traditional and folk song choices for festival

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

traditional and folk song choices for festival

Post by mouskouri41 »

This is one for you traditional and folk buffs out there.
Dd will be entering a music festival next year.Light music section-no problem for choices there,she will choose from any number of her musical theatre faves.We have a few ideas for the traditional section-maybe something from Benjamin Brittens Friday afternoons(quite like eeh oh! and new year carol) also looking at Bessie the black cat,or Five Eyes,though any more ideas gratefully received!
Could anyone come up with any folk suggestions?So far we have come up with Molly Malone and that's all really,as many that I have looked at seem to be quite dark and/ or heavy on the love theme(dd only 7 nearly 8 at time of festival)
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Re: traditional and folk song choices for festival

Post by riverdancefan »

have a listen to Kate Rusby ,she does write her own material and also sings classic folk songs too
beautiful voice and talented beyond belief!

try - Annie, or The Elfin Knight, there is also the wonderful Sandy Denney too :lol:

this is my type of music! =D>
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Welsh Mum
OSCAR Award

Post by Welsh Mum »

Try this one - beautiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV29xK2xyZ4

in fact have a look at other Judy Collins as she did a lot of folk songs back in the day (i am showing my age)

My DD sung this one at a St Paddyu's day concert once and it was well recieved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQnS18EeWM

She has also sung Danny Boy (lovely acappella) and Fields of Gold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGwDYBWEDSc
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive.
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

My dd sang "Sweet Bride" (Kate Rusby) for ds's wedding. As it is telling a story, rather than from a "love interest's" point of view, it might be suitable?

It was so lovely :D
possiblypushy
GRAMMY Award

Post by possiblypushy »

'The Ash Grove' is beautiful - I thought it was a traditional Welsh tune, but it says on Youtube that it's Benjamin Britten. Also 'Pretty Polly Oliver' (Trad. English) is lovely. As is 'The Wraggle Taggle Gypsies' - loads of versions of each on YouTube.
mouskouri41
GRAMMY Award

Post by mouskouri41 »

Thanks everyone so much for your responses.
Rdf and pg-Thanks for the Kate Rusby idea-dd is already quite taken with Annie!

Welsh mum-I absolutely love the Farewell to Tarwathie song- really beautiful,hopefully dd will like it too.
Danny Boy is a great idea though I think she will do this justice when she's a bit older and her range is bigger

Possiblypushy-The Ash Grove(!brings back school memories) a great choice and dd likes it too,and one that I could easily get the piano accompaniment for too,no doubt.
Pretty Polly Oliver is also light and melodic enough to appeal to dd.Looks like these two could also be good exam choices having googled these a bit

Many thanks!