Millennium Performing Arts - How Good Is this School?

A place to talk about full time schools and post 16 training.

Moderator: busybusybusy

performmum
BRIT Award

Millennium Performing Arts - How Good Is this School?

Post by performmum »

My DD has been offered a place at Millennium, we would really like to know more about the school. It seems very under the radar. I was unable to go to this audition so was not able to get a feel for the place. DD said it was quite run down and needed renovation. The web site is poor and old fashioned and does not give the best impression. Does any one have any information about the school? Know any one who has studied there? Know any students? Any information we can get at this stage would be really helpful in helping us make our decisions. Many Thanks. :? :?
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: Millennium Performing Arts - How Good Is this School?

Post by oscar »

It's accredited so that has to go a long way in its favour .
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Do they have alumni on their website? (lots of places do). that would give you an idea
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
performmum
BRIT Award

Post by performmum »

They do, but their web site is really poor, it's hard to judge how up to date the information is. Their last Ofstead report was ok, but the previous one wasn't great. It just seems so low key!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

We know of one recent graduate ( not well but we shared a singing teacher, could tell that she was talented and she took the DDs for a masterclass while at college) she gained MT places at a few schools (Italia Conti was one, can't remember the other) but she chose Millenium. The singing teacher said she really enjoyed it and post graduation went straight into a MT tour of Australia.
I realise it's all a bit woolly...but thought any info may help :)
Well done to your DD.
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

& very few performances on You-tube (from Move-it or similar)

It is confusing & the website is poor

But accreditation is good

& the teaching team seem good

& maybe I'm predisposed to like them as they like my DD
beanie-bean
GRAMMY Award

Post by beanie-bean »

Have they got an End of Year show coming up that you could go to Katymac?....It may give you some idea of what the standard. xxx
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I know a lad who did the foundation course there and loved it and without any further training is now cruising and performing around the Carribean and Australia with one of the biggest cruise lines...
and having a ball!!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

I agree that their website is poor but then it is only 2 years since DD did the audition rounds and I know of at least 4 colleges/schools that have updated their websites since then so it may well be pending.

It is an accredited school with a good reputation but as you say it does fly a little under the radar - but that might just be in certain circles. I hadn't heard of Stella Mann, MADD or Performers until DD had friends who went there as it does seem to be the likes of Laines, Italia Conti, Bird that promote themselves. DDs friends have graduated and been in work solidly since. We only know of one who went to Millenium but cannot really use her as an example. She loved it there but had to leave for personal reasons.

I certainly would not be put off by the lack of clips on you tube from Move It or elsewhere. There are often copyright issues and again some schools promote themselves more by these methods than others - often those that are not accredited for DADA funding. Only personal opinion but if a college is getting more than enough high quality applicants without constant advertising to the general public, then it can be concentrating its efforts on the training of the students and promoting them to agents. It might be a cynical view but auditions must raise funds for the schools and attracting more applicants does not mean higher quality necessarily and for students already at the colleges audition days can be disruptive with altered timetables etc.

Is there any way you can revisit Millenium so that your DD can have a 2nd viewing and you can see what you think aswell? When it seemed all sorted for my DD accepting a place for dance elsewhere, DH suddenly got cold feet as he had not been to any of the auditions or seen the college. We phoned and were able to have a quick chat and tour of the premises and used it as a day trip to get a good look around the area for where DD would be living etc.

I would just try and take your time and work through DDs options. At the end of the day, no matter how good the college, she needs to be happy.
Robsmumma
GRAMMY Award

Post by Robsmumma »

You wouldn't dream of spending 30 grand + on anything else you hadn't looked at would you? So why should this be any different? Ring them and ask to go for a visit, it would be nice to see what goes on day to day. Much better impression than an audition day.
Dd really liked it there, she said they seemed to know her name almost straight away, (it was one I didn't go to)which made her feel good.
katkit
BRIT Award

Post by katkit »

Hi, no personal experience to offer other than DD auditioned at Millenium last week and came home 'buzzing' about how incredible the teachers were and what a great day she had.

I also wasn't able to go with DD last week, so should she get an offer then I will be contacting the college to request an appointment with the principal to chat through any questions. It would be great do see the college on a non-audition day.

With regards to Ofsted, if you read it fully you get a good picture of Milleniums strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately they were knocked down on their safeguarding & child protection and staff training, which is crucial in schools nowadays (CRB's etc), however they scored really well in 'Outcomes for Students' and 'Quality of Provision'. Sounds like the admin is weak but the teaching must be strong.

I have read all of the colleges Ofsteds and suggest it is a good way to dig deeper about colleges. In fact, the reason I missed DD's audition last week was I work in a school and we had our Ofsted inspection that day! (you get 1/2 days notice now!).
Katymac
OSCAR Award

Post by Katymac »

I do wish they would update their website tho'
dance1998
BRIT Award

Post by dance1998 »

has anyone heard anything about dada yet thanks
suesmith
GRAMMY Award

Post by suesmith »

Hi dance1998 - look at recent post on "lots of luck place to put results etc" thread - somebody has been offered/called for dada next Tuesday, good luck to you :)
katkit
BRIT Award

Post by katkit »

Hi Sue, I read the post, and it seems DG's DD was emailed an offer this Tuesday. Great news for them both :)