Post 16 time off school/college

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post 16 time off school/college

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Does anyone know how things will work re permission for time off school or college now that education is compulsory up to year 13? Some of the colleges DS has looked at are fine with him taking time out to work, others (and these were performing arts colleges) said absolutely no. But is permission required? I'm not suggesting we'd just take him out even if they said no - those colleges are just no longer under consideration. I just wondered if anyone had come across this yet?
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: Post 16 time off school/college

Post by Dogcop »

DS is at Bird and so I don't even bother sending him for auditions anymore as I think they said that the students cannot work in their first and second year but are allowed to do panto in year 3. (Although we went to so many open days at the time that I could be getting muddled with others!!) I think it's more to do with the fact that they miss too much of their classes rather than education being compulsory. I just tell his agent that he is only available for one day voice work(which I think he is allowed to do)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Our 6th form you need to request it still,the same as if they were at school.The school is good at giving time off though for work/shows.
At the college that my son attends they would prefer a student doesn't miss days but no permission is required,this isn't a performing arts college though I would imagine a PA college wouldn't like it.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I think it is down to the individual college/school as to how they operate. Some schools allow it but put it down as "unauthorised absence" whilst others consider it an educational absence. I did ask once what an "unauthorised absence" actually meant (school said DS could have a particular day off but that it would have to go down as this) and was told that it would only be relevant when applying to university etc if you had had a lot of time off. For the odd day or so it would have no impact. I know Arts Ed didn't allow the school children to take time off to perform years ago but that may well have changed. The BA course don't allow it but they do get the occasional jobs whilst there through college such as panto etc. Tring do allow children to miss school due to performance and I think they are introducing an agency too but just for the younger children. Think the idea is to roll it out gradually. Redroofs and Italia Conti have their own agencies and allow children to perform. A lot of schools don't like the GCSE years to be disturbed though and I presume that is also true of A level years.
All new to me!