Drama school after scoliosis

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

dabdab
Nominee

Drama school after scoliosis

Post by dabdab »

Just wondered if there was anyone on this sight who had had surgery for scoliosis (or other major surgery) and still managed to do a drama course? Daughter is hoping to have the op for scoliosis next April but we wondered if she would cope with starting a drama course in the September. If she was going to 'regular' school I 'm sure that is a long-enough recovery time but drama school is a different ball game..any experience would be valuable, thanks all
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Re: Drama school after scoliosis

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Hi. I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of this but I wish you and your daughter all the best for a speedy recovery.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

There was an article in the Observer newspaper magazine section about a v well known ballet dancer who trained after scoliosis as a teenager. I know it doesn't answer your question but shows it can be done! Interesting read, you can find it online.

All the best for your DD
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
cluelessmum
BRIT Award

Post by cluelessmum »

my son had major surgery - he is an athlete and a dancer - he is younger (12) but incredibly active. It took him much longer than he would have liked to recover fully. He had hip surgery - but he had to modify movement for so long that it caused secondary issues (knee) so I would say that she will need to be careful.

He also seems more prone to injury and also very much more body aware. He is coming up to 2 years post surgery but he took a long time to regain his full ability and he's now trying to make up for lost time but he's managed to pull a muscle & has to rest & recover for the next 2 weeks which he hates doing.

Good luck and best wishes to your dd.
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Drama schools have always had a very practical and sensible approach to any medical condition. Various conditions mean that some activities are a problem, and they simply cope with them. There are more work opportunities for people who sit outside the norm in physical and mental attributes now than there have ever been before. Indeed, one train of thought is that for those who are determined to cope with a progressive disease stand a better chance of doing well because they have high levels of determination.

All that is needed is disclosure - at application and interview, tell it as it is and let them suggest problems and then let your son provide the counter argument.
Losingtheplot
BRIT Award

Post by Losingtheplot »

My DD broke her femur in Sept 2013 2 days before she was due to start her second year performing arts btec. She had to have an operation to have a metal rod fitted. She missed the first term and when she returned she did as much as she physically could but didn't get the all clear from the hospital until June 2014. With determination she has worked hard and auditioned this year for Sept 2015. She received one offer but no funding and offered two foundation/pre-voc courses. She is also on reserve for a degree course. Things are still up in the air but I think depending on your recovery and how determined you are anything is possible. Wishing your DD all the best. Xx
WonderfulLife
Nominee

Post by WonderfulLife »

Hi dabdab, sorry to hear that your daughter needs the scoliosis op. My son, now 21, had this at 18. He was in full time work when he had the op so a different situation to yours.
He had the op in early September (10 hours in surgery, vertebrae fused from upper middle to almost the base.) He went back to work in November (his job is in tech, so was able to be mainly sedentary) but was very tired and did find it more of a struggle than he thought - and this was with a 'textbook' recovery .
6 months on from the op he felt fairly normal on the surface at least, 8 months on rehearsed and performed a decent role in a local theatre show with a 10-night run (while still managing fine with a very busy work load during the day.) 8-12 months on he got a bit obsessed with taking part in a fitness/exercise programme and going to the gym - it was fine but he couldn't do some of the exercises as there's no movement/flexibility in the back except for being able to hinge forward. He suffered from pain in the back and numbness in the legs during this first 12 months - and still does get some pain from time to time, but nothing too bad.
The surgeon said full recovery would take a year, and after that he'd be able to do everything - with sensible care of course - except for bungy jumping! I think the 12-month recovery time is absolutely spot on. But, here are some things to bear in mind: we insisted he still live at home for a year after the op (he moved out pretty much 12 months to the day haha!) so he didn't have to cook, clean, do laundry, shopping etc. He recovered really well, but everyone is different and if there are any complications or issues then recovery is going to take more time. His day job is not physically demanding. His op took place at the scheduled time, but it's not unusual for them to be delayed/put back due to a number of reasons out of your hands. He had to make time for follow up GP/hospital/physio etc appointments throughout that first year.
I personally think it would be sensible to take a year out and plan drama school for the September a year on after the op, using the time to gain extra work/life/performing experience - I know it's a long time to wait for a teenager but it's a big ask to go away and begin such an important course only 6 months on. After all, she'll want to make the most of her time at drama school - and it's better she goes in completely fit and healthy and able to do whatever is asked of her, as well as having the energy and strength to cope with living away from home.
Don't hesitate to message me if there's anything more specific I can help with. It really is a big thing for them (and us) to go through. I know our situation is different from yours but I also have a dd who's away in full time professional dance training so am familiar with how demanding these courses are.