BTEC dance

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

BTEC dance

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, my DD is choosing GCSE/BTEC options for year 10 and was planning on taking BTEC acting and BTEC dance. Apparently for various logistical reasons, she has to choose between BTEC dance or her other choice is GCSE business studies. Her tutor has advised to do business studies as she does a lot of dance already out of school, but I suspect he is not coming at it from a ‘career in the performing arts industry’ perspective.

I just wondered what other parents on this forum think? My DD was looking forward to doing dance but now she not sure what to do. How important is doing BTEC dance? She’s fairly good at dance but not outstanding, as she has started slightly later than most serious dancers, so we thought the extra dance at school would help. Though she wants to pursue musical theatre rather than pure dance however.

Thanks in advance.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: BTEC dance

Post by lotsolaffs »

I would go for it personally,mine did GCSE dance and got a 9, she enjoyed it and luckily was with other more focused students. Only thing is that it might be seen as an easy option by lots of students and they may not be so focused as she would like.
It isn't that important as a requirement for further training but may help or give her a bit more confidence . It has actually been useful towards her dance training now on an Extended BTEC Level 3.
If she enjoys it and thinks she will do well go for it.