgirl wrote:Talya - are the shows evenings? So he may not need to miss school? What a shame if not - that will surely affect so many students.
No, it said they'd need to be available daytimes too, for teching etc, some days at least. D'S was then recalled for another show, with better dates, and then had a second recall for that last weekend so we're now waiting to hear. His school wouldn't give permission for the other one. As NYT goes up to 20-something, I wondered if maybe that show is mainly people who aren't school age, but it is a shame.
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

One of my students has got into one of the projects that starts 2 weeks before she starts her A level exams and she is going to have to leave school early and take her exams at another centre if she wants to take part fitting in rehearsals around her exams which seems crazy! It does seem odd that they don't seem to take notice of the fact that some of them are still students. It is a youth theatre after all! ](*,)