Audition Songs!!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Audition Songs!!

Post by dancingmoll »

Hi everyone, seeing as this is the hot spot for musical theatre knowledge, I was wondering if you could help out me and my DD. She's having trouble finding a suitable contemporary character song for her upcoming auditions, and with them being so soon she is getting a bit stressed out about it! She has a song 'Safer- First Date' but her singing teacher doesn't think it shows her full potential, last year she sang 'Pulled - The Adamms Family' which suited her very well but she's not keen on singing the same song this year. So if anyone has any suggestions, previous successful audition songs etc we would be seriously grateful! Thanks in advance :)
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: Audition Songs!!

Post by oscar »

I have heard that pulled isn't a favourite with audition panels ( maybe too much of a character song ) look at the older musicals eg music man , she loves me , pyjama game as I don't think you can go wrong with a decent legit song. More modern ones maybe look at sister act, secret garden ( really lovely musical ) footloose if she is comfortable with her song choice and it gives her a chance to act her socks off , preferably has a key change , then don't worry too much. If the want to hear more they will get her to do her other song.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

I agree with Oscar.. you cant beat a good legit song. Look at older musicals of the 1940s and 1950s...Good luck x where is she applying for?
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

Fab , thank you Oscar i'll let DD know your recommendations tomorrow as I don't think she's looked at any of those musicals! Really appreciate your help :D Her singing teacher is forever telling her to find a legit song but doesn't have any suggestions her self, so a big help! jasmine2 DD is going for Bird, Urdang, Millenium, Central, GSA, Mountview, Chichester Uni, Laines and Arts Ed!
bop2thetop
GRAMMY Award

Post by bop2thetop »

Hi dancing moll. It really depends on what suits her. Is she a Soprano, Mezzo or Alto? Also is she better at ballads or upbeat? Although it's good to have both. One she is able to act through is always a good one. Also something that not every other person is doing. So try and avoid songs from musicals currently on at the West End. Suggestions from me are The Life I Never Led from Sister Act, Watch What Happens from Newsies, Your Daddys Son from Ragtime, Maybe This Time from Cabaret and With You from Ghost. My DD got in to GSA with Your Daddys Son and Watch What Happens so those two worked for her. Good luck :D
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Can I also say not to concentrate on just one/two songs? Ideally an auditionee should have a folder if sings, with at least two of every genre, style etc. It is not unusual to be asked to sing something different. You should feel equally comfortable with alternatives.

Other than that agree with the previous comments - a lot depends on your DDs range and strengths.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

Can anyone suggest a couple of good legit songs for a soprano please?
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

jennifer1972 wrote:Can anyone suggest a couple of good legit songs for a soprano please?
Bill from Showboat, Something Wonderful from The King and I, Many a New Day from Oklahoma.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

DD sang an Andrew Lloyd Webber & a Disney last year against everyone's advise - but it worked well for her voice

There are lots of lists on line suggesting songs to sing or not to sing
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

If anyone lives in Hertfordshire, there is an amazing Performing Arts Library in Welwyn Garden City, with sheet music/score from pretty much any musical that you can take out on your library card...they also have playscripts, monologues etc...we have spent many an hour or two there with DD sitting on the floor surrounded by books when she was deciding which song to use for her auditions. Luckily it paid off and she is in her second year on the MT course at Bodyworks ad loving it.

Good luck to all those auditioning this year :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

I'll just put 'So much better' from Legally Blonde out there really only because it is a contemporary character song but may be far too commercial sounding. Slow and emotional at the start then builds and builds with a massively long belting note at the end. No idea what audition panels would think of it though!
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

jasmine2 wrote:If anyone lives in Hertfordshire, there is an amazing Performing Arts Library in Welwyn Garden City, with sheet music/score from pretty much any musical that you can take out on your library card...they also have playscripts, monologues etc...we have spent many an hour or two there with DD sitting on the floor surrounded by books when she was deciding which song to use for her auditions. Luckily it paid off and she is in her second year on the MT course at Bodyworks ad loving it.

Good luck to all those auditioning this year :D
Wow that's great to know!! Thanks for sharing that!! =D>
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

jasmine2 wrote:If anyone lives in Hertfordshire, there is an amazing Performing Arts Library in Welwyn Garden City, with sheet music/score from pretty much any musical that you can take out on your library card...they also have playscripts, monologues etc...we have spent many an hour or two there with DD sitting on the floor surrounded by books when she was deciding which song to use for her auditions.
I didn't know that either. Thank you.
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

My pleasure..obviously you need to have a Hertfordshire Library card, but the staff are so helpful and friendly too.. Well worth a visit
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

DD is desperate to find a copy of 'Going Home' from Scottsboro boys - but apparently it hasn't been published yet :(

There are some fab songs available from Memphis - but I wonder if that is too new