School

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

barmby1234
BRIT Award

School

Post by barmby1234 »

Hi. My son is just about to start High School and has just recently been accepted into an agency. I am concerned that if he does get some castings and auditions...And is successful, then wont his school mind and will he not miss out on his schooling if he is away a lot. I suppose I also worry about not being at school with his friends and missing what is so important at school.
lotsolaffs
BAFTA Award

Re: School

Post by lotsolaffs »

I worried about that too...sadly it doesn't happen as often as you think. Schools are usually fine with it if you keep communication open with them.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

An agent will expect you to have cleared the idea of absences for castings and roles with the school - at least in theory. Some schools are much less open to the idea than others.

Castings are often at relatively short notice - but CDs do schedule auditions out of school hours when they can. Are you within easy reach of central London?

Any jobs of course may well require leave of absence from school.
snookienoo
BRIT Award

Post by snookienoo »

We always keep our school up to date with any possible jobs. They are usually ok about agreeing time off. They wont allow time off for castings so we ask that we get late casting times, however this isn't always possible.
One of my children's schools doesn't like the idea of acting / modelling work and have refused time off. So I guess it depends on the school.
I was under the impression that it was now down to the local authority to agree time off and not the school, but when we went to get a licence recently they wanted school permission. So I guess good communication with your school is a must (and a great supportive school is also useful!) :)
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Post by CatKat_0 »

I think it really depends on the school. I have friends whose kids are always out of school with no problems, but we had a letter home from the attendance officer even when my daughter was on licence to perform. I think you should be honest with the school and also speak to the agency about what you will and won't let him out of school for. For example, you could say that you don't want him sent for commercials? Or no musical theatre tours etc?

I'd recommend going and speaking to his head of drama and perhaps the head teacher to discuss expectations.
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

DS's school were supportive up to the end of Year 9, but have told us that they won't give permission for anything other than the odd day from Year 10. He did fall behind during his year in Billy Elliot, even though they're schooled there - but that relied on him to know what what work he was meant to be doing, which was too much of an ask when he was hardly there - and it was also extremely socially disruptive, especially as they tend not to be allowed on any social media when they're in a West End show. However, once he was back at school full time, he's had no trouble catching up academically (except with a couple of subjects where he decided not to put in the effort as he was always going to drop them at the first opportunity anyway) and has also made new friends as well as reconnecting with old ones. He's said that he doesn't regret two very patchy years in Years 7 and 8 but wouldn't want to do another long theatre run while he's at school.
Irishdancer
OSCAR Award

Post by Irishdancer »

When my children where changing schools I asked the school if they would Suport them 24 year old ds changed schools at 8 because his school would not Suport him cryed the first week turned out a better school they where very supportive so when they moved up schools asked the question so they would be at the right school for them if they wanted to take time for acting. I know every one wants there child to go to the best school so don't want to bring the acting thing up when they talk to head and teachers of the school so wait till the child gets in then worried about it. Would it not be better to make sure that the school will Suport your child's acting then go to a school that will not give permission.
Fruitcake
GRAMMY Award

Post by Fruitcake »

When we were looking at secondary schools for DS, we asked about their policies surrounding time off for auditions etc and factored their reactions in when we finally chose a school.

The one we chose proved to be extremely supportive and we never had any problem getting time off, even at very short notice.

I think it would be a good idea for you to have a conversation with the school now and establish where they stand on things. Even if this doesn't sway your decision, at least you will know the score ahead of time.

Good luck - choosing a school is never an easy task.
Don't count your chickens until the contract's in your hand!