Good MT holiday courses?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Good MT holiday courses?

Post by Hilltop »

Hello,
I am fairly new to this site. I am looking for some good school holiday musical theatre courses for my DD who is almost 12. Either residential or not is fine (depending on distance). We live about 40 mins by train west of London. I have found a few, but I am looking for some advice on the best ones that your DC have attended and enjoyed/learnt the most from. Many thanks.
Last edited by Hilltop on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Re: Good MT holiday courses?

Post by jennifer1972 »

NYT, NYMT and YMT are the obvious answers. Fantastic training and great experiences to be had, but can work out pricey. Look at your local theatres and see what they can offer. My DD has had some great experiences doing local stuff during the summer. She recently did a half-term project with the British Theatre Academy too, which was a great experience and free!!
zodlebud
BRIT Award

Post by zodlebud »

The Jo Hawes four day courses are excellent- with Carrie Grant teaching singing and Mark Hedges doing the choreography.

Includes lots of other activities too. My daughter had a blast and learnt so much.
biscuitsneeded
BAFTA Award

Post by biscuitsneeded »

I second the suggestion of NYMT and YMT holiday courses (which are a separate thing from the residentials for productions but may well be taking place at the same time at the same venue. Apparently Tring do a very good musical theatre holiday course too. And I know Spirit YPC do holiday courses as well.
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Hello, I'm new and still learning all the abbreviation so forgive me if this isn't along the right lines. West send summer school is meant to be very good and DS is booked to attend next summer. Residential or not and amazing experiences throughout the weeks course x
Hilltop
GRAMMY Award

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks so much for the replies - these are really helpful.
Sorry Adrianna1312, I've edited my post to change MT to musical theatre!
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Post by Dogcop »

We usually do the Sylvia Young ones which are great but this half term did the Jo Hawes four day course. Dd loved this and they are a great team leading it
Adrianna1312
BRIT Award

Post by Adrianna1312 »

Thanks Hilltop, I'm getting the hang of them and making mental notes when I come across them :D
There seem to be some great course out there
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

My daughter did the drama summer school residential at Tring this year and loved it and wants to go back. They run 3 different residentials, dance, drama and musical theatre. We live in the North so have to do residential courses.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

On the other hand my daughter didn't rate Tring at all.

She really enjoyed Bird but I think you have to be 14 for that one.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

islandofsodor wrote:On the other hand my daughter didn't rate Tring at all.

She really enjoyed Bird but I think you have to be 14 for that one.
I was going to mention this, but didn't think it was fair without asking you first. What I suspect happened is that the dancers went to the dance summer school weeks and the actors went to the drama one Tring ran, and the ones who like singing best plumped for the musical theatre course. That might be worth considering when choosing a course OP, whether your child feels their strength lies in dancing, acting or singing.