Do LAMDA exams help get you into drama school?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Do LAMDA exams help get you into drama school?

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Hi all, your thoughts would be much appreciated here. It was suggested to us last night (by DS's agent in fact) that DD (age 17 and taking A level theatre) should start taking LAMDA exams to help her get into drama school next year. This isn't something I've heard suggested or discussed before so before investing our scare time & money in this I thought I seek the wisdom of this board. We had approached DS's agent with a view to her possibly representing DS but she didn't seem keen - the LAMDA suggestion may have been a distraction.

She's doing all the stuff I have heard recommended - joined local am dram, seeing as much theatre as possible, working in a theatre for work experience. She's working on grade 5 ballet and having singing lessons (though she's interested in straight theatre rather than MT) so time and money are limited. Any thoughts welcome, thanks :)
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Re: Do LAMDA exams help get you into drama school?

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

I don't think having the exams makes any difference at all- and I say that as a LAMDA teacher!

However, the process of choosing monologues that suit you ( as happens particularly in the medal grades in LAMDA) learning them, understanding them, getting under the skin of the character and researching the plays, as well as practicing the interview process can help. You can of course do this with or without LAMDA exams.

It really depends on the teacher, to be honest. Particularly in the lower exams there has been a tendency to reward 'showy' acting, lots of movement, accents, overblown emotion, which definitely won't help with drama schools, however I have noticed recently that at grade 6/7/8 in particular, more subtle, nuanced performances are being marked highly and a real understanding of the character is required for top marks.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Thanks totallyclueless! My DD's head of theatre at college runs extra curricular classes next year for those hoping to do to drama school. Helps with monologues etc so I think that might fit the bill.

As you teach LAMDA can ask you - as an A level student DD would not want to be running around pretending to be a fairy (or whatever the LAMDA equivalent of Primary ballet is :D ) Can you go in at the higher grades? TBH the grade 8 looks a lot like her A level syllabus.
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

You can go in at a higher level, Grade 8, might be a bit full-on, 6 or 7 easier -but definitely doable for a talented. motivated individual.
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

I don't think they will be any use getting into drama school, and would only do them for enjoyment purposes. Did the agent explain how exactly they would help?
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Thanks Totallyclueless (which incidentally, you are quite obviously not!!)

Not really Welshmum - just said that was what drama schools were looking for. It was a bit of a rushed conversation TBH. As I say, I think it was her way of getting off the topic of them representing DD. I can understand their reluctance, after all she's 18 in 5 months so it would be a short association but I do wish people would just be honest! I know they're trying to be sensitive and diplomatic but it doesn't help when you're trying to get a realistic picture of abilities or ambitions.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Drama schools do NOT look for people who have done LAMDA exams.

That doesn't mean the work one might do in preparation for the exams wouldn't be enjoyable or useful (I agree it depends on the teacher!) - but the exams themselves won't make any difference to one's chances of getting in.
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

I have wondered this before as well but as it happens I was look on my DD's school website this morning and found a link to UCAS. I was looking under the Conservatoire tab and parents tab and then I noticed they had links for qualifications for UCAS points. So I looked and I didn't realise there were so many qualifications to use for UCAS points and if you scroll through the very long list you will see that things like ballet (Grade 6 - 8) and Music exams (Grade 6 - 8) and I think there were Speech exams and possibly Lamda exams listed so I suppose it is possible that they were thinking that Lamda exams would increase your DC's overall points score.

But it's my understanding that to get into some of the drama schools, the audition takes priority over the UCAS score and grades they have in A Levels or BTECs. But obviously it is better if they do get their grades in the A Levels or whatever school / colleage exams they are studying. Anxiously biting my nails as DD is doing AS at the moment.

Does anyone know if the fact that a DC has been accepted at places like Junior Guildhall or one of the Junior drama activities like Globe Young Players can be included in applications for Drama School? They don't get into these junior courses unless they are successful at audition so does that count for something?
Livy2
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livy2 »

Sorry in my previous post the smily faces are supposed to be Grade eight ! :lol:
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

I think all of those things go on the personal statement/on the form for non UCAS drama schools.