Choosing the right agent, help

Give advice, ask questions and find out information about Agencies.

Moderator: busybusybusy

EmmaCV
Nominee

Re: Choosing the right agent, help

Post by EmmaCV »

Thankyou for all that commented and the 2 people I spoke to direct. (The messaging system seems a bit hit and miss - I tried sending thankyous back but not sure if it worked!) My daughter has been awarded a drama scholarship, as well as just winning a Somerset-based award for her latest appearance in panto, so would like to think it's his loss. But just feel angry as any sort of feedback would have been nice. All of us parents put a lot of time and money in going to these auditions (we travelled up from Somerset) and to be treated in this way is disgusting. Not professional at all. If we all ran our businesses this way we wouldn't have one! My daughter actually has one more workshop audition lined up with a big agency but really now doing it just so my daughter gets the experience really, (and to, hopefully, get feedback!) Now more than happy to go with the smaller agent who answers my E-mails! :D
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

Hi, I read about no one hearing back from MJM, I sent an email with my cv and a photo which they replied to after an email of chasing up (it was only a few days but all the others I applied to were much swifter coming back to me) and I was told they actually have a girl on there books who looks similar to me, hope that helps xx
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Thank you cupcakephoebz, you were fortunate to get a reply! My dd's and many others actually travelled to London for auditions over two weeks ago and we have not heard a word from MJM. It's very disappointing when dc's make a huge effort and are desperate for feedback on how they did, and hear nothing. I suppose it's 'show business' but still, very unprofessional! Thanks again for your post
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

What I found worked was to ask when you would find out and to ask for feedback with it, that worked for me. But from what I have heard from others it sounds like they only contact you if they want you or already have somebody similar already on there books. I might be wrong mind but that is the impression I got xxx
One day everyone will make it, but for now I'm still waiting http://www.starnow.co.uk/phoebespence1
In4aPenny
GRAMMY Award

Post by In4aPenny »

PoppyLily wrote:Hi All, just checked my Twitter account!!! appears that MJM has time to tweet whilst many of our lovely dc's are still waiting to hear if they were successful at the agency auditions!!!! :x
These sort of things never get discussed in the open, but its good to know.
Dodger'smum
GRAMMY Award

Post by Dodger'smum »

paulears wrote:I know I bang on about it - but getting an agent is a two way process. Little point in being the least marketable person on a really busy agents list - because they'll be working for the best people first. Being one of a small number of people on the books of a perhaps new but very keen agent can be great. I know plenty of friends who had what they thought was a good agent, but didn't know that they were spending their time promoting others to good clients, while just taking repeat business on them.
Yep, I think this was exactly the case with us - the agent had a countless number of children and rarely seemed to keep CVs up to date, saying "we have so many to get through" when queried - over a two-year period! They also never offered a "well done" or seemingly bothered to view showreel etc. Not good. I just deal direct with Spotlight now.

And it should absolutely be a two-way process as Paulears points out. We ALWAYS kept our agent up to date with our ds's commitments as a point of courtesy but he would send through audition calls anyway, giving us a verbal blasting when we declined, inferring that we are idiots for putting our local theatre before film opportunities. It's as if they have no notion of commitment and responsibility to others. I've been left baffled by the whole experience - not sure I want to go there again either.
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Out of interest are there any NAPM children with Organic Kidz? They are a new, small "boutique" agency, only taking a few children on, in order to maintain a personal relationship with them. I have noted via Twitter they seem to be getting quite a few castings and recalls?
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

Haven't heard of them but do you have any more info because they sound good x
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

http://www.organickidzagency.co.uk My dd's auditioned successfully and were offered places but still have a couple more agents to see. They are very new but very friendly professional ladies. On another note does anyone know how/where I can download backing music for Snoopy's Big Bow Wow? Thanks all
cupcakephoebz
GRAMMY Award

Post by cupcakephoebz »

Organic kidz are lovely people and although I didn't get in, they responded fast and asked me to reapply when I'm 16 (because of my height) xxx hope that helps
P.s. SNN u should try because you are right height and age bracket xx
Goglehat
BRIT Award

Post by Goglehat »

How do I get in touch with daisy and dukes is it via the email on their webpage? It seems to be the only one they have :-k
Sometimes you dont realise the value of a moment until it becomes a memory

http://www.youtube.com/user/clubkidsj?feature=mhee
GreaseIstheWord
BRIT Award

Post by GreaseIstheWord »

I emailed the address on the webpage asking about representation when I was looking earlier this year. They are closed now until July I think but I'm sure they'll respond to you. Auditions to be represented are by invite only
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Yes just to confirm, I emailed D&D with photographs of my dd's and they will invite you for an audition if you are suitable. I did the same for Mad Fish, who we are seeing in June. My dd's have to prepare a monologue and sing a song to a backing track. :)
Goglehat
BRIT Award

Post by Goglehat »

PoppyLily I'm also going to see madfish in june are you going to the workshop?
Sometimes you dont realise the value of a moment until it becomes a memory

http://www.youtube.com/user/clubkidsj?feature=mhee
PoppyLily
BRIT Award

Post by PoppyLily »

Hi Goglehat, we are just, auditioning with Mad Fish, dd's have been asked to prepare monologue and song. When in June are you going? Also what's the workshop??