Newbie, how does it all work?

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

Middlesexmum
BRIT Award

Newbie, how does it all work?

Post by Middlesexmum »

Hi, looking for some advice please!

Dd is 10, very keen on drama and would like to try auditioning for things. She is on Spotlight as referred by her drama teacher and was also accepted onto a modelling agency's books a while ago. In spite of this, we've heard nothing about any possible opportunities for her.

Am I missing something? Should I be researching stuff myself? I do look on here from time to time but some of the threads are so old, by the time I've scrawled though 20 odd pages I've found we've missed the boat anyway!

So what's the best way to go about things? I've read something about casting directors and getting in their books..? How does that work?
giniscanlan
BRIT Award

Re: Newbie, how does it all work?

Post by giniscanlan »

In my experience, modeling and acting are two different things... Try finding a casting/talent agent that doesn't do modeling... If they don't ask you to come in for an audition/assessment first, I'd be wary. Don't go with the first agent that offers to take you on, wait until you've seen a few then decide. Also they shouldn't be asking you to pay a lot of money up front. There are lots of threads on here giving good advice but I can't link them to this post from my phone. If you DD has a common look though you might find it harder to find representation as Agents generally don't want lots of kids that look similar, no matter how talented you DD is x
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

That's a huge question - it would be helpful if you could narrow it down a bit.

I'd recommend that you make a cup of tea, set aside a few hours and work your way systematically through all the threads on this forum. You'll learn an awful lot about the process and the realities of getting involved in performing arts as a parent and as a young performer. That will probably give you a clearer view about what the best next steps are for your DD.

I think your reference to getting in the books of a casting director probably means getting on the books of an agent. There's plenty of info about that on various threads and, by the time you have absorbed it all, you'll know a lot more about the way agents work and also be able to take a view about which agents to approach for your DD.

If any...getting an agent isn't a shortcut to getting work. And there are loads of opportunities to perform which allow DCs to develop their talents and experience which don't require an agent. Again, the threads and conversations captured here will tell you about many of them, up to and including auditions for West End roles.

Although many of the older threads relate to jobs which have long since been cast, the experience which they share will help you to think about what's right for your DD in the future, and prepare you to get involved in the next one too. Then all you need to do is keep up with future posts to know as much about forthcoming castings as the very generous NAPMs are able to share - and feel free to share what you know too.

Good luck - hope this is helpful. Sorry there isn't a simple short-cut that I have figured out yet.

Deb x
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Welcome to you - I agree that there's no substitute for working your way through the boards. If you always log in (or stay logged in) and click on 'View unread posts' it brings up everything in date order, so you can at least keep track of where you've got to. The newest entries are at the top, so you don't have to miss out on new opportunities while doing your 'research' on the historical posts. Good luck x
fizzycandy123
GRAMMY Award

Post by fizzycandy123 »

Hi it is very hard sometimes you can get loads of auditions,then the next you may not even get one for months,the best thing to do is to try and get as much experience as possible like Sylvia Young I went there part time and its great you learn a lot to but id had to stop because of the distance but if you have a good cv then you can get the auditions thats the hard part then its down to talent luck ,try to takwe every oppunity even school plays and indepent films to build your Cv as for agents contacts book is great and try to pick up other skills acting is a waiting and luck perfessional so it helps to have other skills to as im sure your dd is very talented,another thing is finding ways to promote yourself Starnow,kiddcasting pro and find some information on acting on the interent and learn monolouges you never know when you mite need them and lastly dont give up good luck