Stage time or Technique?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

quietattheback
GRAMMY Award

Re: Stage time or Technique?

Post by quietattheback »

I am sorry i dont have an answer, i just wanted to say i know how u feel... It doesnt come cheap! :( we too are having to 'cut' somethings in the new year. I am letting my 9 yr old lead me on this, the important thing is she is doing the things she loves and if something comes of it then great. I hope somebody on here can help guide you... Good luck!
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I'm by no means an expert on dance or MT - but my thoughts are: could you continue with the ballet - which is the basis of so much dance - and perhaps find someone who could give her singing tuition 3 or 4 times a year, just to keep an eye out for any bad habits that might be forming - or maybe look at her joining a choir, where the costs might not be too high?

I think at 9 it's best to be having fun - and she will be learning a lot of useful things with the theatre company - not necessarily about technique, but about rehearsal etiquette and productions and getting on with both adults and children. (I know that both my dc gained huge amounts by being involved with different amateur companies - their social skills came on in leaps and bounds, quite apart from the fun they had).

If she can continue with her flute lessons then her general musical education will continue (and she will focus a lot more on breath control than in many other activities!).

I think that, as far as singing is concerned, that guarding and protecting a young voice is the most important thing (so, no belting or straining) - rather than feeling that she is losing out by not having specific MT lessons.

I think there is masses of time ahead of her for more focussed training.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I think your DD will be able to guide you as to what she wants to do. But if you want my opinion, I would definitely advise that your DD does the thing that is most fun for her, which seems to be the children's theatre group. She will be learning lots of helpful things, including the discipline required to create a show, and you could always ask if the singing teachers at her children's theatre group could give some prompts for technique.

She has all the time in the world to study more seriously, if she chooses to do so.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Deb x
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

My DD didn't have any formal singing lessons until she was 11. She only did dance lessons until that age plus school productions. I would not worry too much as long as she is enjoying herself.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

For what it's worth, I was once told by a well respected vocal coach that they would not give singing lessons to somebody under the age of 16 as the voice is still developing and there would be the risk of damaging the voice. Not saying that I agree or disagree with this but I do think that perhaps you could leave the singing lessons for a while and concentrate on what your dd loves best. My ds didn't have any singing lessons until he was 17 and he has certainly not been held back by this.
All new to me!
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Caroline A-C wrote:I was once told by a well respected vocal coach that they would not give singing lessons to somebody under the age of 16 as the voice is still developing and there would be the risk of damaging the voice.
I'm not a singing teacher but I'm happy to share my experience with Flo, which agrees with Caroline A-C. Flo has always enjoyed singing and also likes taking exams and getting grades (pretty weird, huh?) so she started singing lessons when she was about 6, I think. Her teacher was very clear that there is little she can learn beyond the basics as far as technique goes because her voice is immature. The voice is unlike any other instrument because, if you damage it, you can't go out and buy another. This has been a good lesson for Flo because she understands that she shouldn't push her voice and stays within an appropriate range for her age and capability.

She is learning things like breathing, phrasing, music theory (she can sight-sing reasonably well) and other stuff that I don't understand. She is reaching the equivalent stage, for a girl, of a boy's voice change and we can hear her grown-up tones emerging, which is quite exciting but will take years.

So, from our experience and as Caroline A-C says, it probably won't affect your DD's prospects if she leaves her singing lessons for a while. Especially if she is continuing with her flute which will help her breathing and phrasing and music theory. Just reinforce the guidance that, when she sings, she doesn't over-do anything or strain her voice. If she wants an outlet for her singing, joining a choir can be a good move. They are often free or inexpensive, she will learn to sing in ensemble and follow music vocally including harmonies. She may get some solo opportunities too.

Hope this helps

Deb x
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

I'm sure things weren't so complicated when I was growing up..... If I remember rightly I just did what my mother told me.... :D :D :D :D

Absolutely - don't think we even knew what choice was!!!!

I too have a dd who cannot make a decision. I often say if she can't decide on anything, then best not do do/have anything - that normally gets a result!!!
All new to me!
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

I think that is genius! We all need to learn how to make choices, so why not start now? :lol:

And you could always give the choir-person a call, explain your circumstances, ask their advice and see whether they might audition her for an interim place. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and the worst that can happen is that they say no and you're left just where you are now. Not that I'm pushy or anything, I just believe in asking the question and giving people the chance to say yes. And, who knows, maybe they've had a few drop out and would be grateful for a new, enthusiastic and reliable voice. :lol:

Good luck - let us know what she decides.

Deb x