singing exam forgot her minors... fail?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

quietattheback
GRAMMY Award

singing exam forgot her minors... fail?

Post by quietattheback »

My 9 year old had her grade 3 singing exam but completely forgot her 'minors' everything else she said she was confident with, she was honest with the examiner at the very start... is this a foregone conclusion...? :cry:
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Re: singing exam forgot her minors... fail?

Post by mouskouri41 »

I don't recognise this as part of LCM or ABRSM exam structure-is it Trinity?I'm sure that someone on here may along shortly to help,but I do know that ABRSM has a forum with a voice section,so possibly Trinity has too-maybe try there?Good luck-hope it's good news.
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Age 9 is incredibly young for Grade 3.

However I too don't know what minors mean.

Trinity do vocalises as part of heir exam, is it one of these? Vaccai us one of the options. Or Rockschool have exercises.

If do then for Trinity it's worth 14 marks & you'd have to forget all the exceed used to get no marks for it.
quietattheback
GRAMMY Award

Post by quietattheback »

Hi, thanks for the replies. It is indeed rock school.. I copied the following from their page

Rockschool Grade Exams for vocals follow a set running order, which is as follows:
Technical exercises
General musicianship questions
Ear tests
3 performance pieces
Unaccompanied piece
General musicianship question

So it will be one of the technical pieces. She absolutly new it but on the day it just went out of her head, such a shame.
I managed to answer my own question though. When i went back to the site for the above I found something i had missed when seaching yesterday which is the following...

The grade awarded to each candidate will depend in practice upon the extent to which the candidate has met the assessment criteria for each section within the qualification. It is possible for a candidate to achieve a pass grading even if one element within the exam remains un-attempted. However, such instances will be relatively rare.

I thouht i would post it should anyone else wonder the same in the future.
I didnt realise 9 was young for grade 3. She was initially assessed by a singing teacher who does abrsm who said she is grade 3 level but the school didnt do exams (?) so we went to a local school who also assessed her at grade 3 but they do rockschool... I at that point didnt know there was a difference.
Thanks again for the replies.. Sorry for rambling :)
TomS
GRAMMY Award

Post by TomS »

Last edited by TomS on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer a registered user
quietattheback
GRAMMY Award

Post by quietattheback »

Just asked DD and she said she was the youngest by far... But they could be doing different grades on the same day? Her singing teacher says she is very advanced vocally.
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Age 9 is incredibly young for grade 3
I think this obviously depends on the child,but also on the examining board.
In ABRSM the are required to learn 3 songs and 1 unaccompanied folk song
There is also a sight reading element and an aural test

I believe that LCM are required to sing 3 songs(musical theatre syllabus) and discuss their choices
Sight reading is not assessed at this level
islandofsodor
OSCAR Award

Post by islandofsodor »

Dd is 12 & in year 7 at vocational school. She's about to do Grade 3 ABRSM & Grade 4 LCM
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Yes *Islandofsodor* mine were about the same, it means that if you take an exam a year you're finished by the time you're filling your UCAS form :). I think for many children the songs are easy, it's the technical exercises that are the big challenge ( especially the sight singing) and not panicking in the stress of an exam.
The good news for your DD OP is that she obviously sings really well and whatever this result, she's ahead of where she should be, so she should feel good about that, fingers crossed for her, I'd have hoped that if everything else went well they would be kind to her.
quietattheback
GRAMMY Award

Post by quietattheback »

I am hoping so, more for her confidence really. She said she felt fine with everything else so i am also keeping my fingers crossed. I will post either way when the results come through.. Thanks everyone.
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Post by francescasmum »

My dd was 9 (almost 10) when she did her grade 5 with LCM and is now 11 and about to do her grade 6. The hardest thing we have found is finding an appropriate pre 1920s song, music hall songs are quite saucy! I don't know if she needed to know minors etc but does piano too so gets a lot of theory between the two disciplines and I get muddles which goes with which being the most unmusical person I know. I really just leave her to it, just making sure she practises.
quietattheback
GRAMMY Award

Post by quietattheback »

Just an update, the results are back.... she passed with merit 85% distinction is 90% so not too shabby despite the hiccup... Thanks everyone who posted \:D/
TotallycluelessMum
GRAMMY Award

Post by TotallycluelessMum »

Excellent news =D> =D> =D>
Very well done to her!
sophiesocks
OSCAR Award

Post by sophiesocks »

Brilliant news \:D/
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

That's great! Congrats to your DD =D> =D> =D>