Hammond school - Chester

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Hammond school - Chester

Post by Nicola »

Does anyone have personal experience of this school in Chester - I notice they have a "6th form drama school", which includes a 6th form course where you can do BTEC level 3 acting and also 2 A-levels on the side (note, not the "level 3 extended diploma", which is worth 3 A-levels - This is the BTEC level 3 diploma, which is the equivalent of 2 A-levels)

Sounds a good way of getting some vocational experience without closing all the academic channels, so just wondering if any of you fellow Northerners have any personal knowledge.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Re: Hammond school - Chester

Post by islandofsodor »

I only know people who have been on the dance strand which is very highly regarded.

I investigated their secondary drama strand for dd thinking ahead, but decided against as the increase in fees would only be manageable if it was inclusive of her singing and dance too. The drama strand didn't seem to include dance at all and dd would not want to give that up so we decided the course would not suit her.

An ex student of mine mentioned that she knew someone there I think, she's home on Friday I'll see if she knows anything.

Dh was due to go to an interview there but pulled out as they were only offering MPS classroom rather than vocal tutor rates.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

Thanks for that IOS - I'm thinking ahead too as you can see (for the 6th form - she wouldn't apply for another 2 years!!) but from their prospectus for this particular course, it does say "Additional singing and dance classes plus one to one vocal training are included within this course", although I don't know how much, or whether this applies all down the school or just for 6th form.

Certainly sounds interesting anyway - and nice to have another option as I investigated South Cheshire, and they tried to tell me that their BTEC Level 3 extended performing arts (general) is the same as BTEC Level 3 extended performing arts (acting), which I know isn't the case -they have some common modules, but not all.

If you do find anything out from your contact, do fill me in and likewise if I find out any more, I'll let you know.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

The other thing that put me off was it seemed to be a bit middle of nowhere for an 11 year old to travel to. We couldn't afford boarding.

Thinking about it dh went to college with one of their singing teachers (if she is still there) I think he has her on his facebook.
Nicola
GRAMMY Award

Post by Nicola »

K wouldn't want to board either, but as it's only for a 2 year course (and 40 mins according to multimap) I thought it was drivable by me until she got her license (which would only be about 6 months in) and after that she could drive herself.

We'd have to try the journey obviously - it may not be quite so straightforward!

Like you, I don't think I'd consider it for the whole of senior school because of the distance.
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

Hi, I know this is quite an old post so attempting to resurrect it. Does anyone here have any first hand experience of this school, at year 7 upwards level? is it very much geared towards dance or quite evenly balanced with Drama and Music?
2dancersmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by 2dancersmum »

As far as I am aware students enter the school via audition on either a dance, a drama or a music strand and the majority of their non-academic studies will be in the strand they have taken. There are separate performance opportunities also. Having said that all dances do have drama and singing lessons each week and there are 'clubs' like choir which any student can join and I believe musical instrument tuition is also available to anyone. I have no first hand experience of lower school. My DD joined at 6th from where there is essentially entry onto either the 2 year Drama Btec course, with A levels or entry onto the 3 year diploma in Professional Dance or Musical Theatre (with up to 2 A levels if desired). The diploma has a common first year where all students do dance, acting and vocal studies as Hammond but even onto year 2 DD on the dance course will still get one acting and one vocal class each week. Students who have come up through the school do seem to be strong across all disciplines from what I have seen. Balletcoforum has had many discussions on Hammond in the past, although obviously it is more from the prospective of keen ballet dancers than all rounders but there are many parents on that forum with children in all years of lower school who may be able to answer your question.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Things have changed since my last post and dd starts in Year 7 in September. We ummed & ahhed about whether she should audition for dance or drama. She's got in on dance. They do all styles plus a lot of singing. She also plans on keeping up her piano.
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

So it does sound fairly versatile. 2dancersmum, i'll check out Balletcoforum, that's really helpful advice, thankyou :)
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd went on her induction day yesterday & loved it.
jollyjelly
GRAMMY Award

Post by jollyjelly »

islandofsodor wrote:Dd went on her induction day yesterday & loved it.
Hi islandofsodor, so I guess you're fairly local to the school. I bet she's really looking forward to starting in September! We are still weighing up our options regarding schooling (they are wide and varied), but just finding an arrangement that we are all happy with is proving a little tricky. Ds is just finishing year 7, which makes the situation even more complicated.
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Just bumping this old thread - does anyone have a DC on the junior school (y7 and up) drama strand at Hammond at the moment?
My DS is strong in drama and singing and weak in dance, although he enjoys it. Is there no dance on the drama strand or are there any options to do some? It seems a shame to give it up completely but he definitiely woudln't get in to the dance course.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

There is one dance class per week on the drama course.

Some of the drama students who are local to the school attend a local dance school run by an ex Hammond & a current Hammond dance teacher.
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

islandofsodor wrote:There is one dance class per week on the drama course.

Some of the drama students who are local to the school attend a local dance school run by an ex Hammond & a current Hammond dance teacher.
Thank you, that's helpful to know. We are too far away so DS would have to board, so presumably nothing organised through school for this to happen?
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Next question please, kind and knowledgeable Hammond parents! Do they allow weekly boarding or is it all or nothing? Website doesn't say, and school office hasn't returned my call (maybe due to summer holidays).
Thanks x