MUSIC DEGREE COLLEGE

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

bruno2
OSCAR Award

MUSIC DEGREE COLLEGE

Post by bruno2 »

I was hoping that someone out there would have had dd/ds who went to Music College. Up to now I always thought dd would plan on auditioning for MT but the last years she has decided on Music,using her voice as her instrument. Any help or information would be great. Thank you.
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Re: MUSIC DEGREE COLLEGE

Post by JayLou62 »

Hi,
My ds is starting at Music College this September on a BTEC level 2 in Music Performance (Yr11) - he's a drummer. We're trying to keep his options open and although this is a contemporary course, he will continue playing in a local Wind Band (Grade 6 standard and above) and local Schools Philharmonia Orchestra (also Grade 6 and above). This is because with gigs there is no set wage whereas with classical music, there is.
With voice, is your dd thinking of opera? I know there are courses at Scotland Conservatoire, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Guildhall etc. I have always found these colleges/Universities very approachable and definitely recommend contacting them and ask questions.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I know pg's DD went to Welsh Coll. You need to be looking at the Conservatoire route applying via CUKAS not UCAS. Most places want a second instrument and need a high knowledge of music theory (there is usually a theory test as well as audition).

I have heard mixed things about Welsh College, varying widely in their enjoyment of the course. Of course what suits one does not suit another.

Good luck

http://www.cukas.ac.uk/students/coursesearch
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

Agree with Welsh Mum that you need the Conservatoire route for the most part. My school friend went to Leeds with voice as her instrument but that was years ago. DD has a friend at welsh college but she has not seen her since she started in September to know how she is getting on. She has met several students from Royal Northern School in Manchester but all instruments not there for their voice. My neighbour's son is looking into using his voice as his instrument and is keen on ACM in Guildford - not sure where he is in the application process or indeed if he eventually applied as he keeps changing his mind every month about what he wants to do. Just to throw in another name at you for you to research. No personal experience here.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Dd went to RWCMD. She had originally intended to go to drama school , didnt get in the first year of applying, then applied to Conservatoires. She had been at Chetham's for 6th form (which she absolutely loved).

She has friends there who have done well but she didn't enjoy it (and is now in a great job not connected to the industry).

The problems were threefold: the organisation of classes seemed a bit chaotic, the contact time is far, far less than at a drama school (which was not what she was expecting) and she didn't really click with her singing teacher (though she respected her ability and expertise).

She did change teachers but her confidence was badly knocked.

She actually had a rather unhappy time there, but I think these things are very personal and depend on many factors.
I know that there are people who have been unhappy at drama schools, too -the same schools that others have loved.

It can be so hard to discover that what you thought you would love - and what you have fought so hard for - doesn't work out.

I would say that your dd needs to know that the training is very different from drama schools. There's a lot of work to do alone, quite a bit of academic work and theory/history etc (and languages) and not a huge amount of performance in the first couple of years. Above all, the relationship with the singing teacher has to be good.

As I said, dd has good friends there who had better experiences than she did.