After all that... you get offered Foundation!!

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

rebeccaM
BRIT Award

After all that... you get offered Foundation!!

Post by rebeccaM »

Would really like to know what you think of Acting Foundation courses - feel for DD this week, after recalls then through to last round at Oxford Drama School to then be offered a place on the Foundation Course. Is this a good back up? (Albeit an expensive one!!) Still more auditions to go - DD was speaking to a second year student at Drama Centre today - it took four years of trying to get in!! Everyone recalled was 20 years and above - beginning to think we should have put at least one Uni choice on the UCAS form - going through angst!!! xxxx
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: After all that... you get offered Foundation!!

Post by paulears »

That's the sad thing - the old fallback choice is actually pretty important.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

How old is your DD? If she is 18 then I would not panic at all. My DD tried at 18 and got lots of recalls, one reserve list and one offer of foundation. Due to the cost this was not an option for us, so she took a year out, worked (earned some much needed money) and tried again the following year. She had 3 offers that time :) The year out certainly didn't harm her and probably did a lot of good. She was a bit more mature and hungry for it (after working in a job she didn't enjoy :) :) ) In fact only a couple in her class at CSSD were straight from education. So that may be an option for your DD.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Post by oscar »

DS had quite a few offers last year for musical theatre in luring BA hons but he was dead set on one particular school so after beng turned down at recall he tried for the foundation and places on that were like hens teeth. He absolutely loves it and works so hard. We have no idea if it will pay off but he does not regret his decision.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

First of all, many congrats to your DD, a final audition let alone a foundation offer at Oxford isn't easy to achieve, she clearly has lots of talent.

Secondly, I feel your pain, so near but yet so far! It sounds like a great back up ( finances permitting) and she has several auditions to go, so still a few potential places out there, especially as she will have learned loads from her experiences so far. :)

For what it's worth, in DD's experience, the whole Uni/ drama school at the same time thing can be horrifically stressful, if your DD gets good A levels she can always apply through clearing if needs be, loads of places had free spaces last year.

Where have you left to go for in the new year? She could also go for NYT rep, that seems to be a wonderful (if very competitive) option... Dd thinking of adding that on to her very, very long and tricky list of options!!!!
rebeccaM
BRIT Award

Post by rebeccaM »

Thank you everyone for replying - Welshmum: DD is A Level year so still 17, so young in her year - I agree with you I think a year out would be a great experience for her. We are really not sure about the Foundation offer - so have decided to let it brew for a while - until this "process" is over! TotallyClueless mum: NYT Rep company is also a great option but you have to be 18 when the course starts in May, and available from then onwards which clashes with A Level exams so that option would be good for 2016 - if we are still doing all this by then!!! I would definitely say - in hindsight - I wish we had put a Uni down - it just makes you feel a little in control of a journey you just can't - if you know what I mean!
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

It also depends on what type of next step your DD wants. Mine very definitely did NOT want a uni course. She wanted vocational training and though there are some great uni courses out there and graduates from them can be incredibly successful it is not the same as a voc course. It would not be a good idea to go for a uni unless thats what she wants to do. Both types of post 18 are very different.

I would do as you say you are doing - let it brew. Trust me if she decides to re=apply the year will go VERY quickly :)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

It is good to have been offered a foundation -but it's not what she went for.

Personally -unless money isn't an issue -I'd recommend the year out.

I know lots of people who have enjoyed foundation courses, but training is expensive enough as it is. I think there's a lot you can do in a year out to help you prepare for another round of auditions that won't involve spending all that money.

DO got in at 18 - but he thinks he would have benefited from having a year out(in retrospect).
missmoneypenny
BAFTA Award

Post by missmoneypenny »

My DD had a very similar experience last year - did the rounds, got recalled at all but one - final recall at absolute fave but didn't make it to the chosen few - she was devastated as she really had high hopes, but she was offered the prelim, which she has just finished and she loved every second of it - yet to see if it will help her get a 3 year place but she has certainly grown a lot taking part and has a whole new air of confidence. If you can raise the funds then I would go for it. My dd isn't interested in the uni route either - this is what she wants and we are about to watch her go on another nerve wracking round. Lots of luck!
Fr19
Nominee

Post by Fr19 »

Hello!
I did the foundation at Oxford last year, it is one of the cheaper foundation courses, but also one of the best. I applied for the 3 year but was offered the foundation and decided to accept it, money was very tight (I funded it all myself)! It is very intense but I really enjoyed it and learnt a lot, you are mostly taught by the same teachers for the 3 year course and are very much a part of the school. I've had a fair few auditions and jobs since finishing and have just started 3 year auditions for 2015 entry, auditioned for RADA so far and have just been invited to a recall :)
JayLou62
GRAMMY Award

Post by JayLou62 »

My older dd auditioned last year and got 'no's for MT courses - she's now 19 but looks 15 max. Her back up was to stay at her theatre school which set up a 2 year full time vocational course in MT and a one year part time Foundation course.
She's loving her course (she's doing the full time 2 year course) and whilst it's always a risk to attend a brand new course and the downside is there's no accreditation for this year (it's hopefully going through for next year) she's happy with what she's doing. It's a small group and they are at 'Perform' this year - they have also put an advert in The Stage.
They have workshops every week from current shows; masterclasses from professionals; tutors from Bristol Old Vic; Mountview; Arts Ed etc. She starts at 9.00am and finishes at 5.00-5.30pm 3 days a week; finishes at 6.30pm on Mondays; 2.30pm on Fridays - this is the average as there are weeks when she finishes much later. They had a showcase at Christmas in a local theatre and have their big performance later this year. They regularly go to local theatres and get cheaper tickets for top shows (and also have masterclasses with the cast and get to go backstage too).
Fees are £2,600 per term (there are 3 terms) and there are scholarships available. Fees include all dance classes; private singing lessons and audition technique.
Dd feels much more prepared than last year although she's not auditioning this year.