Paying to get music tracks cut

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Paying to get music tracks cut

Post by islandofsodor »

How much would you expect to pay to get a music track cut?

My son is really good at this and quite a few people have asked him to help them out. He is going to be studying Music Technology at college next year and has been wanting to get a part time job so we feel that it would not be unreasonable for him to charge a small amount to do this work. He uses Logic Pro rather than just Audacity so he can work his way around key changes etcand making sure the beat is not interrupted at all.. so for example someone asked him to cut the extended instrumental section of a song which is where the dialogue would be in the stage version

Has anyone ever paid to get tracks specially cut or altered and roughly how much have they paid as he doesn't want to take the mickey. I was thinking a few pounds for a simple cut?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: Paying to get music tracks cut

Post by lotsolaffs »

I know who are desperate for help with cutting tracks,dance schools who enter competitions. I have heard some shocking cuts,perhaps he could contact some local dance schools and see if it's a service they would like?
I would offer 1 track for £5 with discounts for more tracks purchased up to a maximum amount. One thing he could do is say the cost can be passed on to the parents so potentially not costing the school anything ,only providing him with a good customer base.
I would also offer it as an exclusive to a parent,not a school. That way he can earn more as if it's a school they can just hang onto the tracks and reuse them for future competitions.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

That's a really interesting idea.

The one he did last night (for someone from his youth theatre) was a backing track that she wanted to sing to. She is playing the role in a theatre production but wanted a cut to be able to sing at a concert. I thought £5 was a bit expensive but then again I've never had to pay for one myself as dh also does them for the college he works at and dd is capable of doing simple ones as well. I think it takes a trained musician to do good ones.

He is also able (but it takes a LOT longer) to transcribe. For example some girls at his school wanted to perform Ex Wives from Six but the sheet music hadn't yet been published (it has now) & the only track they could find to buy was rubbish. So he played it by ear into Logic then added instrumentation & manipulated it all to make a track.

He also does key changes so for example his theatre group just did a gender swop cabaret so he transposed the backing tracks without altering the speed. It did get to the point though that once one person asked him to do it for them he was inundated and I said that it was fine doing favours for friends but he was spending a lot of time on it so ought to start asking a small charge.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

I think he shouldn't under price himself,it is something that is beyond a lot of people.
It takes time and skill. Maybe an introductory offer? Buy 2 get one free ?
I think he is on to a winner