Self tapes?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Self tapes?

Post by Bbzoom »

We are fairly new to the agency / casting business, but I have noticed an emerging pattern and wondered if this is usual.

At face to face castings / auditions she has consistently either got the part (yay!), had a recall or been called back in and given excellent feedback from the director. All good, very happy with this. More than I expected.

Self tapes - nothing. Never had a response. I always follow the instructions exactly and the agency seem happy with the tapes we submit, but I am wondering if we are doing / not doing something that makes a difference.

Is this just the way it is? DD is now a bit less enthusiastic about doing them, which of course is a vicious circle.

Any help or experience much appreciated! Thank you for reading.
Mia17
Nominee

Re: Self tapes?

Post by Mia17 »

Hi, First off well done to your daughter getting great feedback is amazing!
I know my DD is the same at much prefers face to face auditions:)
I don't know if you have watched equity's videos on all the tips and how to do a great self tape heres the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzWxlQ8 ... pp=desktop

hope that helps!
lots of luck to your DD x
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

Thank you so much for replying. I had not seeen the video you linked so have now watched that and a few others. I think we are mostly doing it right!

I never expected her to be recalled or get everything that she is sent for, but it did seem that the self tapes are not right. However, maybe they have so far been for things that she is not right for. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks again fir your reply and good luck to your DD also x
George'smum
BRIT Award

Post by George'smum »

Self-tapes are such an odd one aren't they, it seems easier because you have time to get it right, but I always end up coming to the conclusion that the first take was the best! With regards to not hearing back, I guess they ask a lot more children to cast when they do it via self tape. In that respect, they have a much larger pool of children to cast from. They can also make much more rash decisions on whether the face fits and just stop watching, whereas in a face to face casting they usually give them adequate time (and perhaps the child's personality wins them over). Whilst I love self tapes, as they give my kids a chance to learn lines, try out characters etc, (without the train fare!) we don't seem to get much work via them either. My video skills were certainly to blame at the beginning but the guides are very useful. Plus it's fun watching them back years later if you're scrolling through old videos and they appear!
actor101
BRIT Award

Post by actor101 »

Sorry if this is an obvious one! I'm a newbie.
I should say thanks to the very helpful people on this site, helping me navigate this strange new world.

We've done a few self tapes but no success either.

For self tapes for a song can you record a voice memo or does it have to be a video recording showing them singing?
Brighterthanstars
BRIT Award

Post by Brighterthanstars »

actor101 wrote: For self tapes for a song can you record a voice memo or does it have to be a video recording showing them singing?
I would always use video. It matters to them what you look like singing because its all part of the performance especially in musicals where the songs 'express the characters feelings' and stuff.
I know someone who uses a recording of her singing and syncs it up to video of her saying the words as she is conscious of how she looks singing full out- but I wouldn't think its worth the time or energy and it also takes a bit of editing skill to make it look perfect.
B x
If you think that you're too small to make an impact, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room.
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

Hi i love self tapes as save the travel cost that makes castings so expensive- so nothing lost if they dont get it.
However we've also had a low success rate with them, i also find it quite frustrating when we take the time to do them and theyr never watched!! the amount of Wetransfers where we've theyv emailed to say its never been downloaded by the recipient or unlisted youtube vids that have no views is huge!!
however we have just had our first confirmed job from a self tape last month :) xx
actor101
BRIT Award

Post by actor101 »

Brighterthanstars wrote:
actor101 wrote: For self tapes for a song can you record a voice memo or does it have to be a video recording showing them singing?
I would always use video. It matters to them what you look like singing because its all part of the performance especially in musicals where the songs 'express the characters feelings' and stuff.
I know someone who uses a recording of her singing and syncs it up to video of her saying the words as she is conscious of how she looks singing full out- but I wouldn't think its worth the time or energy and it also takes a bit of editing skill to make it look perfect.
B x
Thank you! Based on your advice we did a retake and sent in a video. We had a reply saying not this time but thank you.
Still pleased as this is more feedback than we sometimes get from regular auditions.