Star now

heard a rumor or got some gossip?

Moderator: busybusybusy

Lorenita
Nominee

Star now

Post by Lorenita »

Hi all,
I'm new to here so not sure if i'm in the right place. I have noticed that some of you are with Star Now, and i also registered for my daughter but was asked to put in either a passport or drivers licence ID. I was a bit concerned and would like to know if i should just go ahead and do it. Also i'd like to know if it is worth joining. I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks :)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: Star now

Post by riverdancefan »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13493&hilit=star+now

we all have to put those details down when applying - for the protection of the young person involved

Starnow has hundreds of thousands of member all over the world, (including us) :D ..I guess it must be reputable
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Lorenita
Nominee

Post by Lorenita »

Hi Riverdancefan,
Great, thanks for reply. I think i might join. Just always been a bit cautious giving too much info on web.
Makes sense, at least it protects everyone!
Thanks again!!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Lorenita wrote:Hi Riverdancefan,
Great, thanks for reply. I think i might join. Just always been a bit cautious giving too much info on web.
Makes sense, at least it protects everyone!
Thanks again!!
you are welcome!
don't forget to post your link to your DD when you are done so we can all favourite her :D

x
Lorenita
Nominee

Post by Lorenita »

Will do! We're pretty new to all this and are trying to get her first job. Also looking for a good agent.
As soon as i've done will post. Thanks
Lorenita
Nominee

Post by Lorenita »

How do you favourite links. Is this a link to your page?
http://www.starnow.co.uk/tobyturpin
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Lorenita wrote:How do you favourite links. Is this a link to your page?
http://www.starnow.co.uk/tobyturpin
yes - you can open it and then click on the "add to favourites" under the main photo
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

I think I have seen your DD on her new Starnow - she is GORGEOUS!!!
michbv
GRAMMY Award

Post by michbv »

Hi, Starnow been great for my son and also this site is very informative. Ive never had problems with any "weirdos" getting in touch. Gives you the experience of auditions and how the process works even if you don't get the job. Has built my sons confidence up for auditions and parts he would love. Good luck :D

www.starnow.co.uk/adambeaver
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

When I signed my dd up for starnow (almost 3 years ago), I accidently made a typo when adding driving licence details, only noticed recently and she has had loads of jobs through it, haven't bothered to change it, I don't think it is that important actually (you could possible put anything in there!).

http://www.starnow.co.uk/francescaturton
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I really hate the fact that the people who pay for the service are obliged to give all sorts of information and yet the people who purport to be "employers" only have to provide an email address and NO checks are made before jobs are put up on the site. Starnow only respond to complaints and reports from the people who pay to use the service - they don't vet anything first.

I think it has a very successful business model.

I wouldn't regard it as reputable necessarily.

It's based in New Zealand. It claims that posters have to abide by NMW rules but does nothing whatsoever about the fact that most don't.
Netty
BRIT Award

Post by Netty »

pg wrote:I really hate the fact that the people who pay for the service are obliged to give all sorts of information and yet the people who purport to be "employers" only have to provide an email address and NO checks are made before jobs are put up on the site. Starnow only respond to complaints and reports from the people who pay to use the service - they don't vet anything first.

I think it has a very successful business model.

I wouldn't regard it as reputable necessarily.

It's based in New Zealand. It claims that posters have to abide by NMW rules but does nothing whatsoever about the fact that most don't.

Yes, I agree! The 'employers' are anyone!! We've had contacted mostly from genuine people but also some weirdo's and some dodgy ones. Be super careful who you chatting to on there - its a great site but it also pays to be very, very careful.
Neeky78
BRIT Award

Post by Neeky78 »

Hello! Long time lurker, first time commenter!

Just to add some info from the other side of the StarNow desk! I don't workfor them/know them/have ANY affiliation with them, but I'm involved in pro-am musicals so use the site for work.
I've posted audition notices on the Australian site and I had to provide a scan of my driver's license and there was a delay of at least 24 hours before my notice was approved and posted on the site. I have no idea if it's the same for all countries, but that's how it is in Australia.

I've also used it to source work for my DD and have had mostly great experiences with the work. The so-so experiences had nothing to do with StarNow per se, just the calibre of work you get is sometimes inline with the cost of using the site - cheap! DD has done a number of students films and they were great fun and experience even if the end result wasn't always usable!

But she has also had some great experiences that have enabled her to build a good little showreel and she even got a (well) paid job on there this year.

It's been a great starting point for her. She has kind of 'outgrown' the site now so she is signing up with an agent who will hopefully help her get opportunites to move more into film and TV. So we'll probably just keep an eye on StarNow for really good sounding opportunites and by-pass the unpaid and student jobs.

Saying that, there is a load of crap to wade through on the site! But just a bit of the same nous you usually use on the internet to sort the Nigerian Billionaire Businessmen from the real deals is all that is needed to get some results from the site.
Lorenita
Nominee

Post by Lorenita »

Thank you all so much for your replies to my post. You have all been really helpful and as a result i have now signed up my dd, and also applied for a couple of things. Still have to get used to how top navigate the site but all in all is great. We are also with KCCP but never had to enter those details. Fingers crossed something will happen soon. She is so looking forward to doing a little part in a film or commercial.

Here is a link to her profile. Any comments welcome!!

http://www.starnow.co.uk/mariannapanunzio1
Lorenita
Nominee

Post by Lorenita »

riverdancefan wrote:I think I have seen your DD on her new Starnow - she is GORGEOUS!!!
Thanks, Here is her profile

http://www.starnow.co.uk/mariannapanunzio1