Student Film & Licence question

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Student Film & Licence question

Post by gingerbam »

Hi there, my dd may have got a role in a student film, just waiting for confirmation, I found this without the agent and as it is local I am keen for her to do the role as it will be good experience imo. Does this mean I have to apply for the licence as it a a student project ? Just want to be a step ahead if it the case.
Thanks
Bx
francescasmum
OSCAR Award

Re: Student Film & Licence question

Post by francescasmum »

Unfortunately this is a question that only your LEA can answer, whilst the official line is yes, because the project is being recorded some councils do not require applications for student films if it is done outside school hours! We have to apply for any/every film.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

:D Thanks for the reply, just waiting for confirmation of part now :lol:
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I would assume that a license will be needed. The student who is producing the film should make the application but, in my experience, they appreciate help with this because its all new to them.

Good luck - hope your DC enjoys the shoot.

Deb x
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

My LEA says licence not needed if outside school hours and not payed job.
Last edited by begolina on Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panda
GRAMMY Award

Post by Panda »

Depends if your child has worked in the last 6 months as well??
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

This is the problem - different LEA's interpret the rules differently. Worth contacting your own LEA to find out what interpretation they use :roll:
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

They key question is simply "Is it work?". No money, no contract, no waivers, disclaimers or probably insurance. Student films can be good, and well managed, but most are rubbish in almost every way - hopeless acting, very non-professional production skills and direction, potentially risky processes, no responsibility - yet perceived by the participants as 'nearly professional standard'. In essence, it's just a few friends and a video camera, so nothing really that an LEA could really license.

Probably interesting to do, and certainly an experience. The cynic in me just remembers the dozens of these I've suffered. I have seen one good one, but far more that collapsed before completion.
gingerbam
GRAMMY Award

Post by gingerbam »

and it amounted to nothing. No script sent through, no communication. I guess that is the way of the world. Rude I think. They could have sent an email saying no thanks after all. We have now adopted a policy of not saying anything at all to her unless we eve get something concrete. Still waiting for that first paid job! =P~
paulears
BAFTA Award

Post by paulears »

Sadly, student (and of course there are exceptions) projects usually are over enthusiastic, and as part of the process, they discover how tricky it is to make a movie - even a low budget one. University projects have a higher success rate the college ones, mainly, I think because they are older. 16-18 projects are often scrapped during production, and some uni ones go the same route. For every Spielberg there are plenty of projects that would do 'The Producers' proud.

They will also collectively not have any proper chain of responsibility, so saying sorry for messing you around won't even be in their heads.

It's pretty typical to be honest. Your idea of not mentioning it until it firms up is a sensible one to avoid disappointment.

Mind you - it's not just student projects that do this. I'm frequently contacted by people with big ideas and little knowledge asking for help - and it usually goes quiet as soon as the first invoice is received. Getting a contract is often impossible, and I now smell most out - and ask for a downpayment for expenses (travel and food) and this is often enough to sever the contact.

One had Stephen Fry as the lead, interesting locations and a good cause - just pie in the sky, and I doubt it got any further than somebody asking his agent if he'd be interested.
lostouthere
BRIT Award

Post by lostouthere »

Just a quick note for balance really :D . Some student projects seem genuinely worthwhile to me, especially if you are looking to get some early experience. It does depend on so many things, but if you are dealing with students from a reputable university or perhaps film school, and if it is part of their degree, then it is much less likely to fold - they've a big incentive to make something good. We have had positive experiences of student films where there was a clear set of responsibilities among the students and the comfort that a good university department had supplied guidance. So certainly caution looks like it is needed, but there is such a thing as a valuable student film I think. Maybe we've been lucky, but on the other hand there are probably some signs to look out for too! eg, a good, and achievable script which you can see from the start and judge for yourself, as well as a good set up/ reliable institution. And it's true, ours have been university not college projects. I'll definitely be all the more cautious after reading Paulears' post though!
frisbee
GRAMMY Award

Post by frisbee »

The one that fell by the wayside for you sounds like a lucky escape. But don't discount all, would be my advice.