Clueless! What classes to do?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Simba
Nominee

Clueless! What classes to do?

Post by Simba »

Hi all

I'm a complete newbie to the world of performing arts and I was after some advice on my 4 year old dd.

Hopefully it's goes without saying on this forum, that all I'm doing at this stage is following my dd's interests while looking at what would provide her the best foundation and options should she choose to carry on in this area later on. Also everything is subject to change as the social/school/extra curricular balances changes.

She currently does weekly
Acro 30mins
Ballet, Tap and Modern 1 hour
Musical Theatre 1.5 hour

She really looks forward to each class and I've really seen her confidence and language skills improve greatly as well as making lots of friends.

So I was wondering, going forward what else would compliment these sorts of classes? I've got her wait listed for singing as the list is so long for a 'good' school that when she is old enough her name will be near the top of the list.

What age is LAMDA exams from?

If the expense get too much would Acro be the class to drop?

Am I right in thinking that Musical Theatre is the best 'all rounder' and Ballet, Modern and Tap and the ones to keep up for a good foundation.

Sorry if I sound a bit over, but I heard that some things it's better to start young and then give up rather than try when you're older.

TIA (Hope I've posted this on the right board)
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Re: Clueless! What classes to do?

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi there,

This is probably not what you want to hear but... your DD is only 4 years old - only just starting school I assume? There are a lot of big changes about to happen for her, new school, new friends not to mention the demands of the very intensive new National Curriculum. I am sure that she thoroughly enjoys, and looks forward to her extra curricular classes but she's already doing 2 hours a week (plus you mention there may be singing lessons in the near future). That's surely more than enough at 4 - she needs some down time/play time too. If her enthusiasm for the performing arts continues then you should find that her current teachers will guide her (and you) with regard to extra classes. When she's older perhaps look at something like Stagecoach which combines all 3 disciplines but let it be her choice. Only my humble opinion of course but I have had 2 kids go this route (though they both started later than 4) and have a fair amount of experience in the kids side of the industry. One thing I can say for sure is that the lack of an extra hour's dance lessons at 4 years old will not mean you DD doesn't have a chance (slim though it be for everyone) of wonderful career in the industry so for now, don't stress, don't worry and both of you - enjoy it!
Simba
Nominee

Post by Simba »

Thank you for the reply and I'm happy to hear all all opinions so I don't mind at all hearing what I might not want to hear if that makes sense.

In my area there I have limited access to activities as I don't drive. So any of the better run clubs that I would be able to get to combined with the journey time for dd really cuts down on what we can sign up for.

The better kind of clubs that we can reach more of less have a waiting list of at least a year if not more so the chances of dd getting a place at a ballet class when she is 6 realistic means that she couldn't start until she was 7 if not older. So I suppose what I should have asked was would be good Performance Arts wise to get her on the waiting list for. Also maybe I just like to plan so I'm looking for a brief summary of guidance now so I know what to expected and save for! Lol

I totally take on board what you are saying about downtime. Currently we have a good balance of family time, play dates, days out, little trips to the park and pj days.

With all this and the classes we still have a couple of days that are wake up and see what we want to do. Which is why if dd shows a interest into another class would replace something she already does. She is already wait listed for Rainbows and Cubs for whenever the place comes up.

In regards to when she starts school the plan is to keep paying for the classes to keep her place and dd will miss the classes until she is settled. The teachers were happy to do this when we had our second child and then started pre school as this was a big changes that meant dd was too tired or just needed the comfort of home.

I actually found that dd preferred to have the stability and security of her routine when it's come to changes in her life.

The other side to me about questioning other classes is that I do have to do my research into not only what we can get to but if I feel it's a good club.

When my dd started dance we just signed up to the local one on word of mouth recommendation which I deeply regret. The teacher herself is lovely. The owner of the the school is another story, e.g. unapproachable, over charging for costumes, no much thought or care for students, putting children onto the stage with no stage rehearsal and the costumes literally falling apart or barely hanging on, the senior classes don't seemed to have progressed. In short the feeling is that the owner (who took over the business rather than built it up herself which could exuberant attitude) seems to just care about doing as little as possible, not wanting to invest in either her teachers or students and getting money.

