At wit's end

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

ghostofpp
BRIT Award
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am

At wit's end

Post by ghostofpp » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:58 am

I'm trying not to lose heart -- and definitely not posting to complain about anything, just thought maybe it's the right time to ask for advice..

Basically I can't seem to get to do acting. On advice of a CD I chose Cambridge university over drama school. Most people from my cohort got agents and are now doing extremely well, but I later realised that it was all done though their parents in the industry, or their parents' friends. (I'm really happy for them nonetheless.)

I got into the National Youth Theatre, but was rejected without any recalls for their season shows and rep company. This felt strange because at the auditions I was taken aside and privately told how impressed they were with my performance. It was honestly one of the most surreal, amazing moments in my life...

Apart from National Youth Theatre, there aren't many opportunities to be involved with things (I've used Spotlight and CCP but haven't received anything though them). I live in an isolated commuter town with no local theatre groups, and have gone to expensive classes and workshops in London but I haven't learned much from them.

It's the learning I miss in acting -- I think it's almost impossible to keep up acting as a skill without working with other people. Because I had a breakdown at university due to some bullying/an ongoing chaotic home situation/a friend dying, I sort of missed the boat with making friends. I did try getting back in touch with some people, but they are all busy doing their own thing and we don't have that much in common anymore.

The good thing that came out of all this, is that I know how to deal with extreme sadness and hardship/being out of work, so at least that is something to hold onto. I've come to know myself quite well and can protect myself better, mentally (I hope).

It feels like the only option left is to go to drama school, which I can't afford, but I'll probably think of that if/after I get in. I just wondered if anyone knew of anything else that I'm not aware of, that could be helpful in a situation like this? Would be interested in hearing!

swanny
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 am

Re: At wit's end

Post by swanny » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 am

Hi

I can't help with advice on drama school etc but I just wanted to say don't lose heart. All your life experiences will help you be a better actress. Stick with Cambridge and get your degreee. Then consider what you do next. Very few people make a full time career out of acting therefore you need every string to your bow to earn a living. Are there not acting opportunities at the university?
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!

ghostofpp
BRIT Award
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am

Re: At wit's end

Post by ghostofpp » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:42 am

swanny wrote:Hi

I can't help with advice on drama school etc but I just wanted to say don't lose heart. All your life experiences will help you be a better actress. Stick with Cambridge and get your degreee. Then consider what you do next. Very few people make a full time career out of acting therefore you need every string to your bow to earn a living. Are there not acting opportunities at the university?
Thank you -- have graduated now. You are completely right. I tried other professional jobs, but didn't enjoy them, as much as I strove to. It's painful

paulears
BAFTA Award
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:01 am

Re: At wit's end

Post by paulears » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 am

If you are brave - then send a link to your showreel to people on this forum, and ask them for honest first impressions. People have done this in the past and had useful results. You'll get a few 100% positive ones, but you're looking for the small things that help form impressions. I know that I have problems with my arms - looking at a camera, the head and torso behave, but my arms seem to move without me being aware, which draws people's focus. I have seen people who have odd facial expressions, or teeth issues, or odd pronunciation of common words, or odd vacant expressions and getting a nice stranger to see if they spot anything could help.

Something must put people off, and you can't work it out - so ask the people here to have a look and see what they think. Maybe you will never have been told what they see. Friends and relatives often just see past this stuff, and their help might not be useful. People who don't know you, and are honest are what you want.

toesxed
BRIT Award
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by toesxed » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello,
Keep going, don't give up! You have a degree as a back up.
Is this any good? Cambridge Arts Theatre are auditioning: http://cambridgeoperatic.org.uk/?page_id=2033
Did you try to get into Footlights at Cambridge and if not, is it worth trying to get involved as a graduate now?
Good luck xx

actor101
BRIT Award
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by actor101 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm


ghostofpp
BRIT Award
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am

Re: At wit's end

Post by ghostofpp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 am

actor101 wrote:Just seen this on twitter.

https://www.opendoor.org.uk/news/2017/8 ... s-are-open
That is amazing!! But criteria state no university degree. This would have been perfect. I feel very sad. Thank you for sharing it though, nice to know people will get help with applying.
Last edited by ghostofpp on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostofpp
BRIT Award
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am

Re: At wit's end

Post by ghostofpp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:48 am

toesxed wrote:Hello,
Keep going, don't give up! You have a degree as a back up.
Is this any good? Cambridge Arts Theatre are auditioning: http://cambridgeoperatic.org.uk/?page_id=2033
Did you try to get into Footlights at Cambridge and if not, is it worth trying to get involved as a graduate now?
Good luck xx
Thanks so much! Wish I still lived in Cambridge.

biscuitsneeded
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by biscuitsneeded » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18 am

