Auditioning for 2016

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dancingmoll
BRIT Award

Re: Auditioning for 2016

Post by dancingmoll »

jaybeeyellow wrote:GSA have 2 rounds of auditions. One short audition , then a second recall audition.Surely, they should not feel the need to then look at the academic abilities of theses students as well. It is vastly unfair that some are admitted with 'just' a BTEC, and others have to get really high grades. This is an unlevel playing field.As someone has already said, there is a vast difference between the Btec and A levels.
Also Surrey is not a Russell group uni. My other daughter is studying law at a red brick, with similar entry requirements to Those asked for by Surrey. She would never have considered going there though, because, it is not Russell group, and has no reputation. Therefore, future employers would not consider her. Simple as that.
I have to disagree with your demeaning comments towards Surrey University, its just this weekend been ranked number 8 by The Sunday Times 'Good University Guide' for overall rank. Beating ALL of the red bricks and many of those in the Russell group, on top of this its been awarded 'University of the year' by The Sunday Times and The Times for both overall and student experience! It's most definitely a university to be reckoned with, it's reputation is sky high - maybe this is why grade boundaries are now so high!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

I think it's a numbers game with GSA. In a previous year they offered too many places expecting many to go to Arts Ed and the like and were too full.

Since 2013, universities have been able to offer unlimited numbers of places to students who achieve ABB or above at A-level, so I'm guessing that explains the cut off for a hugely over-subscribed course. I think that limits have been lifted for 2015/2016 but I read that the performance courses are relatively expensive to run because of the high contact hours, so are in part subsidised by other departments. I imagine that the University of Surrey are unwilling to subsidise any more than the number on the course if grades are not achieved.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I'm afraid I too disagree with demeaning comments towards the universities that are not Russell Group or red brick, like Surrey. I think it depends on the course you wish to study, rather than the university itself as a whole. DS is studying engineering - different universities come top of the tables produced by the 'Good University Guide' for engineering degrees than for English degrees or for the general guide. Split engineering into categories like mechanical, electrical, architectural, marine etc and the top ranked universities change again. Yes I know there is always the element of 'where' a degree has been obtained but the reputation of a university within various industries comes from the standard of the graduates entering each industry. Each person has the right to choose a place of study for themselves but dismissing somewhere as having 'no reputation' because it is not Russell Group does not sit right with me.

RE GSA - it makes no difference whether the course is at a university or vocational college, if it is oversubscribed with suitable applicants, they have to find a way of whittling down the numbers and deciding between applicants. I am sure that every single vocational drama, dance or MT course has far more applicants than places. There are hundreds of disappointed students each year who get offers, but not funding, or are waitlisted and then get places. But there is no transparency as to why X gets in and not Y. GSA has to chosen to use academic grades as part of their selection process. Its unfortunate if you do not then meet the grade - but if a course is oversubscribed, they do have to make cuts in numbers somehow? DD's best friend need A*A*A for a course 4 years ago and actually achieved A*AAA but could not go to university that year. She reapplied the following year, planning on retaking to achieve the A* needed and was offered a place by the same university for the same course on the grades she already had.

And who is advising not to apply for GSA exactly? Is that advice coming from students who did not get in and their friends and teachers or is it across the board from sixth forms?
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

I was talking about studying Law.
Unfortunately, with this subject, the institution where you studied does count [wrongly imo], when it comes to applying for training contracts etc. Surrey is not there yet, that 's not to say it won't be in the future.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

RE GSA - it makes no difference whether the course is at a university or vocational college, if it is oversubscribed with suitable applicants, they have to find a way of whittling down the numbers and deciding between applicants. I am sure that every single vocational drama, dance or MT course has far more applicants than places. There are hundreds of disappointed students each year who get offers, but not funding, or are waitlisted and then get places. But there is no transparency as to why X gets in and not Y. GSA has to chosen to use academic grades as part of their selection process. Its unfortunate if you do not then meet the grade - but if a course is oversubscribed, they do have to make cuts in numbers somehow? DD's best friend need A*A*A for a course 4 years ago and actually achieved A*AAA but could not go to university that year. She reapplied the following year, planning on retaking to achieve the A* needed and was offered a place by the same university for the same course on the grades she already had.

