Performing children and SATs

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Kasmum
BRIT Award

Performing children and SATs

Post by Kasmum »

Not really help needed, but more curiosity. A friend and I were chatting as we both have year six kids. What happens if a child has a major production ongoing during SATs...... Such as a tour or feature film where they are being educated off site. Did a bit of research and read a few possibilities including sitting the tests at different times and even locations but nothing concrete on performing kids specifically on government guidelines ect. Does anyone know?
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: Performing children and SATs

Post by lotsolaffs »

I wouldn't really know as my DD didn't miss much of primary but my DS is in primary and the school absolutely forbids time off around this time. With 2 older ones at secondary school now,all I know about SATS is that they base their predicted GCSE grades on an exam they took when they were 11 -which to me just seems ridiculous.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I am out of that stage now but at the time the headteacher said NO TIME off when SATS are on. If a child is off sick on a day of a test then it is usually done when they are back in school, but we are talking about the next day or so and first thing in the morning so that they haven't spoken to any children about the test. If not taken then it will mean that there is no data to base KS3 and KS4 predicted grades on - which in my opinion is ridiculous anyway.
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

Ds was in a show in year 6 during SATS. The exams came first, they just brought in one of the other boys to cover
Toontownmum
Nominee

Post by Toontownmum »

When we have had conversations in the past SATs are about the only thing CD's allow time off for. (This was MT).
The last TV thing we did they asked straight up if the kids were doing SATs as they would work around.
Jbogle
Nominee

Post by Jbogle »

Hi, my DS was in an international touring production when his yr 6 SATS were on, we were up front about it at contract stage saying he could only commit if he could fly back for SATS, also the head teacher was implicit in his school permission letter that this was the case. I remember at the time asking the tutors whether there was any way to send the sats papers remotely to where the kids were, but this cannot be done for security reasons. My (lovely) headteacher also had very long chats with the DoE to see if anything could be done. If you are in the UK, there is a possibility the exams could be sat at a local school I think?
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

DS was in Matilda during SATS - it was the only time allowed off from the show.
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

Only time school would not give my son time off. I told the agency the dates of SATS so he wasn't put forward for anything round that time, also as he started yr 7 in September I wanted him to have a good first term at school as I felt it was so important, explained it to agency and poss was the best thing as he has settled in, had hardly any interuptions, got nice group of friends and is ready now to start auditioning again. Its a bit of a juggle to find the right balance. I have totally gone off track with this sorry. :-$