First TVC - Questions!

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Littlepickle
Nominee

First TVC - Questions!

Post by Littlepickle »

My DC joined a large agency in November, had a first casting in January and managed to get the job for a TVC. The commercial was filmed 3 weeks ago. We were told (by another family on the shoot) that this was possibly an Easter campaign. I am wondering if there is an average length of time between filming and the ad being run on TV? Basically, we are all really excited about seeing the final edit and letting family/friends see it because we've not told any of them. The agency did no follow-up after the filming which seemed strange to me as I would have thought they would like to check how it had gone, being that it was the first job etc or maybe I am expecting too much? Also would the BSF fee be paid at the same time as the usage? I don't want to ask the agency as they aren't very approachable but also, I don't want to wait and then be told "oh you should have mentioned it sooner". Thanks in advance
admin
Site Admin

Re: First TVC - Questions!

Post by admin »

Hello Littlepickle. Congratulations. The first job is always exciting.

All jobs run on a different schedule. It can take months for a commercial to appear or it could take just a few weeks. There is no normal! You should get the fee in a single lump sum as you are not on residuals. Payment can also be quite protracted especially with some agencies. They do wait to make sure you are featured in the final cut before payment. If you have a copy of the call sheet you may well have contact numbers for both the agency and the production company and therefore once the commercial airs you could call them and ask for a copy.

I am more worried that you are reluctant to call your agency. Please don't name them publicly but they should be working for you and not the other way round and any decent agency would be happy to assist a newcomer to the business. If you want more information just send me a DM and I will try and help you.
Hope Never Dies....
Littlepickle
Nominee

Post by Littlepickle »

Thanks for your help - I only just remembered about this post! TVC still not aired :( We have been paid the BSF but obviously not buy out. Hopefully it will get shown at some point.
x_sugarplumfairy_x
GRAMMY Award

Post by x_sugarplumfairy_x »

Littlepickle wrote:Thanks for your help - I only just remembered about this post! TVC still not aired :( We have been paid the BSF but obviously not buy out. Hopefully it will get shown at some point.
yeah i wouldnt worry theres still time yet :) my daughters last one was filmed in the october and didnt air until january. Even though it's a lovely surprise sometimes it is useful telling other people so they can look out for it aswell as i know with my daughters tvc my friends and family saw it weeks before i was able to catch it on tv! lol i wouldnt have even know it was out if they hadnt spotted her and messaged me! xx
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

I'd echo admin's comment - having an agent is a two way process. They want you and you want them. Don't feel that you are annoying them by asking questions. Clearly you don't want them to view you as a pain, but equally, one of the balancing acts is keeping a name 'in their mind'.