Auditions

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Flutterby1409
BRIT Award

Auditions

Post by Flutterby1409 »

Has anyone else felt like they have been sent to auditions by their agents when their child doesn't fit the brief and isn't really suitable for the role?

Just wondering what everyone's take is on it all. Spoke to other parents today who have also had disagreements with the same agent. Little or no auditions in a year and have been sent on ones that aren't really suitable.

Cheers
ACookie
GRAMMY Award

Re: Auditions

Post by ACookie »

Usually agents will submit but casting team will actually select who they want to see - well that's been our experience so far! So the casting directors must be finding something appropriate? However our agent is great and really only submits for things my daughter could realistically do, in terms of time, location, experience and role suitability so we can't complain!
Flutterby1409
BRIT Award

Post by Flutterby1409 »

Ah ok. It's just cos we were sent on an audition last week that wanted a flawless American accent, which my daughter isn't. Was also a role to play a 6/7yr old, to be played down by a 7-9yr old, but she's 4ft 7!
Also was asked to go for Matilda, when she's not any grade in dancing, never mind grade 4.
Then one yesterday when she was in and out in 2mins.

To say I'm fed up already is an understatement! Travelling for 2hrs when she has little or no chance and having rude agents is wearing me down very quickly!!

We are working parents with 3 other children as well.

Also seen on here that parents have seen their child's spotlight profile. None of the parents from our agency have and seem to think that their children just get picked from there, not submitted for things??

None of it seems to have been explained to us at all? I don't get it??
tracie
BRIT Award

Post by tracie »

I was very unhappy with the Agency we were with as they did the same thing, I am with an Agency now who are amazing, only send my son for the right parts suitable for him, look after him so well and in general a joy to be with. We were with 2 big agencys before and never again. I don't understand the children being sent for things which are not suitable and makes me wonder especially as that doesn't happen now. I had an experience with my son who got send for an audition and the director said he was far to old for it and I was fuming as I knew that. Makes you wonder
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

Hi
It is confusing at first and on average a child can be seen for 20 things before they get a job. The agents submit their clients for things every day and then only send you when they get picked to be seen by a casting agent. Getting picked to be seen is a big hurdle and means you have got through round one. Being short is a bonus. If your child does want to do this then you have to explain that every casting/audition is valuable experience. They should go in with that view of experience or fun - rather than expecting to get the job -that way they won't be disappointed. You only hear back if you are pencilled in ( ie on a short list) or are called to a further audition or have got the job. It is worth attending an audition workshop. Jo Hawes runs a good one- check out her website.

Re spotlight your agent should give you the link to your child's page

Good Luck- it is hard and there is a lot of juggling for parents but it is all worth while when they get a job.
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

We used to be with an agent like that a few years back. Quite often there would be no castings/auditions for months and when I would email to ask, magically 2 or 3 came about almost immediately - some of which my DD was not suitable for, either too old, too tall, wrong hair colour completely, etc. Didn't like the response we would get when I would email my dismay so we left and are now with a really good and lovely agent and couldn't be happier.
I find that the more kids on an agents books, the less likely of getting regular castings. Plus this particular agent would keep the casting fees and recall fees by saying they didn't get them, and that really annoys me.
swanny
GRAMMY Award

Post by swanny »

I didn't know there were any casting or recall fees? Tell me more? Who are you with now?
I'm swanning around trying to get the hang of all this! Thanks for your help!
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

swanny wrote:I didn't know there were any casting or recall fees? Tell me more? Who are you with now?
You don't get casting fees for everything, some commercials. I'll PM you
Flutterby1409
BRIT Award

Post by Flutterby1409 »

Well we're only with a small agency. But we'll see.
lawn
GRAMMY Award

Post by lawn »

The last audition my DD was sent to (over a year ago!) I felt she didn't fit the brief, which was to be menacing bully double act for a comedy tv film but I did think it would be an experience so went. Someone from the BBC was in attendance and when he saw DD who is small for her age, he said he thought it could work for the comedy value. She didn't book the job as they changed their minds about what they were doing re casting.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Firstly with spotlight contact them and ask for the pins you need to view and edit their profiles. Then you can see what's up. I don't know who your agent is and it does happen that mistakes get made. I will say however that I do remember going to a casting and reading the brief which said dark haired 6 year old boy and I had a 4yr old blonde boy. I phoned the agent who said stay you might as well. They were right. He got the part!

However if you don't feel musical roles are right just tell them and talk to them about the sort of roles you do want to be submitted for. If they aren't prepared to listen they are not the right agent for you. Finally in terms of volumes of auditions certain ages work more than others so for those commenting on the number of casting remember as puberty looms the auditions tail off. I'm not sure if its still the case but peak girls was between 4-10 and boys 4-12.

Really what I'm trying to say is agents work for you, if its not working and communication has broken down change agent.
Hope Never Dies....
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

Admin the trouble is some children's agents won't give out the PIN number which is annoying as a parent can update there child's Spotlight page quicker than agent, I think some agents are worried that parents will put things on Spotlight that should not be there like school productions which should not be put on Spotlight. If you can not talk to your child's agent then it might be time to move like admin says agents are working for your child not the other way round. It's hard and if you feel that your child is going to the wrong castings you have to be able to talk to agent.
Flutterby1409
BRIT Award

Post by Flutterby1409 »

Yeah, I've handed in notice now. Had emails telling people off for not attending auditions and new contract terms stating a higher percentage than previously and saying it's a month to month contract and a few other changes. I didn't realise the commitment involved anyway and it's just not plausible within our family.