September 2015

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

Pearl
GRAMMY Award

September 2015

Post by Pearl »

Ok so now that colleges are starting back and all the lucky kids are starting their new journeys, the dreaded auditions are looming for next years entrants!! 8-[

Thought I would start a new thread for us anxious parents!

First of many questions!!! When would you say is the best time to start auditioning? Do you think we need to get in early?
Bring it on!!!
soda
BRIT Award

Re: September 2015

Post by soda »

Thanks for starting this Pearl. What course does your dd want to do?
My dd (yr 13) will be auditioning for MT degrees/diplomas. She is aiming to get her UCAS form in by the end of October but is not sure about the timing for the schools with direct applications.
I suspect this will be a stressful year!
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Good Luck to you all - hang in there its a bumpy ride, loads of info on here, dd off to Laine next week, happy to help with any questions :lol: We opted for Jan/Feb auditions but only did Laine and Urdang where you can more or less pick your dates - that way dd got mock GCSEs out the way in December but wasn't right on top of main GCSEs - but don't know about other colleges! Enjoy! xxx
Last edited by suesmith on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearl
GRAMMY Award

Post by Pearl »

My dd only 15 Soda, so going for the diploma's in MT.
After seeing end of year shows and move it. Would be delighted with Laines, Urdang, Birds and Performers so these four are her preferred choices.
Will have to see how it goes 8-[
Was thinking Jan/Feb Sue Smith, thanx
Bring it on!!!
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

My DD is 16 and doing her A'levels this year. She's going to audition for hopefully a degree at Urdang, Bird, LSC and Chichester. Maybe Laines also and RCS...
Good luck to every body and let's help and support each other on the way...
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

My advice would be to print off application forms and details as soon as possible so you can see exactly what is required for each audition, if you can pick a date or if dates are assigned as applications are received. You can then also see if photos are needed, any dance solos, how many songs, monologues etc to know how much work your DC need to do for each audition. That way you might be able to get some dates you would like.

The other advice I would give is to email/write to your DCs academic school and tell them what your DC will be doing this year and what they hope to achieve and see if there are any weeks they would prefer you to avoid and if there is a person you should contact re references etc Schools are quite used to multiple absences from pupils in year 13 going to university open days and interviews but multiple absences for auditions in year 11 are less common. My DD was assigned a single point of contact and it made life so much easier as we just emailed in dates of auditions as she got them and he authorised her absences and his backing helped when she did have a clash with mock exams and when scheduling oral exams for languages, practicals for science and drama, they were able to ensure she had no clashes.

Good luck everyone
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

Thank you 2dancersmum, very useful...
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

& start a spreadsheet ;)
soda
BRIT Award

Post by soda »

Katymac, we have!!!
Thanks for all the advice so far, please keep it coming.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I would also advise trawling the site for other threads about this - there have been lots over the last few years.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

We have too Katymac!
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

My DD is only just 10 but feeling anxious already reading your posts. Hope it all goes well and best of luck with it all x
DanceDiva
GRAMMY Award

Post by DanceDiva »

Spreadsheet *tick*
Printed off application forms *tick*
Arranged Open Days *tick*
Opened account with Thresher *tick*

DD is 16 next week and will be auditioning for Diploma courses.
I'm already a quivering wreck and skint so goodness knows what this year is going to bring.
Really appreciate the advice and support though ladies and gents - its a nightmare when you feel you dont know half of what everyone else knows !!
afab
GRAMMY Award

Post by afab »

What is Thresher Dancediva?

Ta
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

Thresher is an Off-license

I'm seriously considering taking up alcohol as a recreational activity....if only I was teetotal!! :roll: ](*,) :-&

Edited for clarity