Spots/acne

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

littleelphaba
Nominee

Spots/acne

Post by littleelphaba »

My dd is 13 and has just started breaking out with spots and as she does modelling and has auditions soon we want to get rid of the spots ASAP. She has started using a tee tree face wash and that's been working a little bit so I was wondering if any NAPMs have any reccomedations for any products??
Dogcop
BAFTA Award

Re: Spots/acne

Post by Dogcop »

We took Ds to GP as they can give medication and cream
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

It a big problem for my DS and he has lost jobs because of his skin now.
The Gp can prescribe according to age, its usually long-term antibiotics and a gel, I really feel for her, it's so difficult !!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
jennifer1972
GRAMMY Award

Post by jennifer1972 »

If it is just spots and not acné, my dd uses Superdrug tea tree range and we have found it gives much better results than the more expensive clearasil and garnier products. Also steaming once a week helps loads. Obviously it's one of those things that has to run its course but every little helps!!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Drinking loads of water and eating well will help too, though they can't counteract raging hormones entirely.
Wickednellie
BRIT Award

Post by Wickednellie »

Try a cream called quinoderm x It takes a few days to kick in but its really good, be careful though as its quite strong x
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

I had acne for much of my life, despite being a doctor I just put up with it. At 40 I realised I wasn't going to grow out of it and went on Roaccutane and it transformed my life, I wish I'd taken it at twenty.
It's a strong medication with side effects and not for everyone but I would encourage anyone with skin problems to see the GP. each treatment needs to be tried for 4-6 weeks (diligently) at least before returning to try something else. I was really proactive with my DDs ( had to try a few docs in our practice to find one that understood and cared, lots just dismiss it as part of growing up) and we've managed to get their skin totally under control, at last!
Each treatment worked well for a while:
Topical antibiotics (Zineryt)
Benzoyl Peroxide (like Quinoderm)
Retin A
Oral antibiotics
The pill (for girls): Dianette or Yasmin
Eventually referral to a dermatologist and Roaccutane.

Please excuse all the info, Having suffered and been miserable about my skin I am evangelical about treating acne (and spots which is the same in medical terms) there are treatments to beat it so our kids don't have to put up with it.
Right, rant over!!!
bruno2
OSCAR Award

Post by bruno2 »

TEA TREE OINTMENT WORKS WELL (NOT OIL) ! :D
daisyjane
GRAMMY Award

Post by daisyjane »

My dd and ds have found that a generous splodge of sudocrem last thing at night has blitzed the majority of their problems. My older dd (now 17) has extremely sensitive skin and couldn't tolerate some of the other commercial products so in a moment of "well, if it's ok for babies then it must be ok for older kids" kind of thinking, I dug out the mahoosive tub of sudocrem that had been festering at the back of the cupboard and - bazinga! Much later I heard a celeb (think it was Cheryl Cole) talking on the radio saying her beauty tip was sudocrem - so now you know her secret!
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

daisyjane wrote:My dd and ds have found that a generous splodge of sudocrem last thing at night has blitzed the majority of their problems. My older dd (now 17) has extremely sensitive skin and couldn't tolerate some of the other commercial products so in a moment of "well, if it's ok for babies then it must be ok for older kids" kind of thinking, I dug out the mahoosive tub of sudocrem that had been festering at the back of the cupboard and - bazinga! Much later I heard a celeb (think it was Cheryl Cole) talking on the radio saying her beauty tip was sudocrem - so now you know her secret!
I agree totally with that.
Just to say ( this from the rep who sells it )
Always rub it in , if you see a white covering , you are not applying it correctly and need to rub it in .

Sudocreme is like Vaseline , essential in the beauty box ! =D>
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Hecouldshine
OSCAR Award

Post by Hecouldshine »

Most GPs start by prescribing benzoyl peroxide, starting with 2.5% then when the skin tolerates it after a few weeks (it dries it and reddens it slightly as well), move the concentration to 5% then on to 10%. There is a supply problem with the various brands, off and on. Quinaderm is usually the cheapest, (you can buy it over the counter at the pharmacy rather than getting a prescription) but panoxyl aquagel (if you can find it) is the nicest to use, according to my dcs.

A GP will usually review a dc's skin after 3 months of trying benzoyl peroxide before considering moving onto something stronger, or referring to a dermatologist, unless your dc already has scarring from the acne.

Hope you get it sorted [-o<
He could go and he could shine, not just stay here counting time,
Son, we've got the chance to let him live

from Billy Elliot the Musical
Rhymie
BRIT Award

Post by Rhymie »

My DD was 15 when the spots appeared, on her face mostly forehead and chin and very badly on her back and even a bit on her chest. It affected her confidence and the Dr prescribed lotion and antibiotics, this worked well for 3 months and then they all came back as her body adjusted. No topical treatments worked at all from the chemist by the way. My husband refused to accept that in this day and age his DD had to have spots because she was a teenager and demanded she see a consultant. The consultant finally prescribed Roaccutane (which we paid for privately, but which is available on the NHS you just have to be determined and tell them that the confidence problem is affecting them) the treatment is a 6 month course and she needed to make sure she always wore sun cream to prevent burning so we opted to start the treatment in September. By month 4 every single spot and blemish had disappeared, even the bad ones on her back. After 6 months she was still clear and came off the medication. She is now 16 and has perfect, totally spot free skin. The consultant has said that in some cases acne can come back in the early 20's and then another course may be needed but it is unlikely.

Roaccutane has had some bad press regarding kids being depressed and suicidal but the consultant told us that in his 25 years experience depressed kids were depressed before the Roaccutane and because it took 4 - 5 months to work got more depressed but, that he had prescribed this treatment successfully hundreds of times with life transforming results. So I would advise anyone with teenagers with spots to fight back hard and get it treated early so that it doesn't scar the skin Some people are lucky and the antibiotics do work, but for most its a temporary solution until the body gets used to them. The only side effects my DD suffered from the Roaccutane was very dry lips that cost me a fortune in Lip balm!
Livvyvicky
GRAMMY Award

Post by Livvyvicky »

Have just read through this and it's very helpful thank you - dd struggling a bit too.

Admin what the name of the over the counter cream you told me about last week ??

Good luck everyone :D