Clashing offers?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Clashing offers?

Post by JTBmum »

Hi, weirdly after a very long period of nothing ds got offered a smallish voice-over type project. He is due to start this week and it is a 4 day shoot. Then suddenly he got a much bigger offer over the weekend which also shoots next week but abroad. Agent is going to speak to voice over agent tomorrow. Am wondering what happens in this type of situation? How can they resolve it as obviously he would like to do the bigger job?
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Re: Clashing offers?

Post by CatKat_0 »

No idea. I'm sure they will resolve it between them. I'd go for the bigger job too :) nice situation to be in for once?
fartoomuchtodo
GRAMMY Award

Post by fartoomuchtodo »

Happened to us once or twice. Leave it to your agent - they're used to it and it's obviously in their interests to get the bigger job for your DS. In my experience VO peeps are quite flexible. Good luck x
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

Absolutely up to the agent to see what can be arranged.

If a contract has been signed for the V.O. job then there might not be much that can be done. They will, quite rightly, expect the artist to honour the contract. If the contract has not been signed there should be more leeway.

Of course I don't know all the cirucmstances, but really, if the agent submitted for both jobs, then they should have chased up the decision on the bigger job before agreeing to the V.O. one I would have thought. Have the dates changed for either job? If so then the conflict is more understandable? An agent should really be on top of that kind of thing.

Edit: Ah, I see now - two different agents? Does your son ask your agents to keep each other informed of submissions? Does he get information about what he has been submitted for so that he can spot potential clashes? I sympathise - it must be tricky. It's a clear example of how problems can arise from having more than one agent.

I hope it can be sorted out to your ds's satisfaction.
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Well it turned out really badly. DS was committed to the first and had his offer withdrawn on the big one. He has been close to a couple of things recently but took a year off for A levels and hasn't had anything in the last year. It really was something that could have been a big career break. It is VERY hard to see that fly out of the window, and I think it will test his resolve to continue. Not healthy to think about what could have been, but it is hard sometimes to just move on.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Gosh, that must feel awful, I am really sorry to hear that, JTB mum. :(
sapphire
OSCAR Award

Post by sapphire »

Sorry it wasn't the outcome you were hoping for :(
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

ah no !!
gutting :(
I know people say - "something else will come along" - and sometimes it does, but many times it doesn't in this game!

absolutely feel for you and him!
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
mich707
GRAMMY Award

Post by mich707 »

JTBmum wrote:Well it turned out really badly. DS was committed to the first and had his offer withdrawn on the big one. He has been close to a couple of things recently but took a year off for A levels and hasn't had anything in the last year. It really was something that could have been a big career break. It is VERY hard to see that fly out of the window, and I think it will test his resolve to continue. Not healthy to think about what could have been, but it is hard sometimes to just move on.
oh no..how gutting!!! That is the problem when having more than 1 agent...IF both job offers had been thru the same agent..then your agent could have sorted it...but it was in "no interest" to your VO agent to upset their client!! :?
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

If it is a life changing role we talk about, couldn't you just say goodbye to the VO agent, I am sure that the company has plenty of substitutes and you don't let anyone down.
Last edited by begolina on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomS
GRAMMY Award

Post by TomS »

Last edited by TomS on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No longer a registered user
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

I always stick to my word (and I did loose few trains) but I tend to be more flexible with other people situations. If your child is been working hard for years, done always everything correctly, has a very strong working ethos, etc. you might get to the conclusion that it might happen one occasion that sticking to your word is not in the best interest for your child but in someone else.

What I was saying is that If the VO agent didn't put much effort in finding a solution/substitute in a nice way I would suggest to take some action yourself (come on, a smallish vo project and you can't find a solution/substitute? in any audition I have been there were quite few children with the talent and the look that could do the job). In fact everybody would agree that if it was the same agent he/she would have found the way out.

Competition is very high and good occasion don't come out very often. It is a totally different matter if your name is attached to the project in a way that only you can do it, or that your action would cause a damage to the company. The only real problem in this case (as very often happens) is that there was very little time.

This is just my opinion.
JTBmum
GRAMMY Award

Post by JTBmum »

Hallo, thanks for helpful comments. The problem was time. When he went for casting I think agents felt there was some flexibility. However ds was committed through voice over department of same agency and left gone today to the VO motion capture project - they had made suits etc. The TV project had already started filming on Sunday. They offered it to someone else Sunday night who flew out, but they didn't like, so then yesterday agent said they would try to rearrange schedule and asked ds for passport details. In the end they couldnt change schedule (ds not free till next Tuesday) so they have found someone else!!!

Bit of an emotional rollercoaster to say the least!!!
begolina
BAFTA Award

Post by begolina »

NOOOO, what a story. almost but not quite ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)