School mums

Voice your opinions on subjects you may feel strongly about

Moderator: busybusybusy

lollypop
GRAMMY Award

School mums

Post by lollypop »

Hello, I just need to rant about this.....

What is it with some mums that they think it's their kids turn for a big part in the school play and pester the drama department, then complain to the school when a) it's not a big enough part, and b) they could be doing something "more useful like going to football practice" instead of rehearsals!

I kid you not.

We are lucky to have a great drama department and I have no idea how they balance the parental demands.

Phew, feel better having said that. I hope you guys understand.
Last edited by lollypop on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gatesheadangel
GRAMMY Award

Re: School mums

Post by Gatesheadangel »

I feel your pain. I'm sometimes tempted to start a blog if it was allowed.

I was given the exciting news this week that a new series of the Walking Dead is starting - by a 9 year old. Yes, he watches it too. Yes, he knows it's for 18plus. Yes, his parent is one who has complained about the 'ridiculous' reading (1 book) that must be done at home with an adult because they don't have time.

So i can completely sympathise with your demanding parent who now can complain about the commitment.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Very shocked at this - I love the Walking Dead but the thoght of a 9 yr old watching it is horrific. What on earth are his parents thinking??? It beggars belief ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
napmfm
GRAMMY Award

Post by napmfm »

Regarding 'B'

Kids shouldn't have to be in the school play, in the same way they shouldn't have to be in a football team, and some kids shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a stage, even if they, or their mother, think they should be. Why inflict talentless kids on rest of the poor, unsuspecting parents, especially when they don't want to perform.

You wouldn't give a musically challenged child, with no interest, a violin or trumpet and tell them to perform in front of mummy's and daddy's, why is it acceptable to do it with a voice?

Without wanting to be mean, I've sat through some garbage in my time, and I'm sure I'll have to again - Of course, my child excluded, she's wonderful ;)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

So many of us have had this rubbish thrown at us in school. You are not alone.

You wouldn't let everyone " have a go" in the competitive football and rugby teams ..they pick the best and quite rightly.

There is an inherent feeling that performing children are somehow bratty, or show-offs..well, in my 10 years of my DS performing I have met maybe one child who was obnoxious and his Father just watched and let it happen. The majority of children are polite, good-natured and a pleasure to be around.

My DS was told he wasn't experienced enough to perform in the school production of A midsummer Night's Dream last year, despite having spent a season at the Globe being trained by the best....Apparently it was "someone else's turn". I went to see it , it was averagely bad. And these were the performing arts and drama students!

Any parent can spend the hours and the money I have spent nurturing my DS and helping him to be the best he can be. It's out there for them all to research and seek out opportunities for their own children. However some don't want to and spend their time criticising others who do.
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I've had the opposite. My dd's last school always auditioned the girls for the roles. One of the other mothers was telling me that in her opinion it would be her dd and mine who would get the roles for one particular show. My dd did get the role but her dd didn't. That mother never spoke to me again!!!
All new to me!
James C
BRIT Award

Post by James C »

I am a dad of two boys, both play football. Have witnessed many fights between dads with kids playing football at the weekends which is supposed to be for fun! :shock
Julie
BRIT Award

Post by Julie »

..... And then of course there are the teachers from hell - like my dds ex-primary teacher who shouted at her that she would not get any more parts in her AmDram group because she hadn't bought her an end of term gift!
Shortly afterwards dd got her first professional role - lol :D
napmfm
GRAMMY Award

Post by napmfm »

And what's the end of term gift all about?? Never seen it work both ways, I don't contribute anymore and if child wants to buy something for them she can - I feel I have already given them the gift of my daughter to teach for a term.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

napmfm, totally agree with you on the teachers' end of term gifts. Ds's school asked each parent to contribute £15 towards the end of term present for the teacher!!! Of course it was totally "voluntary" but those contributing would sign a card too!! These teachers do extremely well considering there are 3 "end of term" gifts (usually money) per year!!
All new to me!
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

I run a sweet/gift shop and we often get people in buying teacher gifts. We once had a teacher in who said that she didn't 'expect' gifts but she DID expect parents to come in and thank her for teaching their child :shock: Good customer service prevented us pointing out that that's what her, not inconsiderable, salary is for!! I think EOT gifts can become quite competitive - rather like children's parties ;)
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

Caroline A-C, I can't believe that, it is appalling. :shock:
A parent or child seeking you out to personally thank you lasts far longer in your memory than the affects of a box of chocolates or a bottle of wine!
napmfm
GRAMMY Award

Post by napmfm »

There's good and bad examples in all walks of life, at the end of year two, teacher gave every child a nicely presented mug - a gift that she had really put a lot of thought in to.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I stopped buying EOT gifts years ago. I work in a school office and hear what some teachers say about some gifts they get (appalling I know). We all have a job to do and get paid for it. I'd only give a gift if the teacher had gone beyond their job description and put themslevs out in some way for my children. I don't even tip a taxi driver anymore-unless they carry bags or something!!!
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

I agree about tipping lyndahill. At Christmas our local butchers and grocers put boxes covered with giftwrap on their counters with 'Thank You & Merry Christmas' written on them. I think this is tantamount to begging frankly. I own and work in a shop and would NEVER allow this kind of behaviour - our customers are honouring us with their custom - they don't need to tip us as well. Do any of you tip the bin men? Why do we tip hairdressers and taxi drivers but not clothes shop assistants and bus drivers?