wrong song !

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

wrong song !

Post by lotsolaffs »

What can I do about my DD being given a song that I know isn't right for her?
It is for a festival,the song she wants to sing is as long as he needs me,she got 96 for her musical theatre grade 6 exam recently with that song and,the suggested song I could have danced all night she can't stand and thinks it boring,she doesn't enjoy singing it.
I have discussed it with the teacher concerned, she won't budge ,I don't want to be difficult but now I know why, she has given it to someone else to sing,I am more upset than my daughter,I know the song doesn't belong to her but it just seems mean,any suggestions for a musical theatre song between 1950-1980.She is nearly 13,she wants to do Tell me on a Sunday. Mind you, she did say it's only for a silly festival, it doesn't matter.
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Re: wrong song !

Post by possiblypushy »

As long as you haven't missed the deadline, I'd say dig your heels in and change the song! This happened to me and DS a few years ago: I wish I hadn't caved and let the singing teacher change DS's song just because she'd 'promised' it to someone else's mother :?
The only problem would be if you have missed the deadline: once it's printed in the programme, your DD will have to perform that song. She could sing another song, but she wouldn't be adjudicated - that's how we do it at our festival anyway.
You mention "Tell Me On a Sunday" and "As Long As He Needs Me" - has her singing teacher allocated both of these to other students?
I hope you get something sorted out and your DD sings something that she loves.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Thank you ,I wasn't clear ,the singing teacher said she should do it,her drama teacher who has entered them for the festival won't let her do it,we have tried several times to persuade her,we also pay separately for singing lessons that in turn enhance the drama teachers chances of doing well a a festival,only the name goes in the programme,unfortunately the girl the song has gone too won't budge either,it will all end in tears,probably mine! How did your DS do in the end?
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

It sounds like you're in a real bind - just don't forget that it's your hard-earned money that pays for the lessons and the entrance fees, so you should have the final say. A large part of the drama/singing teacher's role is choosing the right pieces for their pupils, and they should listen to the child and be guided by what they say feels right for them.

About DS, he sang this dreadful song and the other boy sang "Where is Love" - neither of them did very well. I think it makes all the difference when the child feels a real 'connection' with the piece they do, whether that's at a big audition or a local festival. They won't love every song they sing, but if there is a genuine dislike, then I think it's best to go with something else - festivals are supposed to be fun!

(You do realise that I've been humming "Tell Me On a Sunday" all day :D)
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Haha,I was singing I could have danced all night,badly for about 3 days! Thanks again.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

You could always enter her independently. I always did. I would question what right a drama teacher rather than a singing teacher has to know what songs suit a student anyway.

Saying that I know there is a bit of a backlash at festivals about children singing songs that are too old for them & I wouldn't personally give As Long As He Needs Me to a 13 year old.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

How long have you got? Why not choose another song and learn it, you can always plan to use it for her Grade 7 musical theatre exam. Both of those are frequently done at festivals so you could go for something more unusual.
Is she a soprano? Or more of a mezzo/belter (appreciate it's early to determine, just wondering what she feels comfortable with)
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

TRICKY! I guess it comes down to two things. Your professional advice is to do X. Your parental opinion is to do Y. One choice may bring success and the other failure.

What is clear is that you need to discuss this with the teacher concerned to find out the reason. This may not be something they can discuss with the child. Maybe they know the song is one on a private hit list the examiner has? I remember somebody a few years ago who wanted to sing a certain song for a competition, and the adjudicator who would be assessing the performance really hated the song - so the organiser counselled everyone away from singing it. Could something like this be happening?

If you are paying for the service, then you at least deserve to know why choices are made, but if you trust these people to bring out the best in a person, then their choice may well be correct. Liking a song doesn't ever guarantee a good reception, does it?

If you watch programmes like The Voice, you frequently see people attempt songs really unsuitable for them - which just proves that sometimes, audience opinions get manipulated for the wrong reasons. Any real singing teacher would say NOOOOOO! Everyone would then do the same stuff, which makes for bad TV.

Just to make it worse, advice can be different to different students - the teacher allocating songs deliberately to favour certain students. Much less common, of course, but it does happen. Talking it over has to be best.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Post by lotsolaffs »

Islandofsodor, yes I may well do that next time,she hasn't done a MT entry before so there is plenty of time ahead to do so,I did wonder about the choice myself for her exam but left it to them.

Totallyclueless it is at the end of April,she also has to learn Ariel ' s "Hail" monologue from The Tempest,an Atigone and Ismene duologue, One from Chorus Line for a choral entry and some other song,so,a lot to fit in plus finishing of GCSE performing arts coursework.

Paulears yes,good advice and I have tried but some grown ups can't speak very nicely to others.It was one of those conversations when later on you think I wish I had said this or that,two others are singing it now from the same drama club,neither have learnt it before.
I would back off and do another song,my DD is determined to do it which at least means I suppose I can't get the blame for choosing the wrong song!

Thank you all