How long to accept representation offer?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

AlexHL
GRAMMY Award

How long to accept representation offer?

Post by AlexHL »

Hi there would love some advice on this from anyone!

On Wednesday I was emailed by an agency I applied to, offering me representation; I am 90% sure I would like to go with them but I always feel a bit uncertain about making big decisions!

I have been away on holiday until today, so I have only just seen the email. How long do I reasonably have to respond to this offer? Since they emailed me on Wednesday, would they expect a reply by tomorrow? Or should I reply to their email thanking for them for their offer and say that I will get back to them ASAP?

Thanks so much for your help, I am never too sure what to do in these situations!xx
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: How long to accept representation offer?

Post by ACookie »

I assume you have already met them in person and didn't just send a reel? If not that's the first thing I would arrange. You'll only be sure once you've met face to face. Do you have other options you are waiting on? If not what are your reservations? Do you know anyone else with the same agent? Have you asked on here if anyone has experience of the particular agent? I would expect them to want an answer reasonably soon, but nothing is set in stone until you sign a contract anyway - and even then most will only ask for 4 weeks or so notice if you decide to move on - read the contract carefully though! If they are keen to represent you, I'm sure they'll wait a short while.
AlexHL
GRAMMY Award

Post by AlexHL »

hi Acookie thanks for your reply :)

No I have not met them yet, they have just watched my showreel! My plan was to accept the offer and then ask to meet face to face, but is this sort of not the done thing? I think that is my only reservation about them is that I have not met them face to face! but as I know they are reputable agency that was sort of why I felt like I should just accept straight away- as I am sure people normally would say yes straight away!

No I am not waiting on any other offers of representation, and so that was why I was sort of tempted to accept straight away, as I know it is very unlikely that I will get another offer of representation!

thanks so much for your advice! xx
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I would write immediately to tell them you are delighted to hear they are interested and that you would like to arrange to meet them to discuss the offer of representation. You don't have to accept the offer until after you've met them.
AlexHL
GRAMMY Award

Post by AlexHL »

thank you pg, great advice :)
pjeffe1
Nominee

Post by pjeffe1 »

You might also expect a 30-day cancellation period which could be used to buy you some extra time, but do check the contract wording in this regard.....