Mark Jermin Management

Chat about any aspect of your child's Casting or Audition

Moderator: busybusybusy

ticktock
Nominee

Mark Jermin Management

Post by ticktock »

Hi, i'd really appreciate some help :)

My dc has been accepted by Mark Jermin, I have searched this forum for posts about them, but didn't find much info, other than they are considered reasonably good.

However, other agencies also sound good and Mark Jermin are the first that I applied to. I am under time pressure to make a decision though
So, my questions are
Does anyone have any recent experience with Mark Jermin and do they recommend them?
Are the likes of Daisy and Duke or Abacus or A & J Management "better"?

Thanks to any who reply
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Re: Mark Jermin Management

Post by Irishdancer »

They are good the only thing that puts me of them and a few other good agents is when a child goes for a advert audition they get a £18 fee less agents % and they get about £55 for recall fee these fees are for children adults do not get this fee, because a child has to have a adult come with them to a audition, so its to help with the travel cost as a lot of MJ kids come from Wales or up North this would help but MJ and some other agents do not pass this money onto the parents, so if you think how many kids from MJ and other agents send to advert auditions they must be making a lot of money that is for help for parents. I would suggest that you see if your dc tries for the other agency's you have mentioned as they all let you have the audition fee, drama and theatre do not get the fee only adverts and photograph auditions get this fee.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Something that really gets my goat [-X
Takig agency percentage out of chaperone fees.
Fair enough take the complete fee if they are doing the chaperoning, but if you or yours are chaperoning I believe that money should be completely For the chaperone who often has expenses, time off work etc to chaperone.
It should be wholly for the chaperone , the agents should not take a percentage of that, it's not earnings or wages, for the child, it's a fee, to cover expenses incurred to ALLOW that child to perform and make money for the agent as well.

I just find it a little unjust.

RDF
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
LittleRed
BRIT Award

Post by LittleRed »

I suppose they are good,apart from the money wise,people from tracy beaker returns are with mark jermin,and eastenders people :)
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

They have a lot of children on there books I find it much better to go with a smaller agency much less chance if there being another child like your child being on a smaller agents books but with bigger agency's will probably have a more children like your dc on there books. I think it is better to take your time choosing if agent is really intrested in your dc and thinks they can get child work will still take child on even if they have to wait till you look around and choose best agent for your child.
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

My 2 DD are with a small agency run by her part time Stage School and my eldest daughter got to the last 4 (over 500 were auditioned) for one of the Tracy Beaker Returns characters that joined in Series 3. She didn't get it but you don't have to be with a big agency if the jobs are through Spotlight and most of the well known and respected agencies insist you have a spotlight page. Eldest DD has also been in the full kids cast of Oliver at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane (West End) with Jodie Prenger and Griff Rhys Jones and one of the Von Trapp kids in The Sound of Music UK Tour with Connie Fisher, Michael Praed, Jason Donovan and Verity Rushworth. The actress who plays Sadie J also comes from her Stage School/Agency. So much depends on if you are in the right place, at the right time with the right skills. We know kids with A&J who are very happy and also kids with Abacus, again that are very happy. Some kids who were in Oliver and The Sound of Music didn't even have an agent (easier to do with Musical Theatre than TV/Film/Adverts). I would agree with the previous comments that say, take your time deciding and certainly have a good look around and consider everything.
cops22
GRAMMY Award

Post by cops22 »

When I was looking to change my DD's agent a couple of months ago I looked at Mark Jermin but after reading some very negative threads on here I changed my mind and went for Daisy&Dukes instead..... not seen one bad word about them anwhere....
I would say def do your research thoroughly, the agent you pick is really important :)
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

My dd been with Mark Jermin for a number of years now and despite living in South Wales she has managed to secure many professional castings in both theatre and tv, for us MJ has worked out really well and we have no complaints. Good luck I hope you find the right agent for your future. :D
cops22
GRAMMY Award

Post by cops22 »

Sorry bruno2 I didn't mean that to sound as if they are not a good agency... there are alot of people who have had great success from them but I did come across alot of negative comments too..... yes, you never know why those people are disgruntled, maybe they had been kicked out so then felt the need to complain who knows.... but I did think it was worth listening to and I did let the comments help me make a desicion.
With any agency I would say do all the research you can and do not rush into a decision.
I followed a few on facebook and twitter in order to see the castings, jobs etc
The gut feeling you get from meeting them should go along way, you ned to be able to have a good relationship with your agent and if you felt that you could and got all your questions answered when you met them then go for it.
Good luck, making the right decision for you
Also congrats to your dc for getting accepted =D> =D> =D>
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Good points from everyone about go with your gut instinct and differing experiences.
I for one found them poor communicators and complete time wasters, treated my DS with no consideration. Not impressed AT all and would not ever recommend them that's my own personal experience with them , clearly Bruno has another which is only positive restoring the balance
End of the day, they are successful and do get plenty of work, I won't deny that.
Maybe you need to just give them a try?
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

Great points given by everyone, whats good for one person, maybe not so good for another. Living down in Wales we cant afford to pick and choose ! You have to go into this with an open mind and if it doesnt work out there are other Agents out there. I totally agree with everyone, you may not get it right first time but its all good experience. We are all good mates on here and we all have our different experiences to share, thats why this site is so good ! Good luck :)
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

thing is that agents will give more attention to those they can get work for at any one time and when your dc is first taken on by an agent they put them up for castings and try them out and if they don't get recalls or secure roles, they kind of can get left by the wayside , and it depends how many dcs on their books too -
Its all about getting one good role, which can kick start further castings with any agent, which is what our dcs are in it for. If you look in Spotlight you can see how many dcs are on the same agents books that are similar to your own ds or dd, and gives you an idea of what experience they may already have, and it can explain a lot.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

How can I look at my D's Spotlight page. She's with Mark Jermin and I have asked for a pin number or something so that I can look but they haven't yet given it. She has been with Mark Jermin for 6 months now but only sent for 2 auditions. I know others with him that get sent for loads so don't know if it is 'if your face fits' but then why would they ask to represent your child if they're not going to send for castings? She's currently in UK Tour of Oliver but I got her that audition myself.
2girlsmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2girlsmum »

To see a spotlight page you do need the view pin sadly :(
cops22
GRAMMY Award

Post by cops22 »

I have the books I can look him if you want..... pm me with his name.... and i'll let you know that he is in there.