Stagebox Leeds

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Stagebox Leeds

Post by Bbzoom »

Hello, first post on here - hope I am doing it right!

I have a DD who is just 7. She has attended a local dance school since she was 3, is doing very well and we are more than happy with everything. However, she really wants to do some musical theatre. I have seen stagebox elite team videos online and know that she would love it. In my opinion, there is nothing comparable locally that she could do in school holidays only - I feel she already has enough to do during the week. Does anyone have any experience of Stagebox? How stiff is the competition? She is a very good dancer for her age, but has not yet had a chance to do much acting or singing. We are about an hour from Leeds anyway, so also have to consider that as well as the cost. Do you think she is too young? Would be grateful to anyone with advice for us. Thanks in advance!
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Stagebox Leeds

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

I'm from Yorkshire and know the people who run this and have friends and pupils (I teach drama) who have taken part in the workshops, my DDs are sadly too old.
They are extremely well run and all the kids seem to have loads of fun, it is not scary or intimidating. The standard is high but not all the successful children are highly trained before auditioning. Why don't you let your DD try, or have at go at one of the summer courses (I think those are at a lower level than the Elite team though) or drop them an e-mail, they are very approachable. Did you see them on TV on Saturday?
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, we did see them on TV on Saturday. My DD was watching and called me in. It was a coincidence though as she did not know who they were or that I had been looking at it for her. I haven't mentioned it yet.
It is good to hear that it is well run. I think maybe I will let her have a go if / when auditions come up. I do wonder though if she is too young yet and might be a bit overwhelmed. She has never auditioned for anything before - never had a chance to yet! Still, you have to start somewhere. If anyone knows anything at all about what the audition might entail I would love to hear about it. Thank you again for replying!
jenniecalum
Nominee

Post by jenniecalum »

Hi there - my 10 yr old joined the Elite Team and is the reverse of yours - absolutely no formal dance training but seems to sing quite well to an audience (you wouldn't think it when she sings pop around the house). She is going next week to the Elite Team workshop and cannot wait. I think they look for different elements in each child - of course there are the triple threats but they don't restrict themselves to that - the aim of the Elite Team is to nurture each child and bring them on in all three elements. They are lovely teachers/directors - so friendly and helpful. I would say give it a shot if you haven't already!
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

Thank you for your reply. How exciting for your DD! When did she audition? Can I ask you what she had to do and how many children there were there in relation to those who joined? I have emailed through them through the website, but haven't had a reply yet. Do you think I should phone? I am very conscious of her lack of experience so would like to know as much as possible beforehand. Very grateful for you experiences.
Bbzoom
BRIT Award

Post by Bbzoom »

Thanks, Jomist. That is good advice. I do want to know as much as possible beforehand though so I know what she is getting in to ( or not, as he case may be!) am thinking of it more from the point of view of her getting so much out of it, rather than it leading to other auditions for now. You are right that she can always try again when she is older - I shall try to stop feeling nervous on her behalf before we have even started!
Yorkshirepudding
GRAMMY Award

Post by Yorkshirepudding »

Did anyone else go to the audition workshop on Saturday? DS went and had a great time. :D
Fizz
Nominee

Post by Fizz »

Yorkshirepudding wrote:Did anyone else go to the audition workshop on Saturday? DS went and had a great time. :D
My daughter auditioned for the Manchester team and although wasn't accepted for the elite team, was accepted for the training team (weekly classes in Harrogate) plus a meeting re management . Sadly, we're too far away for weekly classes but it was a great experience and good to check it out and I now have a lot of faith in them and think we'll try again in the future.