I would love nothing more than to stop this class and the only reason I don't is that dd loves her teacher.

So I ideally just want my dd is the right place and then let dd make the choices of what she continues or doesn't. It's a shame that I have been unable to find a Performance Arts School that offers everything and then dd could pick and choose more easily.

Sorry if I don't explain myself very well.
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

If you are concerned about your existing dance school then it is definitely worth exploring other teachers and schools. Balletcoforum is a wonderful source of advice for what to look out for and what is and is not acceptable practice in the industry.

I know it is tempting to plan everything ahead of time and sometimes it has to be this way - but 3 children later I have found the more heavily I invest my time and effort and plan off my own bat, the more likely the child is to change their mind. The activities where we have just wafted along (still attending regularly and trying hard, just not pre plotting the pathway to the olympics/west end) we have tended to end up with coaches or teachers coming to us to suggest new opportunities, and with a happy and focused child achieving more than we ever imagined.

Good luck and enjoy whatever happens. There are many lifelong skills to be gained by a child learning a craft from inspirational people, whether or not it ever becomes a career.
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

I don't think 4 is too early! I would do some research and get her into a dance school with high standards and a good reputation and stick with them. . Best way seems to be by word of mouth, but you could also go and watch the show cases / dance competitions if that's your thing. Have a look at their older pupils too so you can see what she might progress to. In my experience, it is harder to change schools later down the line and fit in if you realise you have made a mistake. No doubt about it, some dance teachers are a bit odd (no offence to any dance teachers!), but you just need to be satisfied that they have a fair and professional approach and have the kind of approach that your DD will respond to. Most good ones here will let you watch one class to help you decide.

Once your DD is in her age appropriate class, I would just be guided by them telling you if /when she needs to add any as she gets older and progresses through the grades. By that time, your DD will tell you of she wants to do acting / singing etc.

A good foundation in dance is essential if she did decide to take it further, so you might as well try and get it right from the beginning.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

I also think that's quite enough for a four year old.

At age 4 my dd did Stagecoach (half hour each of dance, singing & drama) plus a half hour ballet class. She could have done tap but it clashed with stagecoach. Her dance school didn't offer modern until around age 5/6. She did LAMDA but it was just 10 minutes a week & happened as part of the stagecoach session.

At age 7 dd increased her classes a lot. She did 3 hours of stagecoach plus 45 mins each if ballet, modern & Tap plus LAMDA. BY age 11 she had added an hour dance team & a contemporary class. She didn't start individual singing lessons until she went to vocational school aged 11. In hindsight I wish she'd done an extra ballet class.
Simba
Nominee

Post by Simba »

Thank you everyone for the replies, a lot to think about!

I think then it sounds like we're on the right track for the time being as in Acro being the one to swap for any new activity. It also sounds like the current classes are the ones to stick to for a good foundation should dd want to do anything further. As Bbzoom said, it's better to try and get it right from the beginning. :)

I will definitely be looking into a better dance school and will probably change that one once dd is a bit older as for now she adores her teacher. I really appreciate the advice on how to research a good dance school.

Sounds like that on this pathway the thing I need to plan for is the time and money going forward, so I'll have to be putting in for overtime!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

My only advice would be this..
If you are unhappy with the dance school and the way it is run ...get out and quick!
She is 4 and most 4 year olds love their teachers, but they can love another one just as quickly.
You are paying for this, and this type of toxic environment can quickly escalate and cause problems in the long term. I speak from experience here, my DS' first dance school was one we went to because all his friends went. I quickly learnt it wasn't a healthy and happy place to be, it was full of back biting, bitching and bullying but I let him stay as I wasn't brave or knowledgeable enough to get out as I should have.
There must be other places, look around and take your time.
A dance school for a serious dancer can be as important to a child as their regular school.
Of course she is only 4 and there is plenty of time, but I would start casting my net a little wider as they are amazing schools run by amazing and inspirational teachers out there,you just need to find it!
good luck x
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE