Oliver Film

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Oliver Film

Post by Welsh Mum »

Interesting interview with Matthew Bourne in today's paper and he mentions that Cameron Mackintosh is planning a new film version of Oliver after the success of Les Mis.

Would be an amazing opportunity. I loved the original but would be happy to see it up dated. With the right cast it could be fantastic
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
napmfm
GRAMMY Award

Re: Oliver Film

Post by napmfm »

I think the rawness of singing live on Les Mis worked so well, would love to see more musicals done like this. Oliver would be great plus we'd probably know half the kids they use in it.
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

Ooh, this would be brilliant, I hope this does happen!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I am of the generation that loves the original, as I loved Willy Wonka with Gene Wilder, I cannot think of any remakes I prefer..
I suspect by the time this is made, our children will be way too old ...
Jack Wilde is irreplaceable imo
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Dwafffamily
BAFTA Award

Post by Dwafffamily »

I agree Riverdancefan, you cannot beat the originals of these and I refused to watch the remake of Charlie Choc and will not be watching the remake of Annie either. But I am intrigued as to what a new Oliver film would be like. Let's hope it's not years away so some NAPM kiddies get a shot at auditioning :D
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I like the idea of doing like Les Mis. This gives the singing a rawness and emotional power. There are some re makes wouldn't want to see (I was so glad the proposed re-make of Dirty Dancing never got off the ground) but I feel that the original, though great, missed the gritty realism of Dickens' original story and a new film could rectify that eg show the London streets as a stinking mess. In the original there was scarcely a thing out of place, and Fagin's den was quite habitable and cosy :)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Dwafffamily wrote:I agree Riverdancefan, you cannot beat the originals of these and I refused to watch the remake of Charlie Choc and will not be watching the remake of Annie either. But I am intrigued as to what a new Oliver film would be like. Let's hope it's not years away so some NAPM kiddies get a shot at auditioning :D
with all the new innovations, CGI etc, it's going be spectacular
I am with you on the Annie as well Dwafffamily
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

The trouble with Les Mis is no dance :( (much as I love it - ds just finished playing Marius in his school production :D ), whereas Matthew Bourne choreographing a new Oliver - WOW. That would have everything you could want \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

Oh, now that my DS would die to be in. Will keep an eye out for any news!