Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

villagepeople
Nominee

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by villagepeople »

Was anyone else's DC At the Arts Ed audition today? There were about 150 girls, of whom only 4 made it through to the afternoon. My DD wasn't one of them but she was really pleased with how it went - she was one of only a couple in her group who were asked to sing again which everyone said was a positive sign (it seems that all those recalled had been asked to sing twice). It's her first year of auditioning and whilst she was obviously a little disappointed, she came out really positive about the experience. So it's onwards and upwards! She's only applied to a couple of places this year, because it's a lot to juggle on top of sixth form, so she may end up taking a year out and then auditioning again next year once her A levels are out of the way. Good luck to all of you with DCs auditioning this year - it's a stressful process for us, isn't it!
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

My daughter was there and like yours was not called back , she traveled from Scotland with a friend who was was called back in , so my daughter had to make her own way back to flat , she was really disappointed but said she did well , sang twice , has Trinity tomorrow so onwards and upwards , apparently over 1800 applied to Arts fo approx 60 places !
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

Dd2 got an email from Millennium today with an offer of a place on the 3 year Diploma course so 2 offers so far :)
Good luck to everyone - bit mixed in our house as dd2 has offers and dd1 hasn't yet but still more auditions to go for them both.
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

oscar wrote:A foundation course at a reputable school can sometimes be the answer. Don't look at it as second best , just a different route. I know not everyone is in the fortunate position of funding one but if you are ..... The competition is so high and an extra year to mature, polish , choose the right material can be worth it's weight in gold. The courses vary hugely, so it's worth comparing the content,hours and success rates.
Thanks for this , might be an option
villagepeople
Nominee

Post by villagepeople »

My daughter spoke to one of the second year students at Arts Ed today. Apparently, he had no offers the first year he auditioned, then the next year he was offered a foundation place at GSA. After doing that, the next year he got a number of offers for three-year courses, including Arts Ed, which he took. So a foundation year definitely seems to be a good option, IF you can afford it (which we can't!) Good luck to your DD at Trinity tomorrow.
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

Caroline A-C wrote:Lindy7, my ds was turned down for GSA after first audition and also turned down for Mountview. However, he got into Arts Ed first time round so don't be put off. I think each college is looking for something that only they know. Not getting past the first audition is no indication of anything. My ds was very down after getting rejected. I told him to just go to the other auditions and enjoy the experience and anything else was a bonus.
Thanks for this Caroline , D has had 2 no auditions , Arts and GSA , felt really upset myself today , she has been at Dance School of Scotland for 4 years doing MT alongside her academic studies , I am up in Scotland , so could only speak to her by phone and tell her to keep her chin up ! She's a strong girl , has Trinity tomorrow . My friend's daugher is at Arts told me that the colleges and Universities are all looking for different things , they have to be resilient our young people it's a tough game , I had a wee tear myself won't see my girl until Thursday , hope Trinity goes well for her and her friends , 4 of them auditioning tomorrow . FIngers crossed
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Good luck for trinity tomorrow . There is a good chance they will ask her to do a written exam. They play a piece of music and ask them to write about it and the character they feel is portraying the piece. I think ds had ragtime but I guess they change it all the time. It was a good audition day and he got treated as an individual and got to have a very in depth interview. Good luck for tomorrow . Fingers crossed .
villagepeople
Nominee

Post by villagepeople »

Trinity wasn't on our radar this year (it wasn't on the list of places recommended to my daughter by her drama school) but I've just looked at their website and their musical theatre degree does look good. Do any of you have a DC there at the moment and, if so, would you recommend it? Could well be one for my DD to consider if she does end up auditioning again next year. Thanks.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

villagepeople wrote:My daughter spoke to one of the second year students at Arts Ed today. Apparently, he had no offers the first year he auditioned, then the next year he was offered a foundation place at GSA. After doing that, the next year he got a number of offers for three-year courses, including Arts Ed, which he took. So a foundation year definitely seems to be a good option, IF you can afford it (which we can't!) Good luck to your DD at Trinity tomorrow.
While a Foundation course may be a good option don't worry you are disadvantaging your kids if you can't afford one. The first year my DD auditioned she had lots of recalls but no places. Like you, a foundation course was not something we could even contemplate due to cost ( may have been easier if she could have lived at home, but probably still too expensive). She took a gap year, worked (the money really came in handy later !) whilst carrying on singing, dancing and performing. The second year of auditions she had offers from Central, GSA, Mountview, East 15 and reserve places at Arts Ed And Rise Bruford. I think if they still just 18 the first time round they can come across as young and the extra year of maturity helped. So go down foundation route if you can, but don't worry if you can't! (No-one on my DDs course had done one though only 2 were 18, the rest were older).
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
villagepeople
Nominee

Post by villagepeople »

Thanks, Welshmum, that's really reassuring to hear. My DD will do the same if things don't work out for her this year - continue with her acting, singing and dancing, whilst working to save some money. She also wants to throw herself back into the local youth theatre scene as she's not done that this academic year because of the pressure of A levels. It will be great for her to have those behind her, and really be able to focus on auditioning and training. She's not yet 18 and whilst she would love to go this year, I can't help thinking that she will be far more ready next year.
bethjinty66
BRIT Award

Post by bethjinty66 »

Thanks everyone for supporting words , D said Trinity was a very positive experience they asked her to sing a couple of times and later in day asked her where she had applied to and then asked her to perform her own dance piece , she said only 3 ,4 were asked to do this , so happy she feeling a bit more positive. Will see her tomorrow when she returns home to Scotland . Can anyone advise on Millenium College for MT course ? thanks , Well done to those of you with offers
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

Ahhh, that sounds very optimistic , ds said it was very obvious on his audition day who they were considering .All crossed for her.
villagepeople
Nominee

Post by villagepeople »

That does sound positive, bethjinty. I bet you can't wait to see her tomorrow. It's such a tough process for them - I know I could never have done it! My DD had an offer from Chichester today which, whilst not her top choice, gave her a confidence boost. Apparently, they had 900 applications for 50 places so 'even' the less prestigious schools are incredibly competitive. She has GSA tomorrow - which is where she'd love to go but I dread to think how many applications they've had!
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Good Luck everyone - my dd now midway through 2nd year at Laine but remember well what you and your dc are going through, I try and remember everything happens for a reason and whatever the outcome the auditions are a great experience for them - the careers they want will be filled with ups and downs, hang in there ;) :) xx
lindy7
BRIT Award

Post by lindy7 »

Hi all
My DD has had auditions for Royal Welsh (acting) and GSA, Mountview and Urdang so far there has been a foundation recall for GSA and a foundation place offer from Urdang so she is very disappointed it is hard seeing them so upset! She is still only 17 and wont be 18 until April but I think she thought she would do better! She has Arts Ed, Lippa and Central to go but I agree with other peoples comments on here that age and different looks wanted for each school comes into the play. She will audition again end of the year again but am worried the same will happen again and it might well be that she is just not good enough as surely if you are very talented they would take you first time??! Feeling stressed and negative at present sorry people!!