speech for NYT

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

the mumster
BRIT Award

speech for NYT

Post by the mumster »

My DD has an audition with NYT this weekend and we've just noticed she needs to prepare a 2 minute speech from a published play (bit slow on the uptake us!). Can anyone make a suggestion for a 15 year old girl? We've racked our brains and haven't come up with anything remotely age appropriate! Many thanks in advance
Its the posh, posh travelling life, the travelling life for me ......
Fillyjonk
Nominee

Re: speech for NYT

Post by Fillyjonk »

Just the one play? Any period?

What do you mean by appropriate?

When I did NYT many years back it was a Shakespeare and a contemporary for the audition. I did Louise's final speech from Road by Jim Cartwright. My friend did a speech from Miss Julie.

For my Shakespeare I did Imogen's speech from Cymbeline 'Yes,sir, to Milford Haven...' It's quite a demanding speech both physically and emotionally as she wakes up beside the headless body of a man.

Many of the National Theatre Connections plays for young people will have good material; there are loads of great plays by quality writers that don't patronise young performers.

Definitely ask the drama teacher. S/he will have loads of ideas and may also have a book or two of audition pieces for your daughter to pick from. Try to get her go for something that allows her to show a range of skills - vocally, physically, emotionally etc.