Speech for National Youth Theatre audition

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Middlesexmum
BRIT Award

Speech for National Youth Theatre audition

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd is auditioning for National Youth Theatre in a few weeks and still hasn't decided on a monologue. She is nearly 14 so this is her first time auditioning.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? It says it has to be from a published play. She's found an Anne Frank monologue online that could be a possibility but it's not really a play is it?

Thanks!
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: Speech for National Youth Theatre audition

Post by lotsolaffs »

What about a Shakespeare one? The Tempest, Ariel's monologue or Viola ' s from Twelfth Night?
My DD has done both at 14,if she was doing NYT I think she would do either of those,tricky age isn't it?
Middlesexmum
BRIT Award

Post by Middlesexmum »

Forgot to say dd doesn't want to do Shakespeare!
Griffer
GRAMMY Award

Post by Griffer »

If you can get site of the Lamda Acting Anthology - there are several in there at all levels. I have a copy.
bethjaneg
BRIT Award

Post by bethjaneg »

When I'm not being my children's taxi and running them around to castings, i work as a lamda/acting coach. In the last two years I've had three students get into NYT. All of them did modern dramatic monologues. Have a look at the Oberon acting anthologies edited by Catherine Wheate. There is also a great book of monologues published by methuen which are taken from national theatre connections plays. There are plenty which are age appropriate. Good luck!
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

Hi how is everyone getting on with this? My Dd went this weekend and despite nerves had a good experience. She found the other actors who were mostly older, welcoming and the 'casting' adults positive. No idea if she will get through to the summer courses but she is glad she went.
arianadrama
BRIT Award

Post by arianadrama »

HI Newgirl
My DS auditioned a couple of weeks ago and said it was a positive experience and his monologue went well but he did audition last year unsuccessfully. If he gets to the summer training he will still be in the younger cohort - so we have all our fingers crossed [-o< Such a long time to wait now but there are still quite a few audition dates in March left to run!
newgirl
GRAMMY Award

Post by newgirl »

Thanks arianadrama - I think they hear in May? That does seems ages especially as we want to book holiday :?