You got into NYT. That isn't easy to do. OK so you didn't get placed in a show this year but you obviously have talent, so you have to dust yourself off and try again next year. Do you sing and/or dance too? If so, double up and try for NYMT too if you're not too old (you don't say how old you are). It's hard to believe there is no local am dram at all where you live - or could you look at the next commuter town if there's none where you are? Don't dismiss am dram - it can be really great, and can teach you a lot.
What about a career in the theatre world? Our local theatre takes on graduates for fairly lowly box office jobs but they can quickly progress into management/marketing/education departments if they're good. What is your degree in? Any transferable skills?
Ultimately if you really feel you'll only be happy performing then you probably have to bite the bullet and get some training. If you are triple threat then Emil Dale might be interesting for you as it offers great value for ££. If you're more of an actor then look at your options. Could you train part-time and work alongside it?
https://www.thestage.co.uk/advice/2015/ ... ht-course/

It's very tough, but one thing every performer has to learn quickly is resilience. Even those who sail into drama school at 18 with fees paid by wealthy parents will experience rejection and knockbacks once they start auditioning for jobs. You have to be prepared to work any job just to pay the rent and put food on the table, while constantly working to improve your skills and push yourself further. Those who succeed don't just have talent, they have supreme determination, resilience and self belief. You'll need all of those so (in the nicest possible way!) stop feeling sorry for yourself and comparing your lot with others', and start planning how you're going to achieve your aim. Getting any kind of job that allows you to save up some ££ would be a good start.

ghostofpp
BRIT Award
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:42 am

Re: At wit's end

Post by ghostofpp » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:25 am

biscuitsneeded wrote:You got into NYT. That isn't easy to do. OK so you didn't get placed in a show this year but you obviously have talent, so you have to dust yourself off and try again next year. Do you sing and/or dance too? If so, double up and try for NYMT too if you're not too old (you don't say how old you are). It's hard to believe there is no local am dram at all where you live - or could you look at the next commuter town if there's none where you are? Don't dismiss am dram - it can be really great, and can teach you a lot.
What about a career in the theatre world? Our local theatre takes on graduates for fairly lowly box office jobs but they can quickly progress into management/marketing/education departments if they're good. What is your degree in? Any transferable skills?
Ultimately if you really feel you'll only be happy performing then you probably have to bite the bullet and get some training. If you are triple threat then Emil Dale might be interesting for you as it offers great value for ££. If you're more of an actor then look at your options. Could you train part-time and work alongside it?
https://www.thestage.co.uk/advice/2015/ ... ht-course/

It's very tough, but one thing every performer has to learn quickly is resilience. Even those who sail into drama school at 18 with fees paid by wealthy parents will experience rejection and knockbacks once they start auditioning for jobs. You have to be prepared to work any job just to pay the rent and put food on the table, while constantly working to improve your skills and push yourself further. Those who succeed don't just have talent, they have supreme determination, resilience and self belief. You'll need all of those so (in the nicest possible way!) stop feeling sorry for yourself and comparing your lot with others', and start planning how you're going to achieve your aim. Getting any kind of job that allows you to save up some ££ would be a good start.
Completely agree. Hardship is experienced by all people at different times in their lives. There's little point in comparing myself

I work two jobs at the moment but deeply unhappy in both of them. Trying to support 2 other people in my family through those, as well as myself. You're right about training. Thanks for writing this

jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by jennifer1972 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:29 pm

There must be some one year postgrad drama courses available. I'm sure someone on here would know about that. Good luck and don't give up!!

biscuitsneeded
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by biscuitsneeded » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:45 pm

I assume you are aware of this kind of course. Of course you'd still have to find the fees. But it sounds ideal for someone in your position. http://www.oldvic.ac.uk/courses/full-ti ... cting.html

newgirl
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:04 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by newgirl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 pm

You are so young don't panic it's all ahead of you! Can you move to a more buzzy place with an active theatre scene e.g. Bristol, Brighton? And maybe work in a theatre even in the bar just to get back into it and hang out with like minded people? Might give you a boost x

Robin64
BAFTA Award
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by Robin64 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:55 am

Hi newgirl I hope things have picked up for you. I have just read this thread and thought of Peer Productions which offer free training up to age 23 or 24. I don't know them from experience but have seen them mentioned on napm before. I agree that perhaps a move to a place with more opportunities could also be good even if you could do amdram or voluntary theatre. Brighton and Bristol are good suggestions. NYT is hard to get into so well done, you might get offered a future production so keep trying and contact agents, go for open castings. Best of luck.

lotsolaffs
GRAMMY Award
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Re: At wit's end

Post by lotsolaffs » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:01 pm

I was going to suggest Peer Productions too,I know 3 that have taken part hope something turns up for you.

Post Reply