Singing exam soon, how to stop a cold getting a grip?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Singing exam soon, how to stop a cold getting a grip?

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

DD has her grade 8 singing exam in 12 days. She has just started (of course) snuffling and has a history of hideous, endless colds developing into laryngitis. They happen once, sometimes twice a year, usually just after school exams so have affected singing exams before.

She really wants to do this one now, so it can go on her personal statement but some of the songs need ridiculous breath control so she has to be on top form.

So...how can she get rid/prevent the cold and keep her voice healthy?
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Re: Singing exam soon, how to stop a cold getting a grip?

Post by mouskouri41 »

Apparently,and this is on the NHS choices page,zinc may shorten the life of a cold.I would try zinc lozenges/and or tablets(check the dosage)coupled with a high strength time release vitamin C.I have never tried First Defence,maybe you already have,but isn't it supposed to stop a cold in its tracks if used at the first signs?Does the cold go to her chest and affect her breathing or develop into viral induced wheeze?maybe see the doctor for an inhaler if you haven't already.I always find Nurofen is good for just generally feeling better(seems to work wonders with my 2 and most other kids I know-must be the caffeine :lol: )not sure if the effect is so dramatic with older children though.
Hopefully it won't develop into a really bad sore throat,but I do know that some singers and speakers swear by Thayers slippery elm lozenges which acts as a demulcent.
Good luck x
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Thanks so much for that, am off for zinc and slippery elm now, I have vit c and have just read some research and apparently pergalonium helps too.
Fingers crossed
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Steam. I hope she's OK.
oscar
GRAMMY Award

Re: Singing exam soon, how to stop a cold getting a grip?l

Post by oscar »

Ds was given tips by a vocal coach once and he finds them helpful. A teaspoon of Manuka honey daily regardless whether u Hv a cold or not. Honey and lemon to drink and green tea meant to be great but he can't quite stomach that one. For a sore throat dont use Sprays or numbing medication as damage could be done by over straining. Try and find vocal zone lozenges. These are great and especially designed for singers.
Barton285
BRIT Award

Post by Barton285 »

If you have a juicer, 1 apple and a little bit of ginger is great for when you know a cold is on its way. It also helps prevent them if you have one (called a ginger shot regularly on a morning)

I always remember my daughters friend many years ago calling for her for school and she was snuffling away. Her friend was shocked that she was actually going in but my daughter who must have been about 9 said she felt fine. I always said that all the rubbish had to come out but you don't usually feel as bad as you would normally with a cold. She then went on to tell the teacher all about it!

Hope your daughter gets through it ok. If she loses her voice altogether (hopefully she will not) but give me a shout as I've another recipe for that! - (I'm a juice therapist)

Kathy
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Steam, steam and more steam. Teaspoon of manuka honey (must be this one) in hot water and lemon a few time s aday. Then steam again (if you dont have one you can pick up one quite cheaply in Argos etc). Boots also sell manuka lozenges which are soothing and dont do a singers throat any harm
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
lyndahill
BAFTA Award

Post by lyndahill »

I've taken Zinc supplements for years and haven't had a cold in at least 3 years.
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

Echinacea supplements seem to work for DS by shortening the time the cold hangs around...
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Thanks so much all, have spent a blooming' fortune in the health food shop...manuka honey <tick> zinc lozenges <tick> steam <tick> echinacea <tick>
Also have vocal zones on standby.
Off to make sure she gets an early night :D
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I find First Defence very effective.

Hope it all goes OK.

Deb x
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Hey Totallyclueless,been thinking about your dd-did you manage to thwart any nasties?
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Thanks for asking...
I was chuntering to DD about how unfair to was that she got a cold EVERY year at exactly the same time, singing exam time and I had an epiphany...hayfever! ](*,) ](*,) Very mild, no itching/sneezing just enough to block her nose so that she mouth breathes at night and dries out her throat. I think if she wasn't a singer she wouldn't even notice!
We started flixonase and antihistamines as well as steaming and she was back to full voice in three days \:D/
So she sang well and we're awaiting the results - sadly no amount of anti-allergy medication can cure sight-singing problems but hey ho she got through it :D :D

Feel a bit stupid that we hadn't realised before!
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Glad you managed to diagnose-as long as the exam went ok that's the main thing!Tell me sight reading gets easier as they get older??!! :lol:
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Sorry I can't say that *mouskouri41* still a total nightmare for both of my DDs. But hopefully DD1 is through with it (definitely no classical diplomas planned) and 2 more exams for DD2 < counting down the days>
I remember fondly DD2's Grade 3 where she was given a song she'd sung at a festival :lol: :lol: