found a job on our own, do we tell agency?

Ask each other for help and advice!

Moderator: busybusybusy

tizzy
BRIT Award

found a job on our own, do we tell agency?

Post by tizzy »

Last edited by tizzy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatKat_0
OSCAR Award

Re: found a job on our own, do we tell agency?

Post by CatKat_0 »

Depends on how well you know the agent and if you're being paid.....
pg
OSCAR Award

Post by pg »

I would always let the agent know. You might be counting yourself out of something bigger that the agent is trying to get you seen for. Also agents can sometimes negotiate better deals etc. In most cases, if the pay is low and the job won't take up lots of time, the agent will be perfectly happy to let you get on with it by yourselves without insisting on commission.

I always offer my agent the commission on work I find for myself (for example, past employers who have come to me direct for a day's ad hoc work) and so far she has always said "thanks, it's not a lot, you keep it".

If it's unpaid then you just need to let your agent know that you will be unavailable for the dates - though I'd still be inclined to tell an agent what you were doing, they might have good advice, or know someone involved/be able to get someone interested in the work etc.

It does depend a bit on what your relationship with your agent is like, as CatKat says.

Personally, for future jobs, I would always be inclined to discuss the application/submission with the agent before applying. They might say - great, go ahead, or they might have a view on the usefulness of it or be able to get better pay etc etc.
Flosmom
OSCAR Award

Post by Flosmom »

Flo's agent actively encourages her to keep her networks going and has never taken commission on a job that came that way. I keep them informed of what she is doing and they are very supportive. So I'd be inclined to drop them a line.

Good luck with the audition

Deb x
tizzy
BRIT Award

Post by tizzy »

Last edited by tizzy on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ditzi
BAFTA Award

Post by Ditzi »

Yes, dd had a short film through them, great experience! Just do some research on who you are working for, if you are happy, than go for it!
sandiek123
BRIT Award

Post by sandiek123 »

Tizzy, is this the Lyons Learning job, by any chance?
Genevieve
BAFTA Award

Post by Genevieve »

tizzy wrote:We have got an audition for a small scale job without the help of our agency is this allowed?! :? Using a casting website
agree with pg, you should tell the agent, as it will also go on your dds c.v. and in case there's any payment/payment negotiation involved, and even if it's unpaid you should call them to agree that your dd does it, which i'm sure they would agree and say it's fine, but it keeps good communication with agent and transparency.