Chaperoning whilst pregnant?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

cupcake23
Nominee

Chaperoning whilst pregnant?

Post by cupcake23 »

Hi,
I wonder if anyone may be able to help me on here? My son has a job coming up 4 days the end of this month and 4 days the middle of March, I am a licensed chaperone and have the job of chaperoning him and another girl, I am however 6 months pregnant, do you think this would be o.k, I cannot find any information about chaperoning whilst pregnant! I myself certainly feel fine with it, I've been fortunate to have a great pregnancy, I feel as good as normal, which luckily has beeen the case with my other pregnancies, and im fit and healthy to do the job from my perspective, but I didnt know if there are any rules regarding this?
paulears
BAFTA Award

Re: Chaperoning whilst pregnant?

Post by paulears »

As a bloke I'm probably NOT best to comment, but I've had chaperones working for me in the past who were heavily pregnant, and having worked with dozens of pregnant ladies over the years, the only answer to this one comes from you. If you consider yourself fit enough, then only a letter from your doctor telling me I must not use you would make me have any doubts at all. A few times I have had people ask me if it's safe for a person to work when she's pregnant. My response has always been that it's not an illness and if the person feels able to function, then it's no problem at all to me. You could go into premature labour, but equally one of your colleagues could fall down the stairs and break a leg.

I've also developed a good understanding that you do not argue with pregnant ladies - ever!

If you are fit and healthy enough to have a baby, you know yourself if you're ok to work as a chaperone. I've looked in my info and there is nothing whatsoever that would cause me to even question it.

Squeezing through small gaps in the wings, though, could be, er, interesting!
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Congratulations! Babies are always good news. :D

As a card carrying feminist of a certain age, I and my sisters have fought for the right for women to be treated as equals regardless of any manifestation of our femininity. So, as long as you would expect the father of your new baby to be treated no differently from his colleagues because of his impending arrival, so no-one should treat you any differently either.

Unless you need them to.

So - respect for your status...you can sit down when you need to and go to the loo more often, and maybe...maybe...just be a bit more hormonal. The world can and should accommodate this. Otherwise, you are a person, not a pregnancy, and you can continue to chaperone for as long as you are able to fulfil the requirements of the role.

In employment law, your employer has to abide by the 'but for' rule. If 'but for being pregnant' you would have been able to do your job, your employer is required to accommodate your requirements. I know this, because in my day job I am the nominal employer of c300 team members, many of whom are women and -bless 'em - they get pregnant.

But if you are unsure - ask ACAS for chapter and verse on this.

Hope this helps - happy pregnancy!

Deb x
cupcake23
Nominee

Post by cupcake23 »

Thank you so much for your replies, I just hope the clients will have the same viewpoint as you! As I don't need any special kind of treatment and it will not make any difference to how well I can do the job of a chaperone!
R.e Squeezing through the wings, that made me chuckle!
x
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The LEA told me there was no reason why someone should not chaperone whilst pregnant as long as they are able to carry out their duties.

I could see problems at some very old theatres where there are lots of steps. I chaperoned once at a London theatre where no-one is allowed to use the lift on a Sunday as they were liable to break down and the engineers didn't work on Sundays.
GEORGIEROSE
GRAMMY Award

Post by GEORGIEROSE »

Gosh I think they could be in trouble if u got treated adversly due to being pregnant , as long as you feel happy and fit to do it then shoudn't matter
Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

Post by Georgeoliver »

I would love to become a child chaperone :D Not sure where to start and how it all works. Can anyone give me more information please :D
Que sera sera