How to do this self-tape?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

How to do this self-tape?

Post by FredaBloggs »

DS has been asked to do a self-tape for a TV role as we can't attend the audition session. He's been given sides for 2 short scenes, but I'm at a bit lost on how to film them because there is so little dialogue. One scene has a single word of dialogue, the other has no lines at all. Both scenes are basically a lot of directions describing how the character is reacting with facial expressions and body language to what he is seeing, plus some physical interaction with an adult character.

Does anyone have any advice on how to film this sort of scene? Should I read out the scene directions while DS reacts to them? A key part of one scene is DS's character being pushed by an adult character. Shoukd someone play the adult in the scene and actually act out the push, or should DS just pretend he's been pushed?

All advice gratefully accepted - we've never done this sort of scene as a self-tape before!
ScoobyDoo
GRAMMY Award

Re: How to do this self-tape?

Post by ScoobyDoo »

Gosh tricky, personally, but I don't know if it is right, in fact probably not, I do hand over props or push or prod (gentle I promise!) because it is really hard to do a credible reaction to some things without the prop and I want to make sure DS shows the best he can do and that tends to be with the extra actions. I think that Casting Directors are more interested in looking for what they want rather than our rubbish techniques.

That said, it would probably be better to ask your DS if, in the auditions he has been to, the CD has interacted - I am not sure they do.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

That is a tricky one! I would be tempted to add in an adult ,perhaps off camera though,I think I’d steer clear of reading out the directions etc and just read the script,I guess they will be looking for how the kids react with body language to the dialogue. I will add that we are total beginners so I may be completely wrong but thought I’d give another point of view :) good luck xx
FredaBloggs
GRAMMY Award

Post by FredaBloggs »

Thanks for the suggestions, ScoobyDoo and Moosmum.

There's no dialogue at all in the scenes apart from a single word. The scene directions are almost entirely a description of what the character is seeing and how they react. That's why I thought reading out at least the parts about what the character sees might work, otherwise just filming DS's reactions/expressions won't make much sense.

I've asked DS's agent, who's a bit stumped too and is going to check with the CD what it is they want.
Moosmum
BRIT Award

Post by Moosmum »

Oh gosh that is confusing!! How odd!! Hope you get sorted! X
thenorth2017
Nominee

Post by thenorth2017 »

I was looking for a new Agency for DD when I found this great helpful guide to do a self tape - on an Agency site?? strange, but it's very practical information!
https://www.asatalent.co.uk/copy-of-contact
Zoeharvey1
BRIT Award

Post by Zoeharvey1 »

thenorth2017 wrote:I was looking for a new Agency for DD when I found this great helpful guide to do a self tape - on an Agency site?? strange, but it's very practical information!
https://www.asatalent.co.uk/copy-of-contact
This guide is great. Thanks