WESTEND REHEARSAL SCHEDULE??

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

WESTEND REHEARSAL SCHEDULE??

Post by Georgeoliver »

There has been alot of talk in our house about my ds auditioning for shows in the Westend. I just don't know what to do! I have to think about the what if he did get anywhere...could we really commit to the schedule. Can I have some comments please on how tough the rehearsal schedule is, for example how many hours/days a week it is and for how long. Also what do mums/dads do if you live outside London while a child is rehearsing for a show every night???
I know I am thinking to far ahead but I just would like some info please :D
Que sera sera
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Re: WESTEND REHEARSAL SCHEDULE??

Post by TalyaB »

In our experience (and it certainly varies massively from show to show) it's a huge commitment. For example, for Matilda ensemble (our experience is from Jan 2012, so it could have changed) there were ten weeks of rehearsals in various London locations five days a week - approximately 2-8pm Tuesday to Friday, 10-5pm on a Saturday. Generally rehearsals in school holidays were 10-5 instead, and as the start date approached, the times and location became less predictable. Even once he'd started doing shows (two weekdays and one weekend), there was always an extra weekday afternoon of rehearsal before an evening show, as well as matinees, plus the late nights, and there were often extras that weren't known about until a few days in advance. We live a short way outside London, and as we're both freelance, non-office-based, we would bring the laptop and work from from libraries, cafes, the Actors Centre, the basement at the Curzon cinema etc rather than have the time and expense of travelling in and out twice. I know some parents made their own alternative arrangements, paying someone to do some or all of the transporting, or arranging (at their own expense) for their child to live in London some of the time (there are a couple of places that are set up especially for kids in shows or at stage schools, run by licensed chaperones - PM me if you want details).

For Les Mis (which DS wasn't in) there are two weeks of intense rehearsals, followed by what I was led to believe is an entirely regular cycle for performances, which at least allows for planning. Again, once you're in central London, it's up to you to find how best to use/kill your time.

For shows that say they will cast kids from outside London, it's very different as they have to provide accommodation and schooling. I don't know how it works for Charlie and the Choc Factory or for the Matildas and Bruces in Matilda, but in Billy Elliot the principles (Billy, Michael, Debbie) live together in 'the Billy house' for about week at a time even if they actually live less than an hour from central London (if they're from abroad they go home less often). All their travel is taken care of, as well as schooling when they're at the house, though they still attend their own school for the 8-11 days a month when they're at home. Even for their home leaves, the company is happy to provide a chaperone to take and collect from the station closest to your home if necessary. A very different experience, and much easier in lots of ways, though I'm still finding it very weird having DS living away.

I hope that's some help. Do ask if you have any more questions.
Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

Post by Georgeoliver »

Well this has given me something to think about!! Thanks so much for your response. That is alot of travelling and hanging around. I would do it but I guess you have to think about how it would effect the rest of the family. I have another little person to think about. Looks like trying to get into Billy school may be the easiest option ha ha!! decisions decisions! Does anyone else have any experiences they can talk about? :D
Que sera sera
Caroline A-C
BAFTA Award

Post by Caroline A-C »

It is a fantastic opportunity for your dc to work in the Westend but it is a massive commitment for the entire family. Apart from the rehearsal period and the actual performances, you have to be on standby -there are usual three teams of children so if your dc's double in another team is ill, your dc will have to drop everything and get to the theatre to cover. Also, during the run (typically six months) your dc is not allowed any holiday whatsoever or any days off to attend other events such as family wedding etc. Having said all that, it is the most amazing experience for the children and six months is such a short time in the grand scheme of things.
All new to me!
TalyaB
BAFTA Award

Post by TalyaB »

Good points, Caroline A-C - I'm so used to the 'no time off' that I forgot to even mention it (though DS did say that after Billy he quite fancies having a holiday for the first time in years)

In Matilda, only Matilda and Bruce are scheduled for standby, but in the other parts you're called in, often at extremely short notice (like, leave now!) if another child playing the same part is ill or injured (though if they go off once the show has already started, there's an adult in the cast who can also cover any of the children's parts). In Billy Elliot, Billy, Michael and Debbie all do standby for half the shows when they're 'on', but as they're living in anyway, that doesn't affect you - Tall Boy and Small Boy don't do standby, or live in.

Having said all that, to echo what Caroline A-C said, if you can make it work, it's the most amazing experience - for parents as well as DCs.
Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

Post by Georgeoliver »

Thanks for all the advice :D what part did your ds play in Billy? How often do they audition for the :D shows?
Que sera sera
riverdancefan
OSCAR Award

Post by riverdancefan »

hi hunny !
TalyaB's boy is playing Michael at the moment..started in August this year.

x
"Tall and proud my mother taught me, this is how we dance" - RIVERDANCE
Georgeoliver
GRAMMY Award

Post by Georgeoliver »

Hello ;0) I was wondering as we watched Billy Elliott in May :D All sounds extremely hard work! We will have another think next year, Panto this christmas :D Hope your ok x
Que sera sera