And who is advising not to apply for GSA exactly? Is that advice coming from students who did not get in and their friends and teachers or is it across the board from sixth forms?[/quote]

The fully accept and understand why institutions have to whittle down applicants. This has always been a problem for vocational courses, but they have used the audition rounds to decide this ( and these auditions are very comprehensive). The issue that I and others have with GSA 's actions is that they are using a yardstick that is not appropriate. There is absolutely no proven link between academic ability and the ability to act, dance and sing. It is as if those applying for alas or Engineering were also expected to be able to act, dance and sing for their courses! Imagine the outcry if this was the case :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well known people like Simon Dunmore have been warning for several years about linking the voc courses to unis and it seems that at least in this case these fears have been justified. It also begs the question why GSA has found itself in this selection mess when other places linked to unis seem to have avoided it. There have also been huge changes in GEA staff over the last few years.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

I know nothing about this, but was wondering which subjects they need to get these grades in? If it is subjects such as English literature etc it would make more sense to me.
lynne
GRAMMY Award

Post by lynne »

Also, just to cut in here, I think getting high A level/BTEC grades is more about commitment and attitude than academic ability!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

The only issue with high A level grades and drama school admission is that the audition process is long, arduous and involves many days away from school, taking time away from academic pursuits. DD initially applied to Uni and drama schools, however she rapidly realised (having got a high offer from her uni of choice) that continuing to audition would have made it very difficult to get the grades she needed...and conversely focussing on her academic work (at the expense of dance, vocal work and monologues) would have made her unlikely to get a place at drama school!

It's hard to do brilliantly at everything, although perhaps there is less conflict if A-levels/B-techs are in dance/performing arts etc.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

lynne wrote:Also, just to cut in here, I think getting high A level/BTEC grades is more about commitment and attitude than academic ability!
It does depend on the subject. I could have tried my hardest but never got an A in Maths or Physics!
jaybeeyellow
GRAMMY Award

Post by jaybeeyellow »

My daughter gain 3A,s at A2 in History, English and Drama, plus BTEC double distinction * in PA.
She auditioned for GSA MT course, but did not get past the first round. She is now doing an Acting Foundation yr, and will apply again. It will be interesting to see what happens this time round.
lbm1e14
GRAMMY Award

Post by lbm1e14 »

jaybeeyellow wrote:Unfortunately, students are already being advised not to apply for GSA. I doubt whether this will have a detrimental effect in the long run, but I wonder if GSA are aware of this?
Really intrigued by your comment. This isn't what I'm picking up. On the contrary. Could you give me an insight into who is giving this advice and why? Apologies if I missed your answer somewhere in the long posts above :D .
Rose20
BRIT Award

Post by Rose20 »

I have heard a couple of very talented locals kids got in there this year.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I totally agree that there is no link between academic ability and the ability to act.sing or dance and I am not saying I agree with the way that GSA choose their students. My DD is a dancer and did not apply there so I have no first hand experience but I thought their audition process was by audition and recall and once they had selected candidates on talent/ability they then chose to apply academic criteria and make academic offers. Whether this is the right or wrong way of doing was not my point , my point was that they have chosen to operate this way and it is a transparent policy so students are aware they need to make the grades. Personally I think offer grades should be set a lot lower as they have already been successful at audition - more like Oxbridge used to operate entrance exam (or audition in this case) followed by lower offer grades and less offers made but hey ho I get no say in it
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Ds has decided against auditioning for drama school but if he had GSA is the place that would have delivered everything he could possibly want - a gorgeous campus university outside London with fees fully covered by the student loan and a training recognised and sought after by West End productions. It can't possibly be getting less popular. This pattern of asking higher grades to control demand is universal to many universities. It's not GSA's fault, but students get a bargain going there on £9000 a year and Surrey Uni hierarchy obviously see that. They can call the shots because they lose money on the course.
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Hecouldshine wrote:Ds has decided against auditioning for drama school but if he had GSA is the place that would have delivered everything he could possibly want - a gorgeous campus university outside London with fees fully covered by the student loan and a training recognised and sought after by West End productions. It can't possibly be getting less popular. This pattern of asking higher grades to control demand is universal to many universities. It's not GSA's fault, but students get a bargain going there on £9000 a year and Surrey Uni hierarchy obviously see that. They can call the shots because they lose money on the course.

Again it is more complicated. For example the Royal Central School of Speech And Drama is one of the top drama schools in the country. Its courses are hugely over subscribed. It is part of the University of London. Yet it's academic entry requirements are only 2 A levels at grade C or better. Mountview is another well respected course band it is part of the University of East Anglia. They just ask for 2 passes at Alevel. I would say that both these courses are at least as good as GSA but they have chosen to continue putting the emphasis on practical ability shown at extensive audition processes. It is simply not the case that GSA "have" to do this. They don't.