Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

DOFFILER1
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by DOFFILER1 »

Hi Lindy7 I completely agree with you about the stress !! When my DD was 17 she did the summer pre-audition course at Urdang and thankfully this made her realize that she wasn't ready to audition. She has spent the last year doing a foundation course and has changed so much. Nearly 19,this is her first year of auditions and she has a place at Urdang to start September on the Diploma, which was her first choice. No funding though or Dada but that's another story ! All of her friends are at Uni and do not understand the process that they have to go through to get a place at Drama school ! Sounds like your DD has the determination that she will need to succeed, and the foundation courses really prepare them for that next level. Good luck with the GSA recall !
lindy7
BRIT Award

Post by lindy7 »

Hi DOFFILER1
Thanks for your kind comments and congratulations on your daughter gaining a place at Urdang my DD really loved it there and will reaudition there again at the end of the year if nothing comes from her recall at GSA. Unfortunately we are not in a position to afford the foundation offers she has had so she will work a lot in the summer save some money and go again at the end of the year and fingers crossed it will prove more fruitful! It is definitely harder to get into drama school then anything else as on her academic grades she could get a top university to study law but she is determined to stick with drama for now so we will see!!
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Students on foundation at GSA should be entitled to get housing benefit if that helps at all.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd1 also had 'no's - first year of applying for acting courses.She plans to work (she has a lot of experience working with children and doing 1:1's with children with SEN) and apply again next year. She finishes her Foundation course this year and plans to join a local youth theatre company. Dd2 has 6 offers - she has 2 funding auditions to go and waiting to hear from the previous funding auditions. Hate all the waiting :( Will be glad when it's over now but hoping she gets some funding.
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Funding letters out today for Cambridge Bodyworks !!
DD has Dada and will stay on after Foundation ....very VERY happy bunnies all round \:D/ \:D/
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

DanceDiva wrote:Funding letters out today for Cambridge Bodyworks !!
DD has Dada and will stay on after Foundation ....very VERY happy bunnies all round \:D/ \:D/
YAY! so pleased. I think Bodyworks is amazing .. I think it sometimes gets overlooked as one of the top Performing Arts Establishments...
DD is in the 2nd year and LOVING It all..hard work though
x
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
soda
BRIT Award

Post by soda »

Oscar, have sent you a pm x
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I haven't received one soda. I've now sent you one.
soda
BRIT Award

Post by soda »

My fault Oscar, you should have it now x
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Word of warning to those auditioning next year for Urdang - read your email received after the first audition VERY carefully.
Dd2's email said this:

'Congratulations! You have successfully passed the first round audition and you have a place at the Urdang Academy for September 2016!
You are now invited to attend a funding recall audition and interview. At this audition you will be assessed for a funded place on our three-year Performers' Diploma Course leading to the Diploma in Professional Dance or Musical Theatre. Your next steps are:
LOG-IN TO YOUR URDANG STUDENT RECORD AND ACCEPT YOUR OFFER
YOU SHOULD ATTEND YOUR RECALL ON THE 23RD APRIL
IF YOU ARE ALLOCATED ANOTHER DATE PRESS 'NO' ON 'ACCEPT THIS AUDITION DATE' AND SELECT 23RD APRIL INSTEAD
PLEASE CONFIRM THE DATE
THE START AND END TIME OF THE DAY WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU ONCE YOU HAVE CONFIRMED. IT MAY BE A LATER FINISH THAN AT YOUR FIRST AUDITION
If you have any queries about this process please contact us.
During the audition day you will be re-assessed in ballet and jazz classes, in solo singing and interviewed. Please bring with you the same clothes and shoes as before. You may use the same songs and sheet music as at your first audition. You will not have to prepare an acting monologue as we will assess your acting ability through your performance in solo singing.
Please could you also provide us with the email address of a referee on the staff of your school or college.
The tuition fee for the Diploma programme for 2016/17 will be £12,210.00 per annum and may be subject to an increase each academic year. At your audition you will be considered for a fee reduction bursary, scholarships and a Dance and Drama Award (subject to eligibility). There is a £75 enrolment fee if you wish to be considered for all funding awards.
If you are not accepted onto the Diploma you will be offered a confirmed place on our one year Foundation course. The tuition fee for this intensive training course will be £7500.00.
We look forward to seeing you for your recall!
If you need to contact us please email admissions@theurdangacademy.com
Yours sincerely,

Will Bird
Admissions Manager'

We paid £75 thinking she was being considered for the 3 year Diploma (she had done 5 auditions previously and had 5 Diploma places). We were not alone in thinking this but discovered at the Recall audition that she had been considered for the Foundation during the interview (she had done the dance class only at this stage). She was shocked, as she is currently doing a pre-voc and has 5 Diploma offers out of 6 auditions. If we had been aware of this, we would not have paid £75 and would not have attended the recall audition. This is the first year that Urdang have done this and it seems, have caught many parents and dancers unaware. They recalled over 600 for funding - times £75 by that number and they have made £45,000 - call me cynical but it does seem as though they were out to make money and I suppose one way of being able to support top up fees - I just wish we had been more astute :(
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

That seems very naughty...surely they won't take on all 600 recalled? A lot of disappointed auditionees I would imagine. Where else does your dd have offers for?
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

She has offers for Bodyworks, Millennium, Performers, Laine and Bird....just waiting to hear from funding auditions (plus Performers Scholarship audition tomorrow).
Looks like everyone got the same emailed letter - just wanted to warn people to check their emails carefully and contact Urdang if in doubt....if we had, we would have saved £75 plus overnight accommodation and travel costs :(
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

Very naughty by Urdang. Doesn't do anything to dispel the impression that they and others treat the audition fees as a money spinner. That said there is something here that doesn't stack up. There is nothing in the email to suggest that a possible outcome is not getting a place. So I don't see how 600 people were given funding recall auditions. I thought they only take around 150 over BA/diploma/foundation. Or have I missed the point? Or are they hoping that the ones who don't get funding will just withdraw because they can't afford it? That's a huge risk.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

That is indeed a badly written letter - I read it as a place at Urdang and the audition being to decide between diploma and degree - right until that sentence near the end. If they have indeed recalled 600 people, it would seem like dodgy practice a money spinning exercise. I should say though that not everyone got that same emailed letter. I know of at least 2 who were offered the foundation course straight off and did not get that letter. There is no way Urdang could take on 600 students so although you and your DD have clearly been misled, there must be more to this.
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

These are different to the letters sent out last year, so maybe just needs pointing out to Urdang that the letter is not written well and is a little misleading! Although I have a friend who was offered foundation straight out so not sure if different letters are been sent to different people.

However with regards to the money, as far as I know the money they make from this goes back to the students as fee reductions. So I guess if you want to be considered for a dada and for fee reduction scholarship then you pay and hope you get one, which is what we did.
There are a lot of students on fee reduction scholarship ranging from 10% up to 100% so it is worth paying if you are then lucky enough to be offered it. I guess its a chance you take.

There are about 140 students in year 1 split over degree and diploma and then the foundation students on top of that.

From my experience last year I think all colleges offer more places than they have, I guess they know the % of students who will accept/decline the places.
Bring it on!!!