Pointe Shoes

Moderator: busybusybusy

Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Pointe Shoes

Post by Livy2 »

DD has been doing Pointe work probably about 2 years now, she's in Grade 6 RAD. She's just told me that she needs new shoes again and teacher said "take her to London" as she has funny feet. We only have 3 ballet shops in our local area so I do understand why but I'm not convinced the service is going to be any better in a London shop than the 2 shops which we've been going to since she was 3. Basically DD has a very, very high instep and quite small feet (size 4 normal shoes) so I think she didn't have to pay VAT on her shoes previously.

Does anyone else have experience of similar problems? DD isn't going to be going to be doing Ballet forever as she's in Y12 and looking to do Drama, rather than musical theatre after she finishes school. She really is rather wobbly on pointe compared to the others in her class.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Re: Pointe Shoes

Post by Katymac »

I strongly reccommend 'Just Ballet' in Southend - she is amazing

The shoes I got before the ones from her turned out to be badly fitted and dangerous for DD

You really need to book a pointe shoe fitting with her but I cannot say how much it changed DD's pointe work
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

Where do you live Livy2
Bring it on!!!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

She probably recommends London as the regional shops often have a smaller range of stock. We have 2 ballet shops within a 40 min drive and both offer excellent service but offer limited makes and only a selection of the most popular styles for each brand/make. DD's teacher recommended we went to London and we had a few years of going there but last year Dancique opened up in Birmingham and they are excellent so we have saved ourselves the long and expensive trip to London. It might be worth posting your query on balletcoforum as there is a lot of advice on pointe shoes, stockists etc on there (including experiences in London)
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

We are in Hertfordshire and DD goes to London twice a week for drama so it wouldn't be a problem for me to go with her at a weekend. The shop we use have been very conscientous over the years - obviously seen her grow up ! I will have a look at the ballet forum as you suggest. Thank you
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

The teacher probably suggested London because that is where the flagship stores are for the major makes of pointe shoe, and they will have a huge stock and many more styles & sizes/widths etc than a local dance shop could possibly offer. Freed is in St Martins Lane, Capezio in Endell St, and Bloch & Sansha in Drury Lane. (Dancia is in Drury Lane too and they stock Grishko, Bloch and Gaynor Minden shoes).

All of the shops are within a few minutes' walk of each other and close to Covent Garden. Incidentally, I think pointe shoes all have VAT on them as they are classed as 'adult' shoes, even those technically in 'child' sizes.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Actually we took 2 girls to the Freed store in London last year who wear the same size normal shoes. They were fitted with the same style pointe shoe but our DD needed a slightly bigger pointe shoe than her friend. DD's shoes cost more than her friends and the shop assistant told us it was because VAT payable on the larger shoes. I forget what size she said shoes became eligible for VAT.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

Oh, that's really interesting about the VAT... glad dd has small feet now!
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Ds has an incredibly high instep & small (street size 2.5) but wide feet. Hype flexible too. Pointe shoe fitting is interesting.

She has been fitted by Stardust in Lichfield so far but I also reccomend Dancique in Birminghsm (I know lots of happy customers)

I too have heard very good things about Just Ballet
FlexyNexy
Nominee

Post by FlexyNexy »

My DD goes to Dancia (Covent Garden). Very friendly and knowledgeable staff, other I would recommend is Dancique in Birmingham.
As for VAT - 20% vat on sizes 6+.
Annaliesey
Nominee

Post by Annaliesey »

Another vote for Dancia in Drury lane if you do head to london. They seemed to have huge stock and a range of brands and have been really thorough with fitting. Obviously I can't comment on your local shop but just the service and experience great at Dancia :) no appointment necessary either as they work on a walk in basis

Would your teacher not go with you if its a local shop?
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Hi has anyone had experience of Dancewell in Bristol? This has been recommended to us for my daughter's first pointe shoe fitting! And does anyone have any tips regarding padding and anything else we need to know? I'm pretty clueless about pointes. Thanks!
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

First pair of pointe shoes - how exciting. No direct experience of Dancewell in Bristol but I have heard good reports of their fitting from quite a few people. When DD was on a summer school and broke her pointe shoes on day 2, the dancers at Ballet Cymru recommended Dancewell to us.
Re padding - first thing to do is to just check with the teacher if there is anything in particular she favours or does not allow them to have in their shoes. DD's teacher preferred no ouch pouches for a first pair of shoes for example.

Make sure your DD's toenails are trimmed - best after a bath or shower the night before - not right before a fitting. Not too long or too short as both can cause discomfort. On the day try not to do much walking before the fitting and it is best to wear the tights she will wear in class. Most fitters provide 'toe socks' in case you forget but it is better in your own stuff. The fitter will suggest padding options to your DD and she will need to try on the shoes with the padding in place. Padding is personal preference - both my DDs would say the thinner the better to be honest but that is what they prefer.

When you get there the fitter will have a look at your DDs feet and probably feel them too as she stands in front of her. Then she will bring a selection of shoes for your DD to try. In each pair of shoes she is likely to get your DD to rise to pointe so she can see how the shoes look and will ask your DD how the shoes feel. It is important that your DD speaks out. One of mine went all shy - she was so thrilled to be getting pointe shoes I think she would have said yes to every pair. It does not matter if the shoes she eventually gets are the first pair she tries on or the 20th. This process is repeated each time you go for pointe shoes - or should be - as feet change especially if they are still growing and students often try out a number of different brands and styles before they find the one they really like. Even then it can change as new models are introduced by the companies.

Tempting though it may be, do not do anything to the shoes once you get them home - do not let your DD wear them or sew on ribbons or darn the ends until the teacher has seen the pointe shoes and approved them. You cannot return pointe shoes that are dirty, worn or have had ribbons sewn in.

Good luck. Enjoy your fitting
mrs_lovett
GRAMMY Award

Post by mrs_lovett »

Thanks so much for that 2dancersmum that is so helpful. She's super excited but as she's quite young (just turned 11 ) I'm very keen to get it right so she doesn't get injured so I will push her to speak out if they don't feel right. Great tips and I'll definitely get them checked by her teacher first. Thanks very much.
woody
BRIT Award

Post by woody »

One more thing - it is easiest if they wear convertible tights for a fitting, so the fitter can look at their bare feet and maybe add toe spacers or individual toe padding if necessary.