London Studio Centre

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

London Studio Centre

Post by beanie-bean »

Hello NAPM'ers
Does anyone have any dc's at London Studio Centre? My dd and I attended a couple of their open days, and watched the Spring Showcase and were quite impressed. Initially we didn't think it was affordable as the fees are quite high, and the student loan doesn't cover half of it. However I can see that they offer means tested bursaries, and I'm wondering if we may just be able to do it. It will still be very expensive but my dd absolutely loved the open day and audition. Any info, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
princess1
BRIT Award

Re: London Studio Centre

Post by princess1 »

My DD is in her 2nd year at LSC and loving it! The standard of training is very good, with a lot of the teachers currently working in the ndustry too! She has come on massively! Everything I have watched has been to a very high standard! Can't help with any info regarding bursaries I'm afraid but we are managing to afford it! You only get £6000 from student finance towards fees and the rest we pay monthly by direct debit over 10myths. DD gets a good maintenance loan so we don't have to help her out in any other way and rental in north finchley is very well priced for London
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thank you Princess1. Yes the maintanance loan, and also the student loan does make it possible for us and I think we would get a bit with the means tested LSC bursary (I would need to check if we are legible). We would need to remortgage and borrow the shortfall for the 3 years so it's a big decision to make. Can you tell me how many students they have in the classes? And what a typical day includes ?
Thank you xxx
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Hi Beanie-Bean, I have 2 daughters at LSC and they are both thriving there. It's a wonderful school and their alumni are everywhere. I would really recommend it. The number of students in a class depends on the class and the level. In Ballet, for example, DD1 is in a small class of about 12 and DD2 in a much bigger one of about 25. But DD2's jazz class has about 10 people in it. A typical day would be a Ballet class, a lecture, a Jazz or Contemporary class, IPD if they have chosen it or else Singing/Drama and whatever option they have picked for the term. My DDs get £6000 from SF for the fees, then they have maintenance loans and if your SF loans are high, you can also get a bursary going towards your fees from LSC directly.

Any more questions you have, I'd be happy to answer.
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thank you afab, It sounds fantastic. My dd went to the recall today and really enjoyed it. Are your dd's at home or are they renting? We were sent a list of some accomodation but everything seemed quite far away. However it is in a residential area so I'm sure she could sort something out a bit closer (If she's accepted, that is. Fingers crossed). Also please can you tell me what tine they start and finish their day? Sorry for all the questions. Xxx
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

I would also like to agree with both Princess1 and abfab

My daughter is in year 2 and is thriving, the standard of teachers is fantastic and classes are of a good size.

The first year my daughter stayed at chester house in Muswell hill which was a good transition from living at home to living on her own, as they supply the meals and it was good for her to meet other students from LSC. For her second year 5 of the girls from chester house all rent a 5 bedroom house in north Finchley 10 mins walk from LSC.
princess1
BRIT Award

Post by princess1 »

They have full days - start at 9 and some days finish 6.30! Class sizes vary, some really small, it depends on what options they choose! They have compulsory classes they have to do - ballet, jazz,contemporary, singing and drama I think. Then they have so many options per term - my DD has done hip-hop, commercial, tap, acting through song to name a few!
We rented privately from the 1st year as that's what she wanted - met up with others through the freshers page LSC set up. That turned out to be quite challenging for a number of reasons!! She's in a rented flat with 2 of the girls she shared with last year, it's 5 minute walk from LSC - there are plenty around there and she's very happy!
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

DD1 is renting a house with 4 second years she met last year. They walk to school everyday, it takes 1/2 hr but they like it. She was at Chester House last year where DD2 is now. Starting and finishing times change depending on days and terms. Some very long days and some shorter ones... Both DDs are very happy there... Good luck with the results!
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Thank you Lorry, princess and Afab. DD thinks they liked her, so we will wait and see. Xxxx
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Can anybody with DC’s at LSC tell me how many options you can take from the M403 Skills for Versatility module in year 1 and M503 Personal and Professional Development module in year 2? Thank you :-k
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

Fullmoon wrote:Can anybody with DC’s at LSC tell me how many options you can take from the M403 Skills for Versatility module in year 1 and M503 Personal and Professional Development module in year 2? Thank you :-k
Just asked my dd who is currently in 3rd year her answer is as follows

You take 1 option in term 1 and 2 options in term 2 and at the start of term 3 You then do show work for majority of third term in the first year.
Then 2nd year its 2 options per term.
However the course has changed slightly now as you get streamed on your first and second year now.

Hope that helps and makes sense

:)
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Hi Lorry! Thank you. Yes, that makes sense! That’s great. More than we thought! ! ...and yes, they stream them straight away now, which is why we’re trying to decide which would be best - as originally we thought she’d have the first year to decide, but alas no! She’s undecided between the ballet and jazz stream - leaning more towards ballet I think - but said she wouldn’t want to lose things like her tap or jazz. Thanks again.
Lorry
BRIT Award

Post by Lorry »

Fullmoon wrote:Hi Lorry! Thank you. Yes, that makes sense! That’s great. More than we thought! ! ...and yes, they stream them straight away now, which is why we’re trying to decide which would be best - as originally we thought she’d have the first year to decide, but alas no! She’s undecided between the ballet and jazz stream - leaning more towards ballet I think - but said she wouldn’t want to lose things like her tap or jazz. Thanks again.
No worries let me know if you need anything further I’m sure I would be able to find out. She is on the musical theatre route but initially was wanting to go the jazz route.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

This is my DD's answer, she's in year 2:

For the first year, I'm not to sure cause it's not the same as last year but I believe you get 1 option in the first term and then 2 options for the second term.

For the 2nd year, you get 2 options for the two first terms. And in the third term you don't have options you get extra rep instead.

Hope it helps!
Fullmoon
BRIT Award

Post by Fullmoon »

Thank you afab! That’s great. I really appreciate you and Lorry taking the time to ask your DD’s :D