sylvia young full time school offer

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

clairelouise41
Nominee

sylvia young full time school offer

Post by clairelouise41 »

hi there. I'm new to here. My daughter has just been offered a full time paid place at sylvia young theatre school following successful auditions. I was really impressed with the school and everything that I have seen so far, but wondered if anyone had any experience of it , good or bad, that they would share with us? I'm pretty sure she will want to go but first hand knowledge is always useful! She does musical theatre classes and has just been in a show with them and is taking part in a christmas production at a london theatre so she really has the performing bug!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: sylvia young full time school offer

Post by Dogcop »

Hi, DS is in year 11 and it has been a fantastic time for him. Feel free to PM
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

my dd was a full timer (for 6 years) and head girl there 4 years ago. It is a wonderful school both academically and vocationally. It is very hard work and the children are pushed all the way to be the best that they can be, but it has such a wonderful family feel about the place.
Feel free to pm me for any further info....good luck
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
clairelouise41
Nominee

Post by clairelouise41 »

Thanks both so much. I have tried to pm you both but I can't get the messages to go through for some reason. Really just wanted to make sure that the pastoral care was good, that the kids had a good relationship with each other, find out whether a lot of the kids go on to work professionally, all of those things. She will have to travel in from surrey, with our help at the beginning, and we have 2 young ones too so its a big juggle but one that we are very willing to make!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Your pm has come through-will answer!
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

I have your PM too and have replied.

My DD would love to do her 6 years at SY all over again...lol

But is very happy at Bodyworks Cambridge now...
I believe that children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.......
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

On this site PMs stay in your outbox until the person you have sent it to reads it, this confuses a lot of people. On a normal e-mail account if it is in your outbox it means it hasn't gone.
Wickednellie
BRIT Award

Post by Wickednellie »

My daughter is currently there so feel free to pm
Neelia
Nominee

Post by Neelia »

My daughter has been offered at place at Sylvia Young for Year 6. Can anyone offer any advice about Year 6/7 entry and their experience of the same?
Wickednellie
BRIT Award

Post by Wickednellie »

Well done to your daughter, if you have any questions feel free to inbox.
conceetalips
BRIT Award

Post by conceetalips »

Hello All,

I am hoping to get some advice. My dd would love to go to SYTS and we are considering letting her audition. Would anyone be kind enough to share some advice/experience on the school. She has been to the Summer School and had a fantastic time and I was very impressed. I hoping to get some input on the academic side and what life is like post 16? I have also heard of Arts Ed and no nothing of the school. Really need advice !!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Hi, DS has just finished year 11. It has been a fantastic 5 years for him with lots of opportunities and lovely memories. GCSE results came through yesterday and he has fantastic results and all of his friends from the school have done really well too. They only have academic lessons three days a week and he has worked loads during the 5 years, so I am really pleased with the results. Most of the year 11s are going on to vocational colleges instead of doing sixth form elsewhere.Some are going to places such as Arts Ed where they can study for A levels too. Good luck with your decision making and feel free to PM if you have any questions
jasmine2
BAFTA Award

Post by jasmine2 »

My dd spent 6 very happy years at the SY full time school and was Head Girl in yr 11. It is a wonderful place, but is hard work. Academics are taught on 3 days a week, and vocational studies on the other 2 days. If the children are working professionally during academic days, they have to catch up with the work before the next lesson. The school offers wonderful support and it has a real family feel about it. The children are streamed vocationally in some of the dance lessons.

I would say go for it , Sylvia and her team are dedicated to all the pupils and most of the west end shows that have children in, come from the SY school.

Please feel free to PM if you want anymore advice

Good luckxx
Tatty t
GRAMMY Award

Post by Tatty t »

My dd has spent 5 years at sy and has had an amazing time. She has just got her results and has done fantastic so I could not speak more highly of the school. She is off to urdang next week and could not have done it all without the school
I would def go for it
conceetalips
BRIT Award

Post by conceetalips »

Thank you all so much!

It's so lovely to hear such positive feedback. I think we will let her audition and take each step as it comes. It is also extremely reassuring to hear that you are all happy with the academic side of the school too. DD has some learning difficultly and I am wondering if that might be something of an obstacle, however I am sure the school also provides children who require additional academic support.

I have been away over the weekend but will Pm if that's still ok.

Thanks again, having this support is such a great help!