Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by islandofsodor »

For mysical theatre colleges it would be looking for accreditation by Drama UK or CDET
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

I saw this blog a while ago from The MTA Online and thought it was interesting, and probably explains why the newer colleges are not accredited. While they may not be big rivals to the top colleges yet, there does seem to be a few quite successful colleges not on the list. http://www.thepublicreviews.com/blog-an ... -approval/
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

dancingmoll - would you be eligible for DADA? What about Performers/Laine/Masters/Bodyworks? Good luck to everyone starting auditions this week :D
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Whilst I agree with the sentiments in the article The issue with going to a CDET or Drama UK accredited course is that you are eligible for Spotlight entry on graduation.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I am sure the training is good and I don't think that is being questioned . If a DC has a recognised qualification they may be able to use it for other things eg teaching . Whereas a diploma that isn't accredited may prove useless in any other walk of life . DS friend who attended MTA had a fab time and got lots of support whereas another friend on a musical theatre uni degree course is not enjoying it ,but is sticking with it for the degree at the end.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

All these posts are interesting and are all valid perspectives. Bottom line is that it depends what your DD/DS wants to do. A degree or going to an accredited college probably never got anyone a part in itself. Auditions do that. Good agents get you in the door. As pointed out if DD/DS is looking longer term then a degree will help them get a job outside the industry. But again you don't need a DC degree to set up a successful dance school or to coach singing. Hard to know what guidance to give them. Just to say also that we know two people, one male one female, who went to one of the top 3 DCs and did the degree, and have pretty much never worked in the business with even moderate success. So that's no guarantee either. All very confusing :D .
yorshiremum
BRIT Award

Post by yorshiremum »

Totally agree. There are no guarantees in this business! After DD going through the auditions last year, I can only say go with your gut instinct of where seems the right fit. The auditions do give a good feel for the place and style of teaching. There are lots of things to consider as important such as agent showcases, contact hours, quality of training and looking at their alumni, but also everyones DC is different and do need to look at their niche and what they want to achieve. All the colleges have areas they excel in more than others. It's also down to where you get offers from sadly too so not as much choice as we might like! :roll:
Sweep
BRIT Award

Post by Sweep »

I just wanted to post a massive thank you to the NAPM forum. My dd was beginning her MT auditions last year when we heard about The IAB in Sitges, Barcelona on this forum. After looking at their website and talking to a few more people my dd decided to look round and audition. Once all her auditions had finished and reviewing the offers she decided on IAB and after just coming back from a few days visiting her we could not be more happy. Amazing facilities, tutors, opportunities and not a bad place to spend three years and for us to visit. If anyone wants info please do message me, but if it wasn't for NAPM as it is quite new, we may not of heard about it so thank you =D> =D> :lol:
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

aww so glad she is enjoying it

It is such a relief to know that you have picked the right place as 3 year courses are such a huge commitment. We felt the same last year when dd was auditioning. Whilst she loved all the places she was offered she went with Bodyworks Cambridge and hasn't looked back..Small classes, streamed on ability and such a great feel about the place. truly believe that you walk into a place and just 'feel' it,

Good luck to her and to everyone in whirlwind process of the auditions this year x :D
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Thats brilliant news Sweep - didn't realise thats where she ended up, as you say what a fantastic place to spend 3 years :lol:
Sweep
BRIT Award

Post by Sweep »

It's so true Jasmine2 it is great when your gut feeling guides you in the right direction. Hi Suesmith, hope M is enjoying Laines. Happy times. Those that are in the midst of auditions keep strong and focused it will be worth it.
X
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

I think we all agree with the gut thing. In his first year of auditioning ds set his heart on a college and got into lots of places but not the one he really loved. He decided to do a foundation somewhere else and was successful the next year and is living his dream. Good luck to your dd.
dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Post by dancingmoll »

suesmith wrote:dancingmoll - would you be eligible for DADA? What about Performers/Laine/Masters/Bodyworks? Good luck to everyone starting auditions this week :D
We are eligible for a Dada yes, but only just! Last year DD was offered a diploma at Urdang and given a scholarship but no DaDa (which we couldn't afford) so I wonder if they tend to dish out the DaDa out to those with the lower incomes? We're veering away from diploma only colleges simply and unfortunately because we couldn't in any way afford to pay the fees if she didn't get the DaDa which seems like a likely possibility!
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

My dd is on a dada at Urdang, the people she knows that have dada funding are on varying amounts of support from low income to only just eligible so I would say that they are given out on merit and nothing else.
Bring it on!!!
ajbew
BRIT Award

Post by ajbew »

Good luck to anyone attending the first Mountview auditions tomorrow. My DS started there in September and is absolutely loving